Am I Wasting My Time?

Bruiser

Aug 30, 2020
I’m originally from Quebec where I focused on small game, that’s the kind of hunting I prefer. Snowshoe hare, cotton tails, ruffed grouse and woodcock were my prey of choice. I’m trying to find the rough equivalent here in SoCal and could use a little guidance. So far I have outfitted myself for varmint (coyote) and quail/dove, but I’m having a little trouble when it comes to rabbits. I was hoping to hunt for jackrabbits/cottontails with my 10/22, but finding ammo is a challenge. I found some CCI Copper-22 for sale on GunBroker, but read some reviews that claim it’s horribly inaccurate. I am considering buying a whole new rig in .22 WMR, but before committing to that, I have a few questions. Are there any jackrabbits within 90 minutes of Fallbrook? Are jackrabbits edible? I read that most hunters don’t harvest the meat because of some disease. Does the same hold true for cottontails? I’m not asking for specific spots or anything, I just want to know if I’m wasting my time. I’ve been lurking this forum for a while and have learned a lot. As I progress, I will definitely contribute more, but right now I’m just starting out. Thanks for reading!

If I were you I would head over to AZ. Rabbit is open year round and in the spring limits, 10 a day, are normal. Good quail once you learn the area. All I use for rabbit is 10-22 and Browning lever action .22, both scoped. Some people eat jacks but not many. ( Larry does, you'll hear that name a lot) I have never had any problem with disease with any I have got. I have not seen it but there is a hemorrhage disease in rabbits here in Ca. but does not effect the meat, even so if you see a rabbit bleeding from mouth eyes and ears you should avoid it, I think those are the symptoms. As far as I know it has not effected the rabbits in Az. as of yet. Here in so. cal hunting is very iffy at the best unless you have access to private property and No. Cal is only slightly better. Chuckar hunting can be real good in the wet years. Ridgecrest and areas east of Barstow are normally good areas. Be warned, they are hard birds to hunt unless you are part Mt. Goat.

Reactions: Bruiser
If I were you I would head over to AZ. Rabbit is open year round and in the spring limits, 10 a day, are normal. Good quail once you learn the area. All I use for rabbit is 10-22 and Browning lever action .22, both scoped. Some people eat jacks but not many. ( Larry does, you'll hear that name a lot) I have never had any problem with disease with any I have got. I have not seen it but there is a hemorrhage disease in rabbits here in Ca. but does not effect the meat, even so if you see a rabbit bleeding from mouth eyes and ears you should avoid it, I think those are the symptoms. As far as I know it has not effected the rabbits in Az. as of yet. Here in so. cal hunting is very iffy at the best unless you have access to private property and No. Cal is only slightly better. Chuckar hunting can be real good in the wet years. Ridgecrest and areas east of Barstow are normally good areas. Be warned, they are hard birds to hunt unless you are part Mt. Goat.
I haven’t considered AZ. I‘m spoiled I guess because back east, I could practically hunt in my back yard! I reckon driving long distances is just a fact of life out here. Thanks for the input, I’ll start looking into it. I’ve visited AZ quite a few times, I like it a lot, just never thought of hunting there.

I'm originally from Wis. so I know about hunting in your back yard but that was some years back.

Never ate Jack's yet but also never seen them before..but I know when I do I want to try this recipe..Sardinian Hare Stew

Oh and welcome to the site

Larry made video about cooking Jack, and coyote, and skunk, and badger and turkey buzzards, and , and and,.

head out to the high desert, look for them early morning and late afternoons, during the mid day the cotton tails are in their holes, jacks are hiding in the thick brush. ant thing is edible it depends how hungry one is. but I prefer cotton tails. sick rabbits I only seen a few over the years. look for low and semi open brush. link but common every where http://www.idph.state.il.us/public/hb/hbtulare.htm

Never ate Jack's yet but also never seen them before..but I know when I do I want to try this recipe..Sardinian Hare Stew

Oh and welcome to the site

That’s what I’m talking about! I love that show. That’s my dream, to only eat what I can kill or catch. I’m sure that recipe would work with cottontails as well. Snowshoe hares had a strong piney taste in the winter due to their diet being primarily pine bark. We would soak the pieces in milk overnight to try and overcome that, then braise them in a red wine sauce till they fell apart. Even after that, it was an acquired taste. Thanks for sharing!

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
head out to the high desert, look for them early morning and late afternoons, during the mid day the cotton tails are in their holes, jacks are hiding in the thick brush. ant thing is edible it depends how hungry one is. but I prefer cotton tails. sick rabbits I only seen a few over the years. look for low and semi open brush. link but common every where http://www.idph.state.il.us/public/hb/hbtulare.htm
Yeah, that’s the one. Sounds nasty, but from what the article says, it’s treatable and after getting it you develop an immunity. Wouldn’t go out of my way to get it, but not a deal breaker either. High dessert, I’ve heard that. I wonder if that’s BLM or State land. I’ll google it. Thanks!

I’m originally from Quebec where I focused on small game, that’s the kind of hunting I prefer. Snowshoe hare, cotton tails, ruffed grouse and woodcock were my prey of choice. I’m trying to find the rough equivalent here in SoCal and could use a little guidance. So far I have outfitted myself for varmint (coyote) and quail/dove, but I’m having a little trouble when it comes to rabbits. I was hoping to hunt for jackrabbits/cottontails with my 10/22, but finding ammo is a challenge. I found some CCI Copper-22 for sale on GunBroker, but read some reviews that claim it’s horribly inaccurate. I am considering buying a whole new rig in .22 WMR, but before committing to that, I have a few questions. Are there any jackrabbits within 90 minutes of Fallbrook? Are jackrabbits edible? I read that most hunters don’t harvest the meat because of some disease. Does the same hold true for cottontails? I’m not asking for specific spots or anything, I just want to know if I’m wasting my time. I’ve been lurking this forum for a while and have learned a lot. As I progress, I will definitely contribute more, but right now I’m just starting out. Thanks for reading!
Yes those CCI rounds suck balls. I would think about the 17HMR round, this is what i shoot for rabbit and small game. This round is very accurate, i aim for the ear on most jacks and cottontail and rarely miss, game over! also you can find the copper 17HMR if you look around and stay on top of it. Not sure about buying the 22WMR in copper but it does seem like over kill and pricy i would have to think.

I think cotton tail is very good eating. Jackrabbit on the other hand i like to cover in a bunch of GARLICSALT. All the cottontail you want down by the colorado river near alfalfa and water and cover.

Report back and score big points with pix, we like pix.

Yes those CCI rounds suck balls. I would think about the 17HMR round, this is what i shoot for rabbit and small game. This round is very accurate, i aim for the ear on most jacks and cottontail and rarely miss, game over! also you can find the copper 17HMR if you look around and stay on top of it. Not sure about buying the 22WMR in copper but it does seem like over kill and pricy i would have to think.

I think cotton tail is very good eating. Jackrabbit on the other hand i like to cover in a bunch of GARLICSALT. All the cottontail you want down by the colorado river near alfalfa and water and cover.

Report back and score big points with pix, we like pix.
Thanks for confirming that. I would prefer not to have to change platforms altogether, I love my 10/22!! It’s looking more and more like me and Arizona are gonna get better aquatinted. Oh yeah! When the time comes, there will be pix!

Thanks for confirming that. I would prefer not to have to change platforms altogether, I love my 10/22!! It’s looking more and more like me and Arizona are gonna get better aquatinted. Oh yeah! When the time comes, there will be pix!
In Az. lead is good to go except on Cibola Refuge. Only nontoxic there.

As far as eating jacks, even Steven's bud's recipe for jacks sucks. I threw mine out after eating half of it. Jack rabbits are fun to shoot but forget eating them. Nasty.

Bru,

Welcome to SCH....All the rabbits we have in SoCal are OK to eat...Hunt & eat them all the time...Your best bet to get them is in the Imperial Valley around the desert edges of farm land...While learning the IV, you'll find dove and quail spots as well...If you look around, you can find green ammo...Let your fingers do the walking (phone).

Chukar are another bird that is not that far a drive and as sporting as it gets...Starting at about Stoddard Wells outside of Victorville to the lower Sierra's you can find chukar (& quail)...Randsburg, Black Mts, and Walker Pass area are just 3 areas that can have them and are popular starting points...Steel shotshells are not hard to find.

Turkey hunting is quite popular here in San Diego County as well...Most public hunting is done on the Cleveland NF and BLM...While scouting for turkeys, it is possible to find rabbits, doves, and quail spots...It will take some time and effort, but can be done less than 90 minutes from where you live.

NWTF has monthly meeting the 4th Tuesday of each month at the Hamburger factory in Poway...Starts at 6:30 pm...I really suggest, as a new person to the area, that you attend a meeting or get involved in the organization...A lot of like minded folks that hunt locally and the IV attend.

Good luck......Steve

ps...If you need a ride let me know...There's a few of us that live in north county (Escondido).

You're from Canada, eh? I would go with a .22 air rifle for rabbits. They aren't firearms, so you can use all the lead pellets you want.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu