Any I-395 Sierra cabin rental recommendations

DanSanDiego

Venison for Thanksgiving 2016
Sep 18, 2014
I'm starting to think about Summer vacations now that the year-end holidays are over. This Summer I plan to go up the 395 toward Sequoia and Kings Canyon. When vacationing with my 2 kids+wife we like to rent a cabin (rather than tent camping). Does anyone have recommendations on a rental cabin or lodge with a Sierra Mountains feel to it?

Thanks.
Dan

Hwy 395 is on the eastern side of the Sierra's.....Kings Canyon & Sequoia are on the western side.....I personally like the Eastern Sierra's better.....Bishop Creek Lodge used to be very nice.....I've also stayed in cabins near Tom's Place (Lake Crowley).

.http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwj2xPCX9K_KAhUO6mMKHbyeAScQFghFMAM&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bishopcreekresort.com%2F&usg=AFQjCNHz5BaZdo64zJMTOP5cxJ_-pC0BwQ

I would recommend staying in Mammoth Lakes.. Your fishing and camping opportunities are endless, plus it's a little cooler up there that time of year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can't comment on cabins on the Eastern Side, but have traveled the Western side of Kings Canyon and Sequoia. Montecito Sequoia Lodge has some nice cabins set back in the woods a little ways, that are pretty reasonable and very nice. Little pond for fishing and a great hiking trail that leads up Big Baldy as well. You can also catch some nice sized trout fishing the stream the feeds into the back end of Hume Lake.

Fowl Play said:
Can't comment on cabins on the Eastern Side, but have traveled the Western side of Kings Canyon and Sequoia. Montecito Sequoia Lodge has some nice cabins set back in the woods a little ways, that are pretty reasonable and very nice. Little pond for fishing and a great hiking trail that leads up Big Baldy as well. You can also catch some nice sized trout fishing the stream the feeds into the back end of Hume Lake.
+1. My family and I spent a few summer vacations at Montecito Sequoia Lodge when the kids were growing up. Lots of activities for kids of different ages in case you and your wife want to hike, fish or have some free time for exploring and think the kids might get bored. Pricey but the food is good and staff are outstanding. It's a safe bet.

Lake George in Mammoth is a great spot for a few nights. Really nice cabins on a very scenic lake complete with local bear encounters. Here is a few pics from the cabin. I hear June lake has some cool cabins also.

Attachments

• IMG_0419.JPG
    IMG_0419.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 59
  • IMG_0411-3.jpg
    IMG_0411-3.jpg
    515.4 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_0413-2.jpg
    IMG_0413-2.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 142
Thank you! These are all great suggestions. I'm now excitedly researching the future Summer vacation.

Another one for the montecito lodge. If ur looking for that. It's a big family camp. Great food, family style eating. It's a very social place.accommodations vary. They have newer cabins. All the food and the tons of activities are included. So I think the price is pretty fair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All of the options above are great options. One that I didn't see was the June Lake Cabins which I have heard are nice but a lot of people. Another place that I know of is Tioga Lodge. It is up highway 120 (Tioga Pass) and the cabins are almost to the entrance of Yosemite, about 1 1/2 miles from the entrance. There is a creek that runs near the cabins and 2 lakes within 1/2 mile from the cabins. Last year one was stocked but the other wasn't because they had to drain it for repairs in the dam. It should be ready to stock trout this summer. It's great up there. I go up there every year. The lakes are called Tioga lake and Ellery Lake. Also saddlebag lake is close to the cabins as well.

To follow up on my post. Thank you very much for all of the input. I am grateful for knowing you all.
I ended up booking a spot at Lodgepole Campground for a week in early August. My wife isn't into tent camping but I bought a 14'x14' tent with 8' ceilings. So I am hopeful that our whole family (including dog)enjoy this time in Sequoia / Kings Canyon in the height of summer. Many of the other recommendations are now in my list for next Summer.

Fall hunting season may be a ways off but we have summer fun coming up followed by deer/waterfowl/dove. Every season of the year brings new adventure.

We camp at Lodgepole almost every year. You won't be disappointed. Lots of little wild trout in the river if you go up past the first little waterfall just above the campground.

image.jpeg image.jpeg Just to put an end post on this thread: I greatly appreciate the recommendation of Sequoia / Kings Canyon. Just returned from a week there (no internet so haven't checked in to SCH in a while). It is a great place to experience some unique landscapes, amazing trees, and my favorite part was the river.

Kings canyon is a blast. Some of those fallen trees over the river are a lot of fun. Glad you had a good time. Did you catch any trout?

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu