Any ATV fans in here?

Wildgame

Feb 11, 2019
Last weekend I went to check out a new area. The trail beat the crap out of my truck. I forgot to set up the "Off-road" layer on ONx that usually will give you a hint if the road is mostly for ATVs, UTVs and jeeps.

In essence, the trail was narrow and there was no way to turn around or back up. So I was stuck going uphill listening to the delicious sound of branches scratching the panels of my truck.
It looks like I will be able to buff most of the scratches out but I will not go into a narrow trail like that again. Not until my truck is much older.

I will consider however buying a quad, not the sports kind but the hybrids. As of matter of fact in this one area, I could carry my light overnight gear and stay there for a couple of days. Of course, then I would need a trailer and park the truck and the trailer at the entrance which I don't know if it is safe. I do however leave a trail camera where I leave my truck on a tree to catch pics of any deuche who wants to take my stuff.

Does anyone use a quad for overnight hunts? what are the likes and dislikes? I am not thinking about using it for one specific zone but rather for zones that allow it and where I can get away from most.

I was told if I get stranded things could get complicated depending on the area. Apparently, it is not uncommon that ATVs can fail to start. I also know they are loud but the idea is just to get deep into areas where I could park the quad and hike even deeper.

What do you hink?

Last edited:
Its a great idea. I have slowly gone from race quads (I used to have A Yamaha banshee), eventually with a few stops between to a full-on hunting quad (Polaris sportsman) as I ride less and less for play and really just hunt. You could get by with either but having 4x4 is really nice and some of the newer hunting quads have a lot of suspension + power so you can "play" quite a bit with them. The problem you'll run into with sport quads is traction (2wd) and storage.

The other option is an e-bike. They make some that tow trailers now as well.

Its a great idea. I have slowly gone from race quads (I used to have A Yamaha banshee), eventually with a few stops between to a full-on hunting quad (Polaris sportsman) as I ride less and less for play and really just hunt. You could get by with either but having 4x4 is really nice and some of the newer hunting quads have a lot of suspension + power so you can "play" quite a bit with them. The problem you'll run into with sport quads is traction (2wd) and storage.

The other option is an e-bike. They make some that tow trailers now as well.
The quad would have to be 4x4 for sure. An e-bike will not make it up in steeper hills. On top of that, any car can pick up the e-bike and leave you stranded, not so much the Quad.
something like this but a lower price point: https://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/snw/d/rialto-2020-yamaha-kodiak-450-4x4/7487979526.html

The quad would have to be 4x4 for sure. An e-bike will not make it up in steeper hills. On top of that, any car can pick up the e-bike and leave you stranded, not so much the Quad.
something like this but a lower price point: https://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/snw/d/rialto-2020-yamaha-kodiak-450-4x4/7487979526.html
Got it. That one would work great. The Honda and Yamaha quads are dead reliable but ride like bricks. The Sportsman is the best riding but probably the least reliable. Pick your poison.

Don't be afraid to head to AZ to find one. I had to go there for my last one (Sportsman Touring). Wayyyyyy better selection in AZ.

This model may suit your needs nicely. https://tucson.craigslist.org/snw/d/tucson-polaris-sportsman-800-x2/7481737256.html

Got it. That one would work great. The Honda and Yamaha quads are dead reliable but ride like bricks. The Sportsman is the best riding but probably the least reliable. Pick your poison.

Don't be afraid to head to AZ to find one. I had to go there for my last one (Sportsman Touring). Wayyyyyy better selection in AZ.

This model may suit your needs nicely. https://tucson.craigslist.org/snw/d/tucson-polaris-sportsman-800-x2/7481737256.html
That is a beast. It is a 2-seater a little long for the bed of the truck. But yes that is the idea.

Reactions: 180ls1
We have a 2006 SUZUKI king quad that we bought new in 2006. It has been bullet proof never and I mean never have we had a problem of any kind. It has about 6000 miles give or take and we have only installed one new belt. I do the oil and filter myself simple to do. we have gone through some tires the back tires go quicker than the front. I would stick with the YAMAHA HONDA or SUZUKI
The KAWASAKI are fine too. People like the CANAMS and POLARIS but I will stick with the Japanese stuff.

4X4 is great, but I have a buddy with a two wheel drive Honda and I put him to the test all season long and he never skips a beat. stays with the 4X no prob. in all kind of terrain.

We have a 2006 SUZUKI king quad that we bought new in 2006. It has been bullet proof never and I mean never have we had a problem of any kind. It has about 6000 miles give or take and we have only installed one new belt. I do the oil and filter myself simple to do. we have gone through some tires the back tires go quicker than the front. I would stick with the YAMAHA HONDA or SUZUKI
The KAWASAKI are fine too. People like the CANAMS and POLARIS but I will stick with the Japanese stuff.

4X4 is great, but I have a buddy with a two wheel drive Honda and I put him to the test all season long and he never skips a beat. stays with the 4X no prob. in all kind of terrain.
Where I OTC hunt in AZ there is a snowbird who camps nearby. Last I checked his Honda UTV had somewhere around 25K miles with nothing but normal wear parts replaced. Unbelievable.

I have a Polaris Ace 900 that I have thought about using to get way out to a few spots I used to go with my Jeep (when I had one) that are too gnarly for my truck.. problem was that everywhere I wanted to go, OHVs were restricted.

Its a workhorse though and would definitely be perfect for it, one of the reasons we got it was the small footprint it takes up. Never had an issue reliability wise, I think anything fuel injected will have no problems as long as you keep up the maintenance and keep the battery fresh.

I wouldn't mind an ebike. Definitely more suitable for the areas I hunt.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu