300 WSM vs 300 WM

JakeSCH

Oct 16, 2017
All things considered I am trying to decided if 5 oz is worth going from a 300 WM to a 300 WSM....

300 WM
- Factory Ammo EVERYWHERE (I already have 100 rounds of GMX / TTSX)
- Better Brass available (ADG vs Norma) (plus i have 200 pieces of Hornady / Win / Nosler brass)

300 WSM
- Saves 5 oz on my rifle weight
- Slightly less recoil due to lower powder charges

I already have powder for both (StaBall 6.5 for 300 WSM and RL26 / H1000 for 300 WM). I've heard that reloading 300 WSM can be finicky (even seen guys get jammed in the field and unable to get follow up shots).

I am really torn on this one, would love to hear some thoughts.

Plan on shooting 180 gr Hammers down range.

Have been hunting with a 300 WSM for 15 years. Never had a single issue. Not finicky to reload - just the opposite. Elk hate the cartridge.

Reactions: JakeSCH
Have been hunting with a 300 WSM for 15 years. Never had a single issue. Not finicky to reload - just the opposite. Elk hate the cartridge.

how about brass? I don’t see ADG or Lapua making brass for it.

Going with the WSM you will also get more room in the magazine to load long heavies out further. To me that's more of a benefit than the 5oz's.

The Winchester brass is actually pretty good. Bertram makes brass and so does Nosler. I have been bugging Marlin over at ADG for about a year now and he said he was entertaining the idea. Fingers crossed.

It’s a head scratcher for sure when it comes to how ADG decided which brass to make and not make. Some of their offerings seem very niche. 300WSM seems like a no brainer for them.

8F034079-659C-494E-B45E-01A8F239EC84.png

I reload for my .300wsm and have never had and issue except great results and I am not an expert by an means. I use norma brass.

Reactions: NBK
Going with the WSM you will also get more room in the magazine to load long heavies out further. To me that's more of a benefit than the 5oz's.

I've traditionally heard the opposite about 300 WSM...that unless you have a custom build you cannot go heavy or long with the bullets. I may need to call to see what the mag box length is. If it is the same size as my PRC I will be happy.

Have you guys heard / first hand or 2nd hand experience with issues from Ti actions? I have been reading a lot and I could save the same amount of weight going with a Ti action for ~same price rifle (steel barrel vs carbon fiber wrapped).

I hear some people get nervous about galling with shooting a Ti action with a magnum.

I've traditionally heard the opposite about 300 WSM...that unless you have a custom build you cannot go heavy or long with the bullets. I may need to call to see what the mag box length is. If it is the same size as my PRC I will be happy.
Ok, yes. I understand what you are saying. It depends on what action you go with. Sorry, I should have said that. If you go long action and WSM you get much more bullet options.

Ok, yes. I understand what you are saying. It depends on what action you go with. Sorry, I should have said that. If you go long action and WSM you get much more bullet options.

Very true, but then if you run it in the longer action then you loose out on the weight savings.

Very true, but then if you run it in the longer action then you loose out on the weight savings.
Yes, you're right. Personal preference on that one for sure. For me, functionality almost always beats out weight savings. Just my $0.02.

The trouble with any of the short action rounds is the super long high bc bullets have to be seated deep to fit the magazines and to fit a factory chamber. Factory guns in the wsm class are short action so even if you throat them with a uni throater you can't fit them in the mag. In a custom rig you can set the bullets to have 200/thousandths bering surface in the case and use a long action mag. Feeding can be hit or miss this way with the nose diving down in the mag. My 7 saum almost fills a la aics 300wm magazine :)

The trouble with any of the short action rounds is the super long high bc bullets have to be seated deep to fit the magazines and to fit a factory chamber. Factory guns in the wsm class are short action so even if you throat them with a uni throater you can't fit them in the mag. In a custom rig you can set the bullets to have 200/thousandths bering surface in the case and use a long action mag. Feeding can be hit or miss this way with the nose diving down in the mag. My 7 saum almost fills a la aics 300wm magazine :)
Not so with Tikkas. All Tikkas are long action even in the short chamberings. The length of the bolt stop is the only difference, which can easily be swapped out and changed.

Reactions: BBH and TRICER
X2 Tikka would be a great build for this in 300WSM. Not the best for standard length builds since the action limits the COAL you can run. I am experiencing that now with my build. I think I can get the 175 Berger bullet to hit the lands and still feed but it's real close. I will know more once I get the build back from Cerakote.

My vote Rem 700 300WM Titanium action, Wyatt's extended mag box will save weight over a mag, 22" carbon fiber Sendero light barrel with brake, carbon fiber game scout style stock, the new Vortex Razor HD LHT. This should come in around 8lbs. Shoot the 215 Bergers with N570 around 2900FPS and that gun will be a long range hammer on Elk. Then bring it down to the Plaster City Cup and embarrass all the 30 Noslers.

PS I bet with 300WM you could get 3000FPS out of the 214HH with N570 no problem.

@JakeSCH just go down to FFA give @NBK a blank check and turn him loose. I love spending other peoples money. You can never have to many guns they are like money in the bank. Well that's what I tell myself at least.

@JakeSCH just go down to FFA give @NBK a blank check and turn him loose. I love spending other peoples money. You can never have to many guns they are like money in the bank. Well that's what I tell myself at least.

Haha you should have sent that 2 hours ago when i was there!!!

In all seriousness I am attempting to not spend money like crazy (i'm doing a very very bad job at it) because cash been doubling itself in this crazy stock market. Most likely I will buy the CA Mesa Ti in 300 WM because it checks all the boxes (except a directional brake), but there is still a chance I step up to a Fierce Rival.

I love Sako's and Tikka's but just not a fan of the twist rates and if I need to shoot a 180 gr or less I might as well use my .308 with the hammers.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu