Advice Needed! I drew the Sleepy Creek Ranch Bear Hunt through the SHARE Program!

SD Mike

Proud member of BH&A, RMEF and NWTF.
Feb 25, 2015
San Diego
So I drew a SHARE hunt! 2 day bear at Sleepy Creek Ranch weekend of December 5. Crazy how little time they give to prepare, but hey, here I am! I am wondering if anyone has any experience hunting this particular SHARE hunt or this particular area? I may have to take one or two unpaid days off work to make this hunt a go, and I don't want to head out there as ill-prepared as I am now. Is it worth it to go, or should I give it to someone else? Any advice, anything really, is greatly appreciated. THANK YOU!

I work up that way a few days every week. I've stayed at the ranch and hiked/scouted a bit. It's a great place. I've seen some bear and some pig.

You can give the hunt to me, I live 30 min from there ;)

I've never actually been on the ranch, but I will say there are plenty of bears within the area... Goodluck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike I really wish I weren't working that weekend. I'd have loved to go up with you.

Don, you're busy saving the world. There will be plenty of time for us to get out there. It's looking more and more like GSPman will be looking for bear and pig with me that weekend.

SD Mike said:
So I drew a SHARE hunt! 2 day bear at Sleepy Creek Ranch weekend of December 5. Crazy how little time they give to prepare, but hey, here I am! I am wondering if anyone has any experience hunting this particular SHARE hunt or this particular area? I may have to take one or two unpaid days off work to make this hunt a go, and I don't want to head out there as ill-prepared as I am now. Is it worth it to go, or should I give it to someone else? Any advice, anything really, is greatly appreciated. THANK YOU!

Nice Buddy

Lots of sign. Unfortunately, it was all lion and coyote sign. Didn't put an animal in the cooler, but I had a great time. Beautiful country up there!

Sorry to hear it Mike. It was the same for me: very little bear sign and no live sightings. We saw some beautiful country though, with a coyote or two, a couple of bobcats, lots of deer including some nice bucks. Also saw lots of pigs, which I passed on even though I had a tag because I was focused on bear. In retrospect, maybe we should have taken a small hog, field dressed it and left the offal to draw the bears!
Live and learn.
;)

The hunt there for Oct 5&6, the guy how won it backed out. DFW called me Monday morning to see if I could go and wanted it.
Heading up there Saturday morning early. I'll create a new post.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Sorry to hear it Mike. It was the same for me: very little bear sign and no live sightings. We saw some beautiful country though, with a coyote or two, a couple of bobcats, lots of deer including some nice bucks. Also saw lots of pigs, which I passed on even though I had a tag because I was focused on bear. In retrospect, maybe we should have taken a small hog, field dressed it and left the offal to draw the bears!
Live and learn.
;)
A very happy Labor Day to you. I actually drew the late season buck hunt for this property. I’ve been e-scouting this whole weekend (which led me to this forum) and I’m guessing that working the drainages on the NE side of the property above the dry creek bed is where I’m headed. I’d love if you could point me in the general direction of where you saw deer if you wouldn’t mind. Thanks!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu