Anyone ever hunt Coal Canyon Eco Preserve off the 91?

KingSlug

Jul 27, 2015
Anyone ever hunt Coal Canyon Eco Preserve off the 91? Its the closest hunting area to me, yeah I know I have to have a key to Skyline Dr in Corona and drive up to Sierra Pk and walk down. Well I have the key. I have read good and bad things but no real confirmations. Since my schedule is so hectic with work and family I need something close to home. I have scouted other areas in the CNF, but besides San Mateo and Coto De Caza haven't seen anything really hunt-able. Just looking for quail and bunnies?

Has anyone ever been to Coal Canyon? Or want to try?

hey buddy, if its the same place ( i bet it is) i hunted that whole area for yotes with a guy from here then walked into the upland area and did see a whole bunch of quail. He had a key and a truck. I had my 07 camry because i had to go to work after. it was dry that day and the road was ok for the camry but steep. with all the rain make sure you take a 4x4. or atleast a very capable 2x.

If you have that key you might want to call the forest office. Cause they got rid of those for the public. If your not a contractor, forest , or fish and game you can't drive it. Even with a key. At least that's my understanding from the forest ranger. I have one also but I don't go up there at all.

the bottom off of 91 freeway is not public land its state park... so do your home work before going up there. They do not issue warnings!

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Aeon said:
the bottom off of 91 freeway is not public land its state park... so do your home work before going up there. They do not issue warnings!

X2. People were talking about it previously on Jesses hunt page. You can't enter off the 91 due to firearm restrictions in the state parks. You'd have to loop around from the south. The information being passed was that there were yotes, quail, and a MASSIVE mountain lion. Just my $0.02.

turkeyman 85 said:
If you have that key you might want to call the forest office. Cause they got rid of those for the public. If your not a contractor, forest , or fish and game you can't drive it. Even with a key. At least that's my understanding from the forest ranger. I have one also but I don't go up there at all.

I have several keys to closed areas as part of my job, I asked the rangers the last time I went up to Santiago Pk, they said it shouldnt be an issue. I was at Sierra Pk a month ago, and asked then, they recommended not driving past the Sierra Pk gate.

I have thought about mtn biking in from the Chino State Park side, with the shotgun in a locked case then locking up the bike once I get to Coal Canyon. I am pretty sure it would be frown upon, although probably legal. It would be the easiest way to get in.

I had a friend try to go thru Palomar State Park with a gun in a locked case to reach 40 acres of public land......He got a ticket......Also, I'm assuming you know, if it's a preserve, it's greenie ammo...... ::)

ps......I hate the term "non-toxic"...... :mad:

Reactions: Poore Boy
ilovesprig said:
I had a friend try to go thru Palomar State Park with a gun in a locked case to reach 40 acres of public land......He got a ticket......Also, I'm assuming you know, if it's a preserve, it's greenie ammo...... ::)

ps......I hate the term "non-toxic"...... :mad:

But was he on a bike or a mechanical mode of conveyance? You can transport on a motorcycle in a locked case. Yeah steel shot a dentist friend.

14 CCR § 4313
§ 4313. Weapons and Traps.
(a) No person shall carry, possess or discharge across, in or into any portion of any unit any weapon, firearm, spear, bow and arrow, trap, net, or device capable of injuring, or killing any person or animal, or capturing any animal, or damaging any public or private property, except in underwater parks or designated archery ranges where the Department of Parks and Recreation finds that it is in its best interests.
(b) Nothing herein contained shall be construed in derogation of the use of weapons permitted by law or regulation and to be used for hunting in any unit, or portion thereof, open to hunting.
(c) Firearms not having a cartridge in any portion of the mechanism, other unloaded weapons or devices such as traps, nets, and bows and arrows may be possessed within temporary lodging or mechanical mode of conveyance when such implements are rendered temporarily inoperable or are packed, cased, or stored in a manner that will prevent their ready use.

BLM Regs 43 CFR 6301.5

Mechanical transport means any vehicle, device, or contrivance for moving people or material in or over land, water, snow, or air that has moving parts. This includes, but is not limited to, sailboats, sailboards, hang gliders, parachutes, bicycles, game carriers, carts, and wagons. The term does not include wheelchairs, nor does it include horses or other pack stock, skis, snowshoes, non-motorized river craft including, but not limited to, drift boats, rafts, and canoes, or sleds, travois, or similar devices without moving parts.

Forest Service Manual
2320.5(3)

3. Mechanical Transport. Any contrivance for moving people or material in or over land, water, or air, having moving parts, that provides a mechanical advantage to the user, and that is powered by a living or nonliving power source. This includes, but is not limited to, sailboats, hang gliders, parachutes, bicycles, game carriers, carts, and wagons. It does not include wheelchairs when used as necessary medical appliances. It also does not include skis, snowshoes, rafts, canoes, sleds, travois, or similar primitive devices without moving parts.

My friend was walking.......But what I think they're saying is you can drive thru a park (like a truck or car) for camping and such......Pretty gray, but would probably work in a court of law...... ;)

See my last, I placed in definitions... Heck he could roller skate in or wage an aerial assault via parachute. :)

Ok, here's the deal. Local LE love to hassle people there. It is their private hunting reserve. For good reason, 5x5 bucks will come in there from Chino State Park to Irvine ranch and rest. But the caution is there are plenty of long tail. It was purchased as a reserve for long tail. OK?

To be successful you need to have two guys with cars. One goes to Sierra peak (you need to know where you are going, rangers will lie to you) Then you need to have two guys. One to carry the firearms out and one to cart (yes, you heard cart, to get the bucks out). Going to release info here. There are 175 bucks that grunt at you. But you need a partner. One for the sierra peak and one for the 91 lug out with a cart.

I'm game but never found anyone willing. Wretched hike out.

I hit edit button on this board. Due to new laws LE can be busted and jailed with a cell phone video. You have to be able to take cell phone video. Another thing not publicized is that you don;t have to use shotgun as DFW publizes. Centerfire is authorized contrary to DFW;county regs says it allows. county regulation allows centifire. I would love to buy a tag but not going to do it unless someone is going with me.

Ok, here's the deal. Local LE love to hassle people there. It is their private hunting reserve. For good reason, 5x5 bucks will come in there from Chino State Park to Irvine ranch and rest. But the caution is there are plenty of long tail. It was purchased as a reserve for long tail. OK?

To be successful you need to have two guys with cars. One goes to Sierra peak (you need to know where you are going, rangers will lie to you) Then you need to have two guys. One to carry the firearms out and one to cart (yes, you heard cart, to get the bucks out). Going to release info here. There are 175 bucks that grunt at you. But you need a partner. One for the sierra peak and one for the 91 lug out with a cart.

Hi TonyS,

Don't know if you are still on here but worth a shot. I am tempted to try the Chino Hills State Park access point with a buddy of mine via bicycle. I am currently awaiting a legal definition of "Mechanical Mode of Conveyance" from the state park officials. Do you have any recommendations or updated information about this zone? I think it may be worth the risks due to its proximity to my home.

Thanks!

Reactions: nicapopolis

Game cart... pack it on your back!

I doubt 175" bucks in there... unless 175 was in reference to something else.

I know this is an old post.

Last edited:
Holy necropost, guys its not a secret honey hole and its not great ground by any strech. There are zero 170" bucks up there. There are deer and other critters but the juice is not worth the squeeze. To much un hunted good ground near by.

The key is to the gate in corona that goes up the back side of black star peak. The county would give you a key for a deposit. There are lots of keys floating around.

Wow. Revival of an old post. The biggest PO going there is the hassle with the locks. LEOs constantly were cutting off the county locks and putting there own on. Sounds like Juan has much more current info as I gave up years ago.

Nicopopolis, yes my friend, approach WITHOUT a firearm from the old Coal Canyon exit and walk up the hill. When you start getting grunted at take a look. 175 or better and they know you aren't going to do anything. I have seen 5 or 6 huge bucks in there at one time. Take a hike and find out for yourself.

Blackstar thing won't work unless you LIKE being harassed by the anti-hikers. They will threaten to call LEO (their personal hunting grounds) and photo your car. They might even get LEO out there to harass you.

Oh and it would be wise to recognize that the State bought the area as a passageway for long tail. There is nothing as much fun as walking through on a nice foggy morning and hearing a long tail scream from 10 yards away. I always carried 00 buck shot. Twice I walked up on long tails making bacon.

Last edited:

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu