Air rifle pellets

Hunter527

Apr 3, 2018
Niland, CA
I have a 177 caliber Gamo air rifle, when I got it a few years ago I kind of remember it saying in the manual only to use Gamo pellets. I found some 177 caliber pellets in my garage but they are another brand. Does Gamo just want me to buy pellets from them, or should I really not use pellets from other brands?

Reactions: Crosman999
Most manufacturers recommend their own brand...Any .177 should be fine, and in fact, better in many cases.

Try different brands and types. In my Diana some pellets group great and other fly all over the place

Sorry took so long guys, yes Gamo wants you to purchase those pellets. With airguns it's the usual that some will prefer certain brands or weights. I would order some JSB brand pellets in .177 and give them a go. Generally JSB works well in just about most all airguns, the quality is much better.

I tried them last week, they worked good. They were an old box of Daisy pellets. In the box I found them in there was also a box of lead shotshells labeled for waterfowl, they might have been there for a while.
A37D47F9-DD00-4BFF-A752-DD4E4D80B3D9.jpeg

Reactions: Dawnandusk
I tried them last week, they worked good. They were an old box of Daisy pellets. In the box I found them in there was also a box of lead shotshells labeled for waterfowl, they might have been there for a while.
definitely pre-1990

For my Umarex Octane .22, I like the H&N Terminators and the Predator PolyMags. Both for the accuracy, and energy transfer/wound channel. The cheapie Crosman's aren't bad, just that these other types transfer the energy better I've found. They mushroom like crazy!
26240549_1969470836400545_7361897839076925277_o.jpg

Nice Thread, excelant advice from every one!
My only suggestion is I like hollow points, kills stuff quick.
standard pellets like on ground squirrels the get away, tough little dudes.
I use 22 cal hollow points Crossman brand because they are cheap for squirrels.
save the good stuff on rabbits.

Love the pellet rifle, I was taking a break out in the yard, planking ground squirrels, hit two but nothing to show, crawled in to their holes.
that sound during a shot that goes thump.. unable to walk again sore foot. but that didn't stop me.

I've shot millions of GS and it always amazes me how some can get down holes. I've found that many times other squirrels drag them in the holes...those little bastards are cannibals...friggin disgusting.

I've shot millions of GS and it always amazes me how some can get down holes. I've found that many times other squirrels drag them in the holes...those little bastards are cannibals...friggin disgusting.

Even with a .17 HMR, if they're not hit forward, they'll back into a hole.

.196.JPG

Hmmph.. with that .17 HMR, what rounds are you using? I've been using the Hornady NTX 15.5gr. I have amazing results with that round! Like you have to remind yourself to be sure to pick head or near front shoulder area if you want anything to be left. And for rabbits? I took an off-hand shot at at cottontail that was 60yds. I was at tail end of returning back to truck, figured be safer to try to aim a lil more into the middle since my pulse was up a bit. I am not making this up... it literally cleared out ALL of his guts from below the diaphragm downward AND separated his pelvis so that everything from the solar-plexus down was split open and violently expelled out. Poor little guy was still trying to crawl himself back to the bushes. I felt bad having to go over there and hurry up and finish him. But I couldn't believe he was still able to try to move like that, considering what my eyes saw!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu