Another day in D14

Baldkrash

Aug 4, 2013
IMG_0698.JPG Went to a completely different spot than last time. Found a nice high spot with tons of deer sign. I took everyone's advice and just sat still and glassed. About 30 minutes into it 3 does come walking up one of the game trails I was glassing. I was down wind and they had no idea I was there. After they went around a bend I tried to stalk them. They busted me, when I came around the bend they were staring right at me. Then out of no where a 4th doe showed. I tried following them for a while hoping a buck would be hanging around but then it got dark. I was excited to do all the things I have learned on this forum and actually see deer. Hopefully where there are does there will be bucks so I will keep at it.
I could only get two in the picture, it was hard taking a pic with my phone through my binoculars.

View attachment 28649 Went to a completely different spot than last time. Found a nice high spot with tons of deer sign. I took everyone's advice and just sat still and glassed. About 30 minutes into it 3 does come walking up one of the game trails I was glassing. I was down wind and they had no idea I was there. After they went around a bend I tried to stalk them. They busted me, when I came around the bend they were staring right at me. Then out of no where a 4th doe showed. I tried following them for a while hoping a buck would be hanging around but then it got dark. I was excited to do all the things I have learned on this forum and actually see deer. Hopefully where there are does there will be bucks so I will keep at it.
I could only get two in the picture, it was hard taking a pic with my phone through my binoculars.

Good job stay on them

I went yesterday in d14. I saw 3 deer. All 3 were bucks. The only one I could have shot was a spike. I spotted him bedded down around 10:30. Once I determined he was a spike I kept hiking. I wanted to check out this north facing hill. I figured Bucks would be bedded down on that side of the hill in the shade. I was right I saw two great bucks but both of them were running away from me. I kicked them up out of their beds. I was walking pretty slow and quietly but not quiet enough. Next time I will be doing still hunting and taking 30 second breaks in between steps and observing and listening. If I had been doing that I would probably have been able to kill one of those bucks. It was a really good learning hunt for me and I can't wait to get out again!

Reactions: longbowhunter2
I went yesterday in d14. I saw 3 deer. All 3 were bucks. The only one I could have shot was a spike. I spotted him bedded down around 10:30. Once I determined he was a spike I kept hiking. I wanted to check out this north facing hill. I figured Bucks would be bedded down on that side of the hill in the shade. I was right I saw two great bucks but both of them were running away from me. I kicked them up out of their beds. I was walking pretty slow and quietly but not quiet enough. Next time I will be doing still hunting and taking 30 second breaks in between steps and observing and listening. If I had been doing that I would probably have been able to kill one of those bucks. It was a really good learning hunt for me and I can't wait to get out again!

Not bad for one day. Take your time. D-14 is holding a lot of Deer this year. you'll get'em next time

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu