431 YDS..

HATCHET1

"yes,it killed the hound..ferocious bitch she was"
Aug 2, 2013
And waiting for him to stand up...day 3 duckers..send some mojo for #3 to finish today...got a good mule buck in the glass...weatherby is dialed in over the pack...soon as he stands up...its go time ...leftys make me nervous...uggh..damn kid takes after his mama...lord give strength..20201114_093041.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
A brutal end..and a good lesson learned for #3... bummer is an understatement...

Attachments

• 20201115_072800.jpg
    20201115_072800.jpg
    233.3 KB · Views: 115
Brutally painful as the follow up shot went "click " as we approached the trophy...only to watch him disappear into the sunset..forever out of our lives ...

Thats a long shot for anyone..... I had my click back in the day. Still think about that one and how my life and living room would look different had I not had a “ click “ that day lol shake it off! It only gets worse as you think about daily.

Reactions: HATCHET1
Theres definitely a learning lesson for him there...he will play it back in his head for years im sure...sucks to loose any mammal..this one cuts a little deeper..as he was belly up and came to life on the boy at 5 ft...real nice buck though..dandy if you will....uggh..

So what happened here? Kind of new to this game so I'm not sure what I'm looking at and what happened.
Boy shoots deer..deer flops over backwards and lays there motuonless for 30mins..boy treks over to deer...deer gets up and bolts..boy raises rifle to finish deer..rifle goes click..deer escapes into 10ft tall mesquite wash with choyo cactus and catclaws...never to be seen again...boy is pretty bummed. Thats it in a nutshell. Deer 1...boy 0... you are looking at high leg bone... above elbow...below shoulder...

Last edited:
very unfortunate...where do you guys think you hit him? Last year my hunting partner lost a cow elk and we found similar bone / cartilage like that. Could never figure out where he hit em.

very unfortunate...where do you guys think you hit him? Last year my hunting partner lost a cow elk and we found similar bone / cartilage like that. Could never figure out where he hit em.
Right front leg..above elbow..below shoulder...would be a humerus bone in a human..." good blood for awile..petered out to minimal..then zero after awhile..needed another 2 inches higher..to take out the apex of the heart..deer stood up and front leg was stretched out pointing down hill...total bummer for sure...that was a problem..bigger problem and learning lesson here was boy3 was not ready to Rock upon walking up on him..he'll be ready from now on thats for sure..kid has about 10 under his belt..got compliant on this one...tuff lesson learned

that is tough. i assumed the "click" was a misfire on the round when I first read it.

Its a good reminder for all of us

Not trying to give you a bad time, just my opinion, but 431 yards, a quarter of a mile is a shot that shouldn’t be taken by any but an experienced hunter and well practiced expert marksman. Based on the outcome looks like the shot should not have been taken. I wasn’t there and it’s obviously your and your sons call but it should give you something to think about next time.

Reactions: Handgun
Not trying to give you a bad time, just my opinion, but 431 yards, a quarter of a mile is a shot that shouldn’t be taken by any but an experienced hunter and well practiced expert marksman. Based on the outcome looks like the shot should not have been taken. I wasn’t there and it’s obviously your and your sons call but it should give you something to think about next time.
That boy has prolly forgot about more mammals hes shot and killed than you will see in your life...but thanks for the opinion...and your right..you weren't there and have 0 knowledge of the equipment we use or his shooting ability...kid dropped a shot..thats it..the post here is to educate... seasoned dudes and Fngs alike... i suggest you re read it.

That boy has prolly forgot about more mammals hes shot and killed than you will see in your life...but thanks for the opinion...and your right..you weren't there and have 0 knowledge of the equipment we use or his shooting ability...kid dropped a shot..thats it..the post here is to educate... seasoned dudes and Fngs alike... i suggest you re read it.
Read it thoroughly.. you know nothing about me. I’ve hunted longer and probably taken more game than you and your son combined. Just expressing an opinion. No reason for you to get upset. But I will say the results appear to support what I said. Oh well at least the coyotes and scavengers will eat well .

Reactions: Handgun
Read it thoroughly.. you know nothing about me. I’ve hunted longer and probably taken more game than you and your son combined. Just expressing an opinion. No reason for you to get upset. But I will say the results appear to support what I said. Oh well at least the coyotes and scavengers will eat well .
This is funny..im gonna have him read it and maybe he will put away his model 94 with the straight tasco 4x . That will prolly do it..lol..

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu