Anybody hunt Mt Laguna this year.

Todd1817

Dec 28, 2015
Looking forward to my first hunting trip. Has anybody else hunted Mt Laguna and willing to pass on some tips for a first timer at Mt Laguna.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

The LMRA, which covers much of Laguna, is archery only, so make sure you know its boundaries. There will be lots of hunters, so look out for others' tree stands so you don't bust their setup. Laguna is also popular with mtn bikers and hikers and though they usually stick to main roads/trails don't be surprised if they come crashing through your area. Good deer come out of Laguna but the successful hunters (me not included) do their homework well in advance.

can't wait for the season to start, low number of hunters and lots of game is my kind of hunting!! New terrain to conquer ;)

I am looking at two other areas one is Palo Verde ecological reserve and the other is Cuyamaca Rancho state park.

Yeah i have been trying to find areas to hunt that are local. I live in riverside county and just want to bow hunt so good local spots

As someone who went down there I will tell you 4 Things:

1) If you aren't properly prepared you're going to be miserable (i.e. clothes , tent, knowing where to go)
2) The Laguna mountain recreation area is hard to hunt because of the people hiking and mountain biking.
3) The Cleveland National Forest is just off the back of the recreation area. There is a little road that will take you back to it. Drive as far in as you feel necessary then go in a couple miles. Your chances get exponentially better the farther back you go.
4) I spend a combined week down there and saw a doe. (thats not including the time i spend scouting.

Reactions: Goyaałé
I'm new to the area, but hunted some of last years archery deer season out there. Never saw a deer :) been out and about more, and finding some better spots everytime I go out. Also thanks to a lot of advice from people on this site.

the problem with Laguna is just the shear number of hunters. it is the heaviest bow hunted area in Socal. just remember that there is no areas where you will not find someone hunting. Beware of all the tree stands and anyone who maybe in one. try to give them space (hard to do since there are so many) the best hunting is in the steep areas but your going to half kill your self getting a deer out..

My recommendation is to stay out of the lagunas, its crowed with not only lots of hunters but other pep, cyclers and hikers. Guaranteed to bring lots of flustration and little enjoyment. :mad:

So I am also new to the area and have been scouting the Lagunas. From what I've read its mostly stand or blind hunting? I am very familiar with this coming from the midwest and hunting whitetail. But with the shear number of hunters does this also make spot and stalk hunting near impossible? How effective is this with Southern Mule deer? Anyone on here actually have a confirmed kill in this area, know anyone, or have some pics?

Not the Laguna's, but a buck taken on public land last year.....Spot & stalk with rifle.

Attachments

• 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    976.7 KB · Views: 150
if your after a doe you should be able to get one even with all the people up there. Bucks are few and far between although there are a few. But as I and many others have said lots and lots of people up there both hunters and non hunters.. Just the nature of the area and it's location being so close to S.D.

I might add, I see TONS of people out there just hiking and a crap ton of people on bikes. Everywhere! I Put a trail cam in a "good looking spot". Was there for a month and only pics on it were of me leaving and then again coming to check on it.. Tough area for sure. I have however been doing really good at finding everyone's tree stands. I've found 6 so far in my scouting trips out there. I may pass and look for a diff area in the CNF for this season. I love to hike and getting away from people, in the Laguna area seems nearly impossible. Good luck to everyone this year!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu