4th Season Colorado Cow hunt

Wister Junkie

Nov 2, 2016
Headed to CO for 4th season. I've been to the unit before, but still got up a day early to scout. Only saw 2 elk, but made a plan to get to the draw they were in a daybreak. Hiked in opening morning, but only found a bunch of deer. That night and next morning nothing. Day 2 we headed about 60 miles away to check out a part of the unit I've never been. It was a good move, saw a few cows and a bull as soon as we got there. I set up on a draw and had a group of cows run by and go down onto a patch of private and head to BLM. I was able to drop down to BLM and headed the direction I last saw them. I crested a canyon and saw the cows going up the steep wall of a canyon 283 yards away. One shot from the .338 Remington Ultra Mag and she collapsed and tumbled down the cliff they were on. Straight through the spine and out the chest, instant lights out. Saw elk every morning and afternoon, but bro and buddy just missed getting their own. Fun time and learned a new area. 20201119_160005.jpg

Congrats, Hope your shoulder is OK after the 338 ultra experience. Worked up a load for friend afew years ago and even on a sled I called him up and told him my shoulder was too purple and I was flinching to the point that he needed to finish the load work up. P.S he killed a nice bull in NM shortly after at 417 yards with two shots both were lethal.

Congrats, Hope your shoulder is OK after the 338 ultra experience. Worked up a load for friend afew years ago and even on a sled I called him up and told him my shoulder was too purple and I was flinching to the point that he needed to finish the load work up. P.S he killed a nice bull in NM shortly after at 417 yards with two shots both were lethal.
I've been shooting the Ultra Mag for about 5 years, I'm a big guy and recoil is not bad. The gun shoots sub MOA groups with factory ammo, so love the setup I have

Nicely done. The cow hunts are among my favorite. Thanks for sharing.

Congratulations, some great meat!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu