7 PRC

JakeSCH

Oct 16, 2017
What do you guys think of the new 7 PRC? In my opinion it looks like the perfect hunting cartridge, can't wait until some good brass is made for it.

I really like that it is designed for heavier 7mm pills at a 3.34" COAL while still dead in the middle of the 7 RM and 28 Nosler in terms of velocity. I have liked the 7 LRM from gunwerks and this is basically the same thing but will be everywhere in a couple of years.

I am thinking my tikka will be converted next year.

It is a cool cartridge for sure. It is entering into a already busy 7mm market. Time will tell whether it becomes popular mainstream.

Reactions: MJB
I had a 6.5 Creedmoor but sold it and got a nice 6.5 PRC, a Mauser M18. Great rifle. The 6.5 PRC does not have the recoil of the 7 PRC and it handles 143 grain ELD-X bullets very well. You can get about 2850 foot pounds of energy out of it and out at about 300 yards, the energy and velocity exceed the 30-06.
It is entirely adequate for deer, bear, hogs, and elk. A lot of guides won't allow their clients to use the 6.5 Creedmoor for elk, but almost all allow the 6.5 PRC. You might want to take a look at it.

I need to amend my statement above. Hornady just came out with new load data for the 6.5 PRC and using Alliant RL-25 and the Hornady 143 grain ELD-X [ballistic coefficient .623] the load produces 3050 foot pounds of energy at the muzzle and 2250 foot pounds at 300 yards. That's well beyond most factory ammo for the 30-06. I shoot mine quite a bit and the recoil is about the same as a .270. The 7 PRC looks good but the recoil is about the same as a 7mm mag and like most new cartridges, reloading supplies and factory ammo can be impossible to get.

There are so many new cartridges hitting the market today and they all make the old regulars [270, 308, 30-06] look out-dated. If I were to get one rifle for all western big game, it would be the 6.5 PRC in an ultralight rifle, like the Kimber Mountain Ascent. Fully loaded with scope and sling, it would weigh about 7 1/4 pounds. I'm getting too old to lug a 9 pound rifle up and down the hills.

Reactions: Stikbrandon
Hornady and it's marketing making a splash for new buyers!

What's the recoil? Bet it's near 300wm

I'm all for pushing the longer & heavier bullets, I bought into the 6.8 Western so I'm done for awhile.

Reactions: NBK
I need to amend my statement above. Hornady just came out with new load data for the 6.5 PRC and using Alliant RL-25 and the Hornady 143 grain ELD-X [ballistic coefficient .623] the load produces 3050 foot pounds of energy at the muzzle and 2250 foot pounds at 300 yards. That's well beyond most factory ammo for the 30-06. I shoot mine quite a bit and the recoil is about the same as a .270. The 7 PRC looks good but the recoil is about the same as a 7mm mag and like most new cartridges, reloading supplies and factory ammo can be impossible to get.

There are so many new cartridges hitting the market today and they all make the old regulars [270, 308, 30-06] look out-dated. If I were to get one rifle for all western big game, it would be the 6.5 PRC in an ultralight rifle, like the Kimber Mountain Ascent. Fully loaded with scope and sling, it would weigh about 7 1/4 pounds. I'm getting too old to lug a 9 pound rifle up and down the hills.

I am younger and dumb so that has lead me to be fairly recoil insensitive. I do have a 6.5 PRC but have been wanting to add a 7 rem mag or 28 nosler to my tool set.

The 7 PRC basically standardizes all the custom options that you would put into a custom 7 rem mag, just like the 300 PRC does for the 300 WM.
I like the 7 PRC because it is more efficient than the 28 Nosler and can be built on a tikka action sitting my safe.

Reactions: Stikbrandon
I am younger and dumb so that has lead me to be fairly recoil insensitive. I do have a 6.5 PRC but have been wanting to add a 7 rem mag or 28 nosler to my tool set.

The 7 PRC basically standardizes all the custom options that you would put into a custom 7 rem mag, just like the 300 PRC does for the 300 WM.
I like the 7 PRC because it is more efficient than the 28 Nosler and can be built on a tikka action sitting my safe.
I had two Tikka Lites in stainless, one .243 and the other 30-06. In my opinion, the engineering in these rifles was by far the highest quality of any rifles I've ever owned. You absolutely, positively, can't go wrong with your Tikka. Best of luck and show us the pix when finished.

280AI - King of efficiency!

That it is!! I am just trying to figure out what I want to turn my old tikka into. Tempted to sell my current 6.5 PRC and turn the tikka into one with a faster twist. That or the 7 PRC.

I was also tempted into making the tikka into a LA 300 WSM but I have to many 30 cal magnums.

7PRC seems pretty cool. I too had some interest in the 7LRM. I currently only have a 7SS in the .284 realm, Super cool cartridge. I would definitely consider the PRC if I had a long action.

280AI it will feed way better and you will get more in the box.

I like the 280ai a lot, but left wanting a little bit more. I have a problem...

I also did not like having to seat the bullet deep on my tikka. I know you can get around that, but the 7 PRC seems to be designed around the tikka action for heavy bullets.

I like the 280ai a lot, but left wanting a little bit more. I have a problem...

I also did not like having to seat the bullet deep on my tikka. I know you can get around that, but the 7 PRC seems to be designed around the tikka action for heavy bullets.

Makes sense. The Tikka is a great build donar.

I throated my 280AI to seat the 169 Hammer and 175 Berger. Plenty of velocity and super accurate.

Makes sense. The Tikka is a great build donar.

I throated my 280AI to seat the 169 Hammer and 175 Berger. Plenty of velocity and super accurate.

Have you thought about trying the 180 ELD-M in your 280ai? I know a lot of guys using them for hunting and with the .4 g7 bc, should be insane improvement against the wind.

I am running 175 Berger’s in my Tikka with all kinds of room in the mag. Red Snake Bottom Metal. I think I am gonna make the jump over to the 140 or 155 hammers still kicking it around.
Jake you have a really cool wife!
F9F7BF72-52BB-4A53-9B7D-F551C6402654.jpeg

Reactions: NBK and Stikbrandon

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu