A clean miss

msailor

Jan 30, 2014
San Diego
I sat in my spot from 0530 until about 830 then I decided to walk up the hill a little and in 20 yards I had a stare down with a nice 3x3. My wind was good so he just stood there while my heart raced and my leg started to get numb. It felt like forever. He looked away and stared to go up the hill so I took a quick range 38 yards and took about three steps and we started the stare down again. This time a bush was in the way and I was shaking by now. After a few more heart racing minutes I slowly tried to range him again but he started to move a little faster this time but not spooked. He stepped from behind the bush and I grunted at him and took the shot. The arrow went under him and he was gone. I have been hitting the range weekly since July and my groups were good but I did not take into the account that the shot was uphill for one thing but I am still questioning why I missed. I should have taken another range but I did not have time. I ranged the the spot and it was 41 yards. Of course I was pretty damn excited too. At least it was clean and it was a good lesson learned as I have not been in that situation in a long time with a bow in my hand. He was below the oaks in front of the low brush. Wish it was gun season I would be having heart for dinner. Back at it next weekend

676850a6a4cadc22a90d9533ca8cce08.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The stare down must have been intense! Nice try. I hope you score soon.

It was felt like 20 minutes but probably was less the 5 and thanks I will let everyone know for sure!

Last edited:
Dang Matt.....Thanks for sharing.....Been in that same position and still exciting after all these years.

Yep got my ticker going for sure even had time to try and calm down but still was exciting and cool to be that close to more than a forky!

Hi. Msailor
Sometimes I think these deer have invisible force fields.
Thanks for sharing , it sounded exciting. Buck fever does strange
Pressure.
It should be there next week.
23 days sure went by fast.
I only got out once.
Hopefully I can get out rifle season.
Best
Longbow

Reactions: msailor
Hi. Msailor
Sometimes I think these deer have invisible force fields.
Thanks for sharing , it sounded exciting. Buck fever does strange
Pressure.
It should be there next week.
23 days sure went by fast.
I only got out once.
Hopefully I can get out rifle season.
Best
Longbow

Thanks longbow hope you get out there and I hope he is there next week. If I get another opportunity and miss again I don’t know I will share that!!

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Thanks longbow hope you get out there and I hope he is there next week. If I get another opportunity and miss again I don’t know I will share that!!

Hi Msailor
No worries, my old partner and had the same issues, except he was in his 30 + years old. I was in my late 50-60 years old. I let him take the first shots. Trying to get his first deer.
But no excuses we both kept slacking. I figured out I am a better rifleman than a bowman.
Most of our misses was during spot and stock. Where I hunt the deer are really spooked easy. Due to hunting pressure.
To my experience these are the reasons why we missed, and I learned.
No time to range properly.
For example range the deer, then any objects close by.

Shooting uneven terrain.
Not flat like at the range.
The forest does crazy optical
Illusion.

Deer jumping the string.
Deer reacting to bow noise.

I was a die hard fixed broad head
Guy not any more. I switched to mechanicals and heavy broad heads and arrows due to wind where I hunt does strange arrow flight.

Last is my thoughts is controlling
My buck fever. Yep me too.
My heart about jump out of my chest. Legs get shaky. LOL.

Just my thoughts.
Your not alone.
Longbow

Hi Msailor
No worries, my old partner and had the same issues, except he was in his 30 + years old. I was in my late 50-60 years old. I let him take the first shots. Trying to get his first deer.
But no excuses we both kept slacking. I figured out I am a better rifleman than a bowman.
Most of our misses was during spot and stock. Where I hunt the deer are really spooked easy. Due to hunting pressure.
To my experience these are the reasons why we missed, and I learned.
No time to range properly.
For example range the deer, then any objects close by.

Shooting uneven terrain.
Not flat like at the range.
The forest does crazy optical
Illusion.

Deer jumping the string.
Deer reacting to bow noise.

I was a die hard fixed broad head
Guy not any more. I switched to mechanicals and heavy broad heads and arrows due to wind where I hunt does strange arrow flight.

Last is my thoughts is controlling
My buck fever. Yep me too.
My heart about jump out of my chest. Legs get shaky. LOL.

Just my thoughts.
Your not alone.
Longbow

Thanks longbowhunter2 a I am a better rifleman too and yep should ranged some other spots when I had the chance and thanks for the great advice. May switch to mechanicals as well since I lost an arrow in the brush today but found my miss. Nice to let the young guy get a deer. My hunting partner has never taken one and usually I give him the chance first. But we were not together today. Learned a lot today and remembered a lot too. That’s why I love it as I am sure you do you can’t get that experience anyway else.

Thanks longbowhunter2 a I am a better rifleman too and yep should ranged some other spots when I had the chance and thanks for the great advice. May switch to mechanicals as well since I lost an arrow in the brush today but found my miss. Nice to let the young guy get a deer. My hunting partner has never taken one and usually I give him the chance first. But we were not together today. Learned a lot today and remembered a lot too. That’s why I love it as I am sure you do you can’t get that experience anyway else.

Hi Msailor
One of my issues has been a noise draw and release.
I would aim for the heart and release, deer heard the string
And by the time the arrow
Got the deer it had started
To jump. Thus arrow under the deer.

This story was about 4-5 years ago
I spotted a forked horn on ridge about 40 yards, easy f_n shot. I thought in my head. Like I said some times these deer have invisible force field. As I released the arrow. I watched in disbelief the arrow wander. Blew the fricken shot.
I use to practice every fricken day.
That was an easy shot.
The deer bounced away.
LOL
Longbow

No issue with him jumping the arrow today but your story sounds familiar as I watched that arrow drop in disbelief! This is 50 yards last week.

2bd153aca86a608d1ebae1d7c40046f0.jpg

No issue with him jumping the arrow today but your story sounds familiar as I watched that arrow drop in disbelief! This is 50 yards last week.

2bd153aca86a608d1ebae1d7c40046f0.jpg

That's good f_n shots and grouping.
Yes it gets complicated why we miss.
Could have been range finder laser
Recorded incorrectly. Maybe hit dead thin branch or leaf. Many
Possibilities. The way our form was, the arrow released a little off.
But this I do know. Unless the range finder has a bow horizontal compensation. It's tough to judge the actual horizontal distance.
But that usually causes an over shoot. Because the direct distance will be more than the horizontal distance. 90 degree right triangle.
Hypotenuse verses the side adjacent.
Best
Longbow

That's good f_n shots and grouping.
Yes it gets complicated why we miss.
Could have been range finder laser
Recorded incorrectly. Maybe hit dead thin branch or leaf. Many
Possibilities. The way our form was, the arrow released a little off.
But this I do know. Unless the range finder has a bow horizontal compensation. It's tough to judge the actual horizontal distance.
But that usually causes an over shoot. Because the direct distance will be more than the horizontal distance. 90 degree right triangle.
Hypotenuse verses the side adjacent.
Best
Longbow

Ok now your talking about math that’s a whole new level of me questioning the shot! Seriously thanks you have given me a great deal to think about and mentally prepare for the next time!

I'm shaking just reading it, stay at it you'll get him, nice looking trail you got there

Thanks Steveo! I did not get much sleep last night as I was still thinking about that shot and what i could have done differently. Time to hit the range this week and get back out there! There are trails all over this spot so I think there will be some meat in the freezer!

I would tell you don't let it eat you alive but I would be a hypocrite I hate missing way more than I love connecting. Keep after him and put him in the cross hairs next month. Pretty funny how some antlers get in front of us and all of a sudden we turn to jello.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu