Advice needed

baboltin

Jan 1, 2014
So I am going on a dall sheep hunt in 2022 and have been planning the hunt and am planning on taking my Christensen arms summit TI 28 nosler with me. I have 200 rounds of factory ammo ready for it to be broken in, sighted in and practice and get familiar with it over the course of the next 7-8 months. During a discussion with a friend about what load and rifle I’m going to shoot he thought I was stupid to be shooting nosler e-tip 150 grain copper bullets in Alaska on sheep and that they will get sent to fast out of a 28 nosler and be unstable, and suggested I use a heavier 160-180 grain lead bullet. This now has me concerned if I made a mistake with purchasing this ammo for this rifle, for this hunt. Maybe I’m just getting in my head about it because of the hunt and it being once in a lifetime for me but what do you guys suggest and what is your advice on this rifle, round and load? Should I use a lead bullet? Is a 150 grain bullet to lite of a grain bullet for a 28 nosler? My barrel is a 1-9 twist barrel. Does anyone have this same rifle, and shoot 150 grain? Does anyone shoot 150 grain out of there 28 nosler? What’s your experience?

I use 160 Barnes copper in my m-70 anywhere I hunt. I wouldn't say its stupid to use 150's in your gun. You have the ammo and the gun needs breaking in so shoot it and see how it groups at different distance's then make a decision. Yea those bullets will be screaming coming out of the 28 but thats not necessarily a bad thing either. I'll bet the sheep won't know the difference. :)

Reactions: baboltin
I think that’s nonsense. What kind of velocity are those 150’s doing? I mean…. They either shoot well or they don’t out of your gun. To argue that a bullet will be unstable without seeing what it does with a certain gun is just talk… Nosler wouldn’t have loaded that for factory ammo if it didn’t test well. The website quotes the velocity at 3250. I shot my sheep with a 7mm 140 grain Barnes doing 3100 at 380 yards and it didn’t take a single step. Ultimately the only thing that matters though is how it shoots out of your rifle. I haven’t used or read much about the expansion of the E tip but I would imagine with that velocity you’d be good out to 600 at least.

I think that’s nonsense. What kind of velocity are those 150’s doing? I mean…. They either shoot well or they don’t out of your gun. To argue that a bullet will be unstable without seeing what it does with a certain gun is just talk… Nosler wouldn’t have loaded that for factory ammo if it didn’t test well. The website quotes the velocity at 3250. I shot my sheep with a 7mm 140 grain Barnes doing 3100 at 380 yards and it didn’t take a single step. Ultimately the only thing that matters though is how it shoots out of your rifle. I haven’t used or read much about the expansion of the E tip but I would imagine with that velocity you’d be good out to 600 at least.
That is exactly what my argument was! Thanks for the reply’s everyone. I’m not worried going to test them and if the rifle doesn’t like them then I will find something else.

its a light for cartridge bullet but eh it's not that crazy 3250 out the tube is moving pretty good but not crazy. Your twist should be fine, i could not find the min twist for that bullet but in other monolithic bullets its spun enough. You are giving up quite a bit in ballistics with it but it will have a pile of energy left over 1k flb at 800 yards will smash most things with fur :) you will still have to range and have your dope past 300 to hit especially with big vertical changes so the flat shooting is not a factor imho

devils advocate time.... with that twist you can shoot pretty much any lead bullet up to 195gr or so. I can not speak to what that gun will like to eat as far as bullet go but lets say you are not happy with how the etips fly. i would try the burger 175gr hybrids if you can reload. If you cant reload then try something heavy lead wise from what you can find ammo shortage and all. The BC jump from your 150s to one of the heavy boys is pretty big a g1 of .498 etips vs .656 for the 175gr burgers.

Reactions: baboltin

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu