Ammo shipping question

WaterDawg

Nov 20, 2016
I’ve tried to get an answer from the state, the OC sheriff, and the city PD, but no love so far so I’m throwing this out to you all.

I am currently a resident of Oregon, but I travel back to OC at least once per month on business. I stay at my folks house when I’m there. And most of my hunting takes place in CA. If I buy ammo in Oregon, can I FedX it to my pop’s house in OC for my use when I’m there? And, is it still legal to transport ammo into CA in checked luggage if I fly?

Thanks for any info.

I think like guns, ammo will need to be sent to store or person with FFL. If they will ship it at all. I sent a gun to a guy in Az. Via FFL dealer, I could not ship ammo with it., not that I was going too. I think you can fly with ammo into Cal. but there is a limit on how much you can bring in. Ammo can't be in same case with gun if you are flying with one. If this is incorrect feel free to correct what I stated.

Reactions: WaterDawg
Remember..CA,s laws are open to interpretation..and are ambiguous at best...in essence...they are designed to Hurt...

Kevin,

I know when I've traveled out of state with ammo 2 years ago...I was allowed 11 lbs in the check-in luggage...I also flew back with 11 lbs...That said, the laws change so quit here, I'd just check with the airlines.

The new CA ammo laws only applies to CA residents that acquire ammunition while outside of CA. [PC 30314(a)]

Therefore...
It does not apply to CA residents that acquired ammunition in CA, leave CA with that ammunition, and return to CA with that ammunition.

SB1235, which was passed and signed by the Governor, had the following exception:
(15) A licensed hunter who purchased the ammunition outside of this state for use in a lawful hunting activity that occurred outside of this state if the person brings or imports no more than 50 rounds into this state and the ammunition is designed and intended for use in the firearm the hunter used in that hunting activity.
However, Prop 63 superseded most of SB1235, so that exception doesn't exist.

I’ve flown with ammo several times and never had a problem, but since moving I haven’t followed the most recent developments in Sacto. My preference would be to ship ammo already in my possession to my remote office (dads house) in OC. That is the question most difficult to get answered. Maybe I’ll call FedX.

the short answer is NO you can not bring ammo back from out of state....

google bring ammo back to california lots to read

Definitely don't do it crossing the fruit fly inspection..those guys carry a big swatter!!!

I believe out of state residents can bring in as much ammo as they like; however, they cannot buy ammo in CA. So, if you were driving in this would be no problem. if you are flying in, you will need to check with your airline.

My guess is that all ammo shipments have to go through an FFL.

I believe out of state residents can bring in as much ammo as they like; however, they cannot buy ammo in CA. So, if you were driving in this would be no problem. if you are flying in, you will need to check with your airline.

My guess is that all ammo shipments have to go through an FFL.
You’re saying non residents cannot buy ammo in CA at all?

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu