Anybody using an inReach

I've been using an inReach Mini for around a year, I got the cheapest annual plan ($12/mo I think) since I think the more expensive plans give options like live tracking that I don't need. Cheapest plan comes with unlimited preset messages (you get 3 different messages to preset), so really the 10 texts/mo cap is only for custom text messages. The preset messages can include your GPS location too. Once I got familiar with the device, I can send out a preset message in 5 seconds and move on.

Texting from the device is pretty frustrating, but you can sync it to a smartphone with the Earthmate app and use your phone if you do need to write out text messages. I also like getting an hourly weather forecast on it.

The only places I've had trouble getting a signal are in canyons where your view of the sky is narrow, but even then the signal comes through eventually.

I really like the purchase, I wouldn't go in the backcountry alone without it.

I just researched the Mini and it seems like a great deal. If you are already using your phone as a GPS it seems to be a good solution.

If I had to choose I think I would go with the Recreation plan with the Freedom billing option. I don't need the service all year at this stage in my life. $34 for piece of mind during a backcountry elk hunt seems well worth it. My wife and kids would appreciate it.

I have an older version not sold any more - before the mini. If I was buying now, I would get the mini. I use my cell phone for mapping and gps now. I also use the month to month plan because I turn the service off for several months of the year.

I don't use the tracking feature either. Just turn it on to check for messages from the family and send "all is ok" messages. I like that your gps coordinates are also sent with each outgoing message.

I never go hunting without it.

I broke my leg scouting before season once. I was alone and spent another night on the mountain before S&R found me. This was before SPOT or inreach. You should consider getting the S&R insurance. I wasn't charged for the bill, but I hear it can be expensive.

Last edited:
I have an older version not sold any more - before the mini. If I was buying now, I would get the mini. I use my cell phone for mapping and gps now. I also use the month to month plan because I turn the service off for several months of the year.

I don't use the tracking feature either. Just turn it on to check for messages from the family and send "all is ok" messages. I like that your gps coordinates are also sent with each outgoing message.

I never go hunting without it.

I broke my leg scouting before season once. I was alone and spent another night on the mountain before S&R found me. This was before SPOT or inreach. You should consider getting the S&R insurance. I wasn't charged for the bill, but I hear it can be expensive.
Amen. Most new hunters always worry about lions but injury is by far our greatest threat. Snapping an ankle or leg 8 miles from the truck with no cell service would be a bad deal.

Reactions: Lungpopper
InReach Mini - basic most plan. Works fine for me, you can do unlimited "pre-canned" messsages you can setup on their site. Such as "So Far So Good" Or "Ok, Shutting Down for the Nite." and maybe "Hiking out now." You can also have it ping your setup email listeners with URL links on the email is sends them constructed so they click on it and it takes them into Google Maps plopping a pin-point onto where it was the last time it took another read on your devices location. Also the device can show in which direction you have the device pointed relative to what you're looking at on the map right now shown on the device. Helps with letting you know you're going in the right direction when it's in black of night sometimes when you're returning and have to find the right place to do the water-crossing at. Since the recent rains have raised the water levels a lil bit recently in this one rocky crossing.

You can also communicate with a buddy that has an inreach and he'll automatically have your coordinates.

This is really why I’m looking at it. Planning a hunt that we won’t have any phone service. In the past for a hunt like this I have rented Sat phones in case of emergencies.
Seams like this would do more for what we would need.
I’m thinking during the hunt we could be 5-10 miles from each other in VERY VERY remote wilderness with thousands of feet up and down.
This would be the only way that we could communicate with each other in case of emergency or hopefully an animal down. Being able to pinpoint somebodies location would be a Hugh benefit.

This is really why I’m looking at it. Planning a hunt that we won’t have any phone service. In the past for a hunt like this I have rented Sat phones in case of emergencies.
I’m thinking during the hunt we could be 5-10 miles from each other in VERY VERY remote wilderness with thousands of feet up and down.
This would be the only way that we could communicate with each other in case of emergency or hopefully an animal down. Being able to pinpoint somebodies location would be a Hugh benefit.
Yes, you can do this... but you'd need to pair it with your cellphone so you can type in with that, and have one of the more feature-rich service plans that let's you send these typed-in TXT's (of course always along with Coords and URL link)

Reactions: sherpa
You can count on me and @Kellendv sending some animal down messages. Probably a good idea to get one.

I have an InReach and it's great. I've only used it a couple of times so far but the wife likes the tracking when I'm out in the boonies and the messaging works great. I've got the cheapest plan because I don't message that much and it's mainly for emergencies, as has already been mentioned by others. Wouldn't go off the beaten path without it.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu