6.5 Creedmore?

Fowl Play

Nov 12, 2014
vimeo.com
Hey guys,

A know there’s quite a few accomplished shooters on this board – so figured I’d ask for some opinions. Looking to upgrade my primary deer rifle for next season. My trusty model 70, .270 has brought down quite a few animals, and I love the thing, but it’s really a 300 yard hunting gun at this point – it’s a pre ’64 and barrel is just not what is used to be. Plan would be to get a new gun that will allow me to hold a hunting grouping out to ~500 yards and keep the old .270 as a backup (or for when I feel like getting nostalgic on a hunt). I originally was just planning on getting a new .270, but after doing some research, the 6.5 creedmoor has been piquing my interest. Looks like a little less recoil and a little less energy than .270 out to 500 yards, but has less wind drift (and then at 500 yards it actually takes over carrying more velocity and energy). Anyways, are there any real negatives for going the 6.5 creedmoor route over the .270 for a deer rifle? When I have to go non-lead, will the lower velocity be detrimental? The increased performance at long range, sounds nice for target practice, but not really sure I’m going to take advantage of that in the field.

Last edited:
I do not have one but I researched it a lot as I was looking into buying one. The only downside I found was that the brass is special. If the caliber was to lose popularity(which I don't see it doing but you never know) brass could become pretty expensive.

I was actually leaning towards the 260 Remington. It shoots the same bullets and has pretty similar ballistics. The brass is just 308 brass necked down to 260 so you could make the brass yourself if needed.

If you don't reload then I would choose whichever one has a better selection of factory loaded ammo.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
I don’t reload for the 6.5c nor have i really looked into 6.5c but why would non lead be slower speeds then lead. Everything I shoot is faster in non lead not slower.

The 6. 5cm is not going away any time soon. It's a fine round as long as you know it's limitations. It's not a 1k yard big game cleaner and never will be. NBK would tell you just get a 260 :) there is no magic sauce with the 6.5cm it's just another 6.5mm

500 yards is a long long ways in a hunting gun. If you really want to shoot that far and kill stuff a bit more gun is not the worst idea.

6.5rsaum avaliable at fine firearms :)

Last edited:
Reactions: josecasillas
Check out Garrett (Taft Hunter). If I'm not mistaken he kills with a 6.5cm.

it would be great to get info what rifle manufacturer every one is using.. I thinking to improve my shooting distance.. I like the 260.

GSP -- the velocity question I had was more geared towards if the 6.5 would be pushing the bullet fast enough at range to get proper expansion. From a quick google search online it looks like Barnes (and other manufacturers) recommend a minimum of 1800-2000fps for proper expansion of copper. Looking at data for a 143 gr round, looks like it will stay above 2000fps out to 500 yards.

Aeon--- 500 yards is definitely a long long ways, heck I've never even shot that far. Just looking to finally take the time to practice and get a setup capable of doing that. Do you think a 6.5 is an irresponsible 500 yard gun on deer sized game? From looking at load data it seems to have almost the exact same performance as a 130 gr. 270 at 500, and I've never heard that suggested as not enough gun.

One other question in regards to .260 vs creedmoor. Any specific reason for the .260? Just looking around seems like the are way more options on factory ammunition being made in 6.5 creedmoor. And it's almost 50% cheaper for match grade ammo? If I told you I was not currently planning on reloading my own, would that change your recommendation?

And thanks guys for all the advice thus far.

Last edited:
I'm a huge fan of shooting smaller cartiges with efficient cases that push high bc bullets. Case in point what I do with a 6mm woa.

General rule of thumb is 1000ftlb of energy for deer size game. Let's say you drive a 140 vld at 2700fps you take 1k ftlb out to almost 700 yards not to bad. Now a ttsx zipping along 2900 only takes you to 490yards. So yes its enough gun for 500. You can definitely target shoot to 1k yards with the VLD no problem! For that you just need to keep it super sonic.

Just get your gun and go shoot a lot!

The next shoot up in Taft @TaftHunter is a great place to learn to stretch it out

Tom, I am using a .260 Rem now for general CA hunting, shooting factory loads of 142gr Federal Premium Game King. This scenario drops below 1K ft-lbs force beyond 550 yards, so that would be my limit with this rifle for the reasons Aeon stated, even if I were set up in ideal conditions to take a longer shot. The rifle itself with that round is good to 650 yards at the target range, but I wouldn’t try to kill a buck with it beyond what I believe is its lethal range. 2 cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: josecasillas
A Supplement to Aeons post -

Real life Data:

I shoot a 95 grain HV GS Custom bullet out of my .260 (factory ammo). The G1 BC is 0.421 and the muzzle velocity @ 59° is 3365 FPS. At the 500 yard mark the bullet is still traveling @ 2270 FPS and generating 1085#'s of energy. Animals will fall as if hit by the hammer of Thor!

Conversely, my son's rifle is loaded with Barnes 127 grain LRX's in his .260 (factory ammo). The G7 BC is 0.227 and the muzzle velocity @ 59° is 2910 FPS. At the 600 yard mark the the bullet is still traveling @ 1811 FPS and generating 925#'s of energy. Animals will fall like a stone.

These are real values and outperform that of a 6.5 Creedmoor regarding downrange energy on game. And one of the benefits of the .260 (and 6.5 Creedmoor) is there is relatively no recoil.

Good stuff Maynard...

I own 6.5 even though I really didnt want to. The Bergara line of rifles out of the factory really caught my eye and It was in 308 or 6.5 and being that i already had the 308 covered id jump on a 6.5 with the rest of the creed guys. The 6.5 is a good round but as others have stated it can be limited. Shot placement is also key! But in the paper punching world send it! Im humping my 6.5 this season to see how it does. Or you can just go talk to NBK and let them square you away with a really nice 260 and a Creed like me!

Reactions: NBK and Bonejour
I'm still enjoying my 30-06 shooting the 168 Barnes. With handloads, have it up to 2950 FPS with plenty of recoil! Have it punching paper very accurate out to 600 yards.

My next gun (if I ever have a next gun) will probably be a 280 AI

Reactions: NBK
Thanks guys for the recommendations. What rifles are you using for your .260's? Was looking at going the tikka route. Love the action and a detachable mag but not in love with the black stocks. So may upgrade to a sako A7.

1911 -- Those Bergara HMR's caught my eyes as well, look like a steal at that price point. But at 9 1/4 lbs for just a bare rifle I'll have to pass for a dedicated hunting rig, they really do look great though!

Ocurtis -- there is nothing wrong with an '06. I have killed quite a few animals with one. .280AI or a .270WSM were also on my radar as a combo elk/deer rig that would still be fun to shoot in a light rifle (without a brake). Have a buddy who's giving me a .300 win mag at a killer price though... so thinking I'm going to be a two setup man. .300 for the large critters and a smaller/less punishing gun for deer that I also would enjoy shooting for long stints at the range.

Reactions: Ocurtis
The '06 is about as simple as it gets. The 280 AI is very tempting because of the additional FPS and the increased BC that can be obtained. Like you said, it is nice being able to shoot them comfortably without a break. Although, as hot as if have my '06 shooting right now, it is borderline uncomfortable. The 168 from the factory stated 2850 FPS, but it was actually about 2730. I will be hunting elk with it next week, I will update everyone on the results.

The 260 remington is a tempting purchase, especially as my wife gets into hunting. Would be a great round for her.

I have a Browning lever action 7mm-08 I am considering selling if you know anyone looking for a gun like this. Bought thinking it would be a good gun for the wife but I would rather get her something that kicks less.

Tom I picked up a Tikka T3x in 260. It’s a great gun. Very accurate when cold but after about 8 shots it starts getting a little erratic. But it is a lightweight hunting rifle not a paper puncher. Hopefully I will let you know how it does on Elk after my hunt this weekend.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu