"And STAY DOWN!!" - Larry and TrapLine - Puttin' a Serious Hurt on a Bitch!

TheGDog

Nov 28, 2018
XX
8am on the D-O-T Found our heroes Larry and TrapLine clinging to some of the only shade available this AM as the temperature was making it's way towards the forecast 90 F for the Salton Sea.

This was essentially the first set of the day. I had arrived a bit earlier than TrapLine and the "Huntstang" and tried to do a quick set before he'd arrived, but didn't really have enough time to do a full 30min set before he had shown up. So then it was about guiding him in to my location so we could embark on the days journey together.

I brought my .223 bolt gun, TrapLine had called "shotgun", literally. :)

Put the Mojo Critter 2 just a little in front of the bush I hid the Johnny Stewart Grim Speaker 2 caller in.

Baby CottonTail for maybe 3 repititions, (all pauses were between 2:00-3:00 in-between each call.)
Rodent Distress
Coyote Locator (A group howl type of recording)
...then...
Coyote Pup Distress

And she'd come out right under our position up on this rise with a ledge that provided shade. There was sort of a rock below us, with a larger Greasewood bush in front of that. She stopped just enough in front of that Greasewood that it offered me a shot with the .223 with LeHigh Controlled Chaos rounds from above entering-in right at about the shoulder. That drops her down initially, but after a few tenths of a second she rolls over and gets back up and proceeds to do a three-legged run holding up her right forelimb DIRECTLY RIGHT BACK IN MY DIRECTION towards the shade of this like, I'll say shale-stone finger ridge we're on.

Seeing that, I quickly rack another round, thinking to myself, "Oh no you don't! I know how you guys can run! You're not gettin' away this time!"... and right as I'm starting to draw a second bead with my crosshairs, "BOOM!...." TrapLine hammered the snot out of her lumbar area and she goes ass-over-end, and that was all she wrote!

WP_20190525_001.jpgWP_20190525_002.jpgWP_20190525_005.jpg

Yeah, I'm gonna try some for me, but I figure I'll mostly cook it up for my dogs. I think of it as payback for all the little dogs like them that coyotes have taken :)

Reactions: longbowhunter2
8am on the D-O-T Found our heroes Larry and TrapLine clinging to some of the only shade available this AM as the temperature was making it's way towards the forecast 90 F for the Salton Sea.

This was essentially the first set of the day. I had arrived a bit earlier than TrapLine and the "Huntstang" and tried to do a quick set before he'd arrived, but didn't really have enough time to do a full 30min set before he had shown up. So then it was about guiding him in to my location so we could embark on the days journey together.

I brought my .223 bolt gun, TrapLine had called "shotgun", literally. :)

Put the Mojo Critter 2 just a little in front of the bush I hid the Johnny Stewart Grim Speaker 2 caller in.

Baby CottonTail for maybe 3 repititions, (all pauses were between 2:00-3:00 in-between each call.)
Rodent Distress
Coyote Locator (A group howl type of recording)
...then...
Coyote Pup Distress

And she'd come out right under our position up on this rise with a ledge that provided shade. There was sort of a rock below us, with a larger Greasewood bush in front of that. She stopped just enough in front of that Greasewood that it offered me a shot with the .223 with LeHigh Controlled Chaos rounds from above entering-in right at about the shoulder. That drops her down initially, but after a few tenths of a second she rolls over and gets back up and proceeds to do a three-legged run holding up her right forelimb DIRECTLY RIGHT BACK IN MY DIRECTION towards the shade of this like, I'll say shale-stone finger ridge we're on.

Seeing that, I quickly rack another round, thinking to myself, "Oh no you don't! I know how you guys can run! You're not gettin' away this time!"... and right as I'm starting to draw a second bead with my crosshairs, "BOOM!...." TrapLine hammered the snot out of her lumbar area and she goes ass-over-end, and that was all she wrote!

Way to go guys;)

That’s neat that you both got in on the action. Had you predetermined that if a dog came all the way in Trap would use the shotgun, and if it stayed far out G would use the rifle? Or did you just play it by ear?

I gotta tell ya those dogs down there stink BAD. That’s cool you both got apiece of her.

Whoo Child YES! Yes they DO smell somethin' Strong!

Was contemplating what would be a method of dealing with that part of the problem. Figure first I'd let the meat soak a little in water remove as much of the blood as possible first. I'd noticed with the venison that the more and more you get the blood out of the meat, the less and less it has that bit of "gamey" sensation to its taste.

But yeah, for this dog... I was also thinking something else might be needed like maybe... a marinade with like possibly Rice Vinegar and Red Onion or some-such similar stronger flavored thing to counteract that "aroma". However, from when I remember from the Venison the vicera is where the majority of that bad smell comes from, so hopefully if I take my time and do a real good job trimming off the vicera and silver-skin it should help considerably.

And boy I sure remember how much the dogs liked all those stinky silver-skin trimming pieces off the deer! So I'm assuming it'll be the same with this. That they'll love the stinkyness of it.

That’s neat that you both got in on the action. Had you predetermined that if a dog came all the way in Trap would use the shotgun, and if it stayed far out G would use the rifle? Or did you just play it by ear?

The idea was that he'd get 'em when they pop out close by... but we were sorta playing it by ear I guess technically because there weren't any hard and fast rules we discussed about it other than that. And the way it played out.. since she stopped in front of that Greasewood like that, TrapLine wouldn't have had a shot when she stopped. The bush was between them. I had *enough* of her shoulders and back exposed that I could attempt the shot. And of course, I wanted to hurry up and take advantage of the fact that she stopped like that.

I'm pretty certain my bullet went thru a tiny bit of the thinned-out amount of leafy-ness of this branch that obscured her somewhat. But I knew my aimpoint wasn't upon any dense portion of the branches twisty beam, so I sent it.

Reactions: WaterDawg
Do it! No pictures no proof.

Congrats on the fawn killer.

Just for you, we'll try to document the processing with lil video clips here and there.

I figure I'd do up one rump-roast for me, then do all the rest for the dogs.

I'm actually looking forward to the challeng of trying to work some magic and make it edible. Like @Lungpopper was saying, boy she sure does turn a nose-hair right now.

PS... as long as I keep her in the cooler, I should be able to wait until Monday before I begin to process her right? I already removed the entrails out in the field. (No takers out there yet on the gut-pile, Go figure!). I forget... how long do you have before hair slippage begins and ya need to salt?

Reactions: TRICER
I gotta tell ya those dogs down there stink BAD. That’s cool you both got apiece of her.

The trippy part is I was looking at her in my scope getting another bead on her when TrapLine shot, so I saw the whole thing of her initially taking that second hit thru my scope on like 3x!

The Hmong eat dogs daily..how bad could it be? As yes..please document the occasion...in 40 plus years of killing
.i can honestley say ive never had the desire to eat a coyote..your my boy dog..get some!!

Got a go with hatch on this one and I have thirty years on him. If they were that good McDonald's would be serving them, well, now that I mentioned it.

Reactions: HATCHET1
About the only thing I ever had to decline trying to eat... if I remember right... were... I believe the kidneys of pig. I was curious and bought them at the Asian Market nearby my home at the time. And I had to tapout on proceeding because as they were cooking... at least these ones that I was going to try... they emitted a smell which was like a combination of urine... and the smell old people begin to leave all over the place when their kidneys are failing and their sweat begins to contain Ammonia crystals in it when it dries.

Well...that... and *hot* spicy. Not that my *mouth* doesn't like hot spicy... but let's just say there are a great many things I would not be able to ingest if Tagamet was never invented, Alcohol also being one of the things I would have to give up if Acid-Blockers did not exist. I am certain my acid reflux could remove the rust off a completely rusted-through chrome trailer hitch. And... once triggered.. without Acid-Blockers I would literally have to continue to ingest ginormous quantities of water to dilute it, and also sometimes if available lactose-free ice cream since it's cold, for me, does much to help ease the esophageal burning associated with this.

I've been keenly interested in following the progress of a friend we have. He apparently had the reflux even worse then me.. and he did that procedure where they surgically go in and place an elastic band fitted with Neodymium magnets all around the Esophageal sphincter opening at the top of the stomach. The band with the (just barely strong enough) magnets comes in with the force of attraction after the food has been pushed in by the esophagus and helps the body to keep that valve closed so that all that acid can't keep shooting back up.

He thinned out a bit afterward, but he can not say enough good things about the results of the procedure! The only negative is that he can no longer do an MRI because of having those magnets in there now. That... and he has to have this special card I think it is, when going thru the airport to show them he sets off the scanner because of the medical procedure done.

P.S. I believe I remember reading it was Lewis & Clark that expressed a fondness for coyote meat, and an appreciation for it's availability thru out their journey.

yea that yote was coming in hot.

I like that spot, some great views. Retrieved my cameras that have been simmering since early April while we were out there, going to be a hot summer for sure. Probably going to do evening the next time, like a Friday and try to get the grey light.

Anyone wants to check it DM me, good 5 hour evening/morning hunt, YMMV.

@Larry After you skin it you can salt it and it will stay preserved for a really long time, fold it up fur out and keep it lifted up so it does not sit in the water the salt is going to pull out of it. You can freeze the entire animal for like 6 weeks and it should not slip. Just takes up a lot of freezer space and thaw time 1-2 days when you are ready to work it. Skinned but not fleshed should hold up 6 months in the freezer without slipping, just watch for freezer burn.

IMG_1276.png

What do you guys think would be a good caliber to cover lanes like this, for a deer at the far end? I was thinking 6.5, what do you think? over/under

IMG_1280.png

WGI_3194.png

Reactions: longbowhunter2
I just need to know if I can hold-off on taking off the hide until Monday without ill-effects to the fur? 'Cause today we have a friends Event to go to.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu