A new famliy member x2!

msailor

Jan 30, 2014
San Diego
So we have adopted two yes two lab mix puppies that are about 12 weeks old. What they are mixed with something but I don't know what it is and don't care. They were rescued from someone that was giving them away at only 6 weeks old with no regard for shots or anything so they were taken in by a rescue since it is illegal to give away puppies less then 8 weeks old. I was only planning on taking the female but the wife convinced me to take both of them. We have only had them for a week and having both of them around has worked out as they have someone to play with besides us humans. So let the training begin! I have not had the pleasure of training a dog in years but I am going to take my time and train them to be good dogs overall not just a hunting dog. The female loves the water, if that water bowl was bigger she would have jumped right in. Don't know how the male will do since they have just been fixed and we can't bathe them yet. Both of them like to retrieve but have a very short attention span so I will be working on that after they have mastered the basic commands. So wish me luck!

IMG_9681.jpg 20170725_200227.jpg

Right on bro ! I rescued my dog she is lab and something else and would run her with any other lab on this forum!

If they have they drive they can be trained !

Attachments

• IMG_1212.jpg
    IMG_1212.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1187.JPG
    IMG_1187.JPG
    321.3 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0776.JPG
    IMG_0776.JPG
    259.3 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1114.JPG
    IMG_1114.JPG
    662.9 KB · Views: 21
Reactions: NBK and msailor
Right on bro ! I rescued my dog she is lab and something else and would run her with any other lab on this forum!

If they have they drive they can be trained !
Thanks for the shout out and the pics motivate me to get them ready for duck season but I am not going to push it by next year they better be ready!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Have them gun broke but duck season and just take them out and let them have fun, next thing you know your pups will be eager to train, keep the training simple at first and always 10-15 mins a session.

Lots of love and effection when they do well and patients when they act like puppys

Reactions: msailor
Have them gun broke but duck season and just take them out and let them have fun, next thing you know your pups will be eager to train, keep the training simple at first and always 10-15 mins a session.

Lots of love and effection when they do well and patients when they act like puppys
Got it thanks for the advice!

No loud noises or gun breaking until they are at least five to six months old. Puppies go through what are called fear periods during the first five to six months of age and if they encounter something that they perceive as traumatic or unsettling you can ruin the dog forever. I can't tell you the number of young dogs that have been brought to us with this problem because the owner thought it would be a good idea to get them started early and have asked us to help them fix it, its almost 100 % unfixable when this happens. Other than basic obedience and play with feathers and dead birds we don't recommend you start serious training until they reach this age.

Reactions: msailor
No loud noises or gun breaking until they are at least five to six months old. Puppies go through what are called fear periods during the first five to six months of age and if they encounter something that they perceive as traumatic or unsettling you can ruin the dog forever. I can't tell you the number of young dogs that have been brought to us with this problem because the owner thought it would be a good idea to get them started early and have asked us to help them fix it, its almost 100 % unfixable when this happens. Other than basic obedience and play with feathers and dead birds we don't recommend you start serious training until they reach this age.
Thanks for the advice! I did not know about fear periods so i will wait until they are five to six months old. That will be October/November. I have alot of work to do anyway with the basics.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu