Ammo shortage

GUNDOGLOVER49

Aug 14, 2020
According to S&W CEO Mark Smith, the ammo shortage is going to go on for a while. He said the shortage is due to the pandemic, the George Floyd death, and the new gun owners. All of these go hand in hand. The Floyd death had more people nervous , so for their protection they purchased fire arms and that put a crunch on ammo supplies. then the pandemic saw a cut back in ammo production for several reasons, all of which most of you are aware of. I would say this is a good reason to reload your own ammo but, you would be faced with the same issue, no reloading components, In a big part because what supplies there are are going to ammo manufacturing plants. Good thing I don't have to worry about any of this because I don't own fire arms.

I went to our local Big 5 about an hour ago and they had 5.56 fmj ammo for 24.99 a box of 20 a good amount available. A few boxes of shells but no dove load.

Although the prices are crazy this is good. This is step one to getting back to normal. Ammo will start filling the shelves again. People will stop panic hoarding when they see plenty on the shelves. Then it will sit on shelves till prices come back to reality.

Although the prices are crazy this is good. This is step one to getting back to normal. Ammo will start filling the shelves again. People will stop panic hoarding when they see plenty on the shelves. Then it will sit on shelves till prices come back to reality.

Dang, I hope you're right, but I don't see it happening, and especially for guns, ammo, and gun related items (anti's are loving this).........:mad:

So, Turner's is selling dove loads for $19.99 a box...And let's say they sit there or they have a sale and cut the price by 50%...That is still $10.00 a box....Frigging dove loads, $10.00 a box!....Get used to the new normal

Can’t think of anything that’s cheaper today than it was a year ago. Not one thing.

I see no way prices come down at all in the next year. Hell, I’m not sure we ever see prices like they were again.

Lots of factors go into it but we sure had a lot going against ammo supplies and pricing.

I don't think the prices will come crashing down either. But I also dont see people spending $1 a round for .223 or $0.80 for 9mm after the panic is gone. When sales slow I think they will come back closer to what they were. I don't think we will ever see .223 for $0.30 a round ever again but I don't think they will be $1 forever either

Reactions: MJB and ilovesprig
What you all consider ammo?? Big 5..Walmart?? Oh boy..

If you think dove loads are expensive, wait until waterfowl loads (steel) hit the shelves. My steel worker buddy says steel is over 300 % higher this year!

Reactions: ilovesprig
In the past, I could not care less about the price or availability of ammo. I reloaded everything that can be reloaded. Today, I can't get powder, primers, most shotgun hulls, most centerfire brass and lead-free bullets, and steel/bismuth shot in popular sizes is tough to get. Cabela's in Kalispell, MT, is out of almost every type of ammo. Walmart in CO is not selling ammo anymore. Really disheartening. I can't believe that the ammo shortage is due entirely to an increase in demand. I smell a rat.

In the past, I could not care less about the price or availability of ammo. I reloaded everything that can be reloaded. Today, I can't get powder, primers, most shotgun hulls, most centerfire brass and lead-free bullets, and steel/bismuth shot in popular sizes is tough to get. Cabela's in Kalispell, MT, is out of almost every type of ammo. Walmart in CO is not selling ammo anymore. Really disheartening. I can't believe that the ammo shortage is due entirely to an increase in demand. I smell a rat.
I don’t think it is just demand. I also don’t think it’s some conspiracy either.

Supply chain for a lot of things is a mess and will be for some time. This just happens to be a lot of issues rolled up into one that we all care about a LOT, haha.

IMO the ammo might become available soon but you’ll ever see the prices back down to where they were, maybe components , I hope

This thread is becoming a conspiracy theory big time and should not be that . You all need to settle down and know it is a hoarding issue coupled with an adminstration change.Chill... If you were worried you should have bought ammo may years ago and not waited for folks to panic..
Don’t try and bring common sense to the internet!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu