Alaska Salmon Fishing

HunterMcBuckKiller

Oct 20, 2020
Polk County, OR
Hey Guys,
My wife works for a cruse line and I got to spend a week in Alaska 3 weeks ago, while she was "working". It was amazing!!! I had never been and can see why we all aspire to get the opportunity to hunt/fish/camp there. Seems like we took the CA weather with us as well, no rain, and all sunshine.
Nothing like sitting on the balcony and watching bald eagles and osprey battle for a fish with one of the most beautiful backgrounds you could imagine.

Headed out there again for the family "Vacation" on Friday. Planning on a salmon fishing trip in Ketchikan, Wish it was more than 1 day... but beggars cant be choosers.

Anyone been Salmon fishing in Ketchikan? I know we wont get any king salmon but hoping for some silver or red.
Wish me luck and hopefully I'll have some flicks to post in 2 weeks.

I've fished Ketch many times, but always freshwater. Do you want to fish salt or fresh? No kings and coho won't be showing up until later. Sockeye will definitely be schooling at the mouths of freshwater streams. You'll need to get there via boat or float plane. The best bet is to fish off a saltwater charter, a small skiff type, maybe 20' for so. And don't forget bottom fish---lots of them and pure white meat. I don't know how PM works on this forum, but if you can figure out how to PM me, I'll give you all the info you need.

Reactions: HunterMcBuckKiller
I've fished Ketch many times, but always freshwater. Do you want to fish salt or fresh? No kings and coho won't be showing up until later. Sockeye will definitely be schooling at the mouths of freshwater streams. You'll need to get there via boat or float plane. The best bet is to fish off a saltwater charter, a small skiff type, maybe 20' for so. And don't forget bottom fish---lots of them and pure white meat. I don't know how PM works on this forum, but if you can figure out how to PM me, I'll give you all the info you need.
Thanks for the info. I am on a small 6 man salt water charter so they are in charge of where we are headed, It is only 1 day and I had nothing to do so I told my wife she has the kids and I'm gong fishing,..
Should be a good learning experience and beautiful scenery none the less. If we aren't hitting any Salmon I am definitely trying for some halibut.

Thanks for the info. I am on a small 6 man salt water charter so they are in charge of where we are headed, It is only 1 day and I had nothing to do so I told my wife she has the kids and I'm gong fishing,..
Should be a good learning experience and beautiful scenery none the less. If we aren't hitting any Salmon I am definitely trying for some halibut.
Bring quality rain gear. Regardless of the weather forecast, you can expect rain. And another thing---you might want to bring some fishing gear, a spinning outfit that you might use for large trout or bass. 10 pound line or so. Bring some 1/2 oz flashy lures---spoons or spinners. There are actually some good fishing areas right off the road or off the docks. Pink salmon tend to school in the harbor and little coves and are really easy to catch. Be sure to post some pix.

Just talked with a friend on POW island across the strait from Ketch. Silvers [coho] are in so you might get into them. Really great fishing. They average around 10 pounds and go aerobatic when hooked. Superb eating. The charter will probably provide cleaning and freezing of any fish you catch. They then pack them in insulated boxes and you can check them in as baggage on the airliner. If you fly Alaska Air, they are pros at handling frozen fish.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu