A little help

hunter

Nov 26, 2012
I'm looking for someone willing to pass on a little knowledge about hunting the colorado river. I have aquired all or most of the gear but have very little experience. I'm willing to put in the time but experience is vital. I'm not looking for your honey hole but I've heard the more hunters the better. Like dove, keep them moving.. pm me if your willing ,thanks.

Hunter,

What part of the river?...It's constantly changing...Do you have a boat?...Because that's the way you're going to find spots to hunt.

Google earth or OnX will give you a start and idea where there's open backwater.

Yeah steve, I have all those tools but just the lack of knowledge of the area. I know the yuma area( martinez to picacho) pretty good but would like to get some first hand info from other river hunters.. launch areas,etc.. Most of my river experience is fishing and play. I don't know anyone who hunts the river they just party.
I met a guy a couple years ago when i was helping plant birds at a youth pheasant hunt with Cal but didn't have the desire. He was willing to talk but I did not follow up. my bad.
Anyways I thought I'd ask now so I have time to work on spots for next season.Thanks,mike.

The LCRA club ( lower Colorado river association ) is not easy to learn. years to learn how to get consistent limits. My brother Mike Besaw RIP was the river king down there, god i miss his grumpy ass. Anyways the best way to learn the river is to go and fail a bunch. As you fail you will learn. After a while you will figure it out. A mix of setup hunting and jump shooting and working your ass off will get it done. you can get up on the hills around that area and just watch what others are doing. keep in mind that area is hunted 7 days a week.

the idea that more hunters are better is only true to a point. in the case of that area is not true. If it gets hunted hard the next day will be slow. To much closed area around there for the birds to stay on.

Hunted it for many years, no one is going to give up info very easily. It took me a lot of seasons of exploring and figuring out where the birds like to be. I got to know a lot of the regulars but we never traded much info.

I really never understood that mentality. Everyone talks about passing it on so that others can keep hunting strong. You still have to put in the work reguardless and in return can get some new intel in exchange. I don't want to be spoon fed, just want to exchange some real intel with follow hunters with the same passion..
I'm not new to the game just looking for another option. thanks

In this case it's easy, if we posted Intel it would be flooded with hunters and drive the birds out. Even just talking about this brings new people down.

Have you gone out at dawn to see what's up in the area you mentioned?

The season is over but you can still go scout. The birds have not left yet

didnt want you to post your intel on this thread if you read the original post. I thought this forum is for discussion and info exchange , not just tag, bag, and brag. No ,l have not been down there recently but plan on it in the months to come. Thats why I am doing some research now so I can narrow my search and reduce some waisted fuel.
Moving on to better things,out.

Passing it on has to do with heritage and technique and not spots. Discussion yes, sites and private intel no. Thats the way it is with site sensitive year to year hunting in very narrow margins to hunt that produce. Do some work and you will begin to get a feel. No one gives up their spots in this overly hunted environment. Don't get your feelings that's just the way it is.

reduce some waisted fuel.

What about the fuel that others have wasted?

Freelance duck hunting takes a TON of scouting. Plain and simple. Scouting now could get you some areas for next year. At least a starting point.

I agree with Aeon (and I don't hunt the LCRA) in that more hunters does not mean good things. I prefer to find the X and decoy the birds up close. Having others around you shooting can flare them and added pressure overall doesnt help.

When freelancing, scouting one day and hunting the next always works best. This can be hard to do for many, me included. For me, this means two days away from the house instead of one, which can be tough on my kids.

Amen. I didn't make time to scout this season and had a few crappy outings. Meanwhile, the guys on the other side of the pond were having great shoots, so if I'd have put in the time I would've been over there. Freelancing is all about getting out there and finding a little honey hole puddle where the ducks may land or at least pass through.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu