Advice on tags, specifically D16

SDLIVIN

Oct 26, 2018
applying for this years hunting license and deer tags for D16.
Looking for advice on how to go about it.
Ideally would like to start with the A22, archery tag and then open rifle season D16.
But both are restricted, so in going through the process the online system would only allow me to apply for the A22, not the D16 rifle season tag.
How's everyone else going about this that are looking to extend their season with both archery and rifle options?
Thanks in advance,
-Robert

Should he instead put in for the draw with a tag he is not expecting to get, and list A22 second? Then he would get a point for next year and still get the A22. There have been D16 tags available on August 2nd the last several years but you will need to login right at 8am to buy one before they run out.

I usually put in for G13 with D16 as my 2nd choice. Every other year I get picked for G13 (and buy a D16 on August 2nd). This is a year I would normally get a G13 but haven’t decided if I want to instead build up more points.

Good stuff there Dan. Strategy, that's what I am looking for advice on. Haven't purchased the tags yet, have them loaded in my 'cart'.
Okay, so primary G13 to build points, secondary A22 (with expectation that this will come through), and then log-in or OTC D16 tag when/if they become available on Aug 2nd.
Thanks,
-Robert

Reactions: longbowhunter2
I like Dan's strategy too. My understanding is you'll have a good chance of getting G13 + D16 or A22 + D16? What about for a 3rd choice?

so this will be my second year hunting. last year i picked up an a22. whats the deal with this draw stuff?

In California we have a preference point system. Tags that are more desirable require more points. Points are only associated with your first choice. If you apply for something on your first choice and don’t get it they give you a point. If you do draw your first choice they take all of your points and the point you would have gotten for the current year. CA also reserves 10% of tags to be awarded via random draw, so technically you can draw a good tag with no points, however unlikely.

So, if you want to draw a tag that requires 3 points, you need to either apply for a point for three years or apply for a difficult to draw zone and not draw it in the random draw. After three applications you will have your three points and you will be able to draw the tag on the following year.

Here is the link for the big game book.... it’s not exciting reading but you need to read it.

Thanks Kellen, appreciate the summary / break down. This is the detail that us newer folks have a hard time grasping. Believe me, read that damn big game book front to back multiple times, About as clear as mud without some experience behind you on how this shiznit works.
With that said, took Dan's advice.
Applied for g13 primary, and A22 secondary.
Figure the G13 will pass, providing a point there. Will get the A22 (as I originally wanted) and then I can apply for the rifle season D16 when that opens up on Aug 2nd. I feel like there was a short period of time last year where you could get the D16 tag OTC. Hoping for the same this year.
and the upland, and duck, and (5) bobcats.... (at <$4 each why not), did I miss anything?
With appreciation,
-Robert

Robert,

Hope the tag strategy works out for ya.. if you land the A22 and pickup a D16 at 8am on Aug 2nd you'll have plenty of deer chasing to do from Sep-Dec. Other than the tags you already listed, I'd add in a 2019-20 federal duck stamp (when available from CWA or the post office) and I always pickup a pig tag just in case I happen to run into the unicorn of east county.

Thanks Kellen, appreciate the summary / break down. This is the detail that us newer folks have a hard time grasping. Believe me, read that damn big game book front to back multiple times, About as clear as mud without some experience behind you on how this shiznit works.
With that said, took Dan's advice.
Applied for g13 primary, and A22 secondary.
Figure the G13 will pass, providing a point there. Will get the A22 (as I originally wanted) and then I can apply for the rifle season D16 when that opens up on Aug 2nd. I feel like there was a short period of time last year where you could get the D16 tag OTC. Hoping for the same this year.
and the upland, and duck, and (5) bobcats.... (at <$4 each why not), did I miss anything?
With appreciation,
-Robert

If you draw that G13 and you’re having trouble finding a doe let me know and I’ll help you out.

Wanted to briefly ad, if you set your tag choices in the draw and later want to change them then it can be done over the phone. I learned this several years ago and really appreciate the service the DFG did for me on that call.

I play this game in 6 different states, but I use a tag service because it’s enough to drive you nuts. They all have different rules, fees and deadlines. But for CA I just buy a D16 OTC because I know I can get it and can always hunt local deer.

Tags and draws still confuse the hell outta me..I purchased my first hunting license a year ago today (4/20/18) along with my upland stamp. I then waited because of being confused of how tags worked and then just went online on June 2nd and bought the D16 tag along with an east county unicorn tag as Jason put it!...it said it was a restricted hunt zone for D16 but it just went on through and I was mailed my tags shortly after. Going to have to wait till after my trip to Idaho to put in for tags but reading this post helped me understand stand it more.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu