Anyone hunting turkey this spring?

BoyScout

Oct 14, 2022
I just got an email from DFG. What do you guys think about applying to some of these hunts that are up north? Is it worth it to apply even if there is only a 20 permit quota? Seems like low chances of drawing. Anyone having success in D16 area public land?

Heard they can be good but really hard to draw. If you do draw keep in mind it’s a far drive and you only are allowed to hunt until 12 or 1 pm.

I just got an email from DFG. What do you guys think about applying to some of these hunts that are up north? Is it worth it to apply even if there is only a 20 permit quota? Seems like low chances of drawing. Anyone having success in D16 area public land?

4 words...SPRING TURKEY TUNE-UP....March 11th at Lake Henshaw Resort....46 hunts will be raffled off on private land....They'll also be 2 more hunts on private/private land ($20.00 per raffle ticket).

The hunts are right here in San Diego Co. and the odds of you getting drawn and actually getting a turkey are just as good.

STTU 2023.JPG

Worth is subjective, is $2 for 0-1% draw odds for each hunt a good deal? You be the judge.

I don't put in for those (apparently I don't think it's worth it) but do get out in the spring. I was able to bag 2 D16 toms last year on public. It takes a good bit of work but it's very rewarding. The TTU is great as @ilovesprig mentioned. You should also come next Tuesday to the Hamburger Factory in Poway for the NWTF meeting, you dont need to be a member. Grab a bite to eat and come talk turkey with other fellow hunters.

Turk.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the better question would be where is everyone headed to Turkey hunt local, up north, out of state etc

I’ll be headed up north to a buddy’s property

Reactions: ilovesprig
How’s the public land Turkey hunting in Utah? Good flocks and good public land?

How’s the public land Turkey hunting in Utah? Good flocks and good public land?

The evolution of turkey hunting in Utah has not been a good one...This will be my 7th spring there...The 1st year I thought I had died and gone to turkey haven...Gobbles everywhere I went and it was all public...And, the best part was, I didn't see a single other hunter...The 2nd year, I started to see a few road hunters, but they make/made little difference...Still plenty of birds...By the 3rd year, there were guys starting to actually turkey hunt, but again, no problem finding birds...In 2020, the PLAN-demic hit and there seemed to be someone behind every tree, bush, trailhead, and the amount of "Drive by" shooting had increased 10 fold...2 years ago, I started noticing turkeys were getting pushed farther and farther off the beaten path...At the same time, the drought was hitting Utah pretty bad...The pure turkey numbers were starting to fall and birds were getting much harder to find...Hell, I couldn't even get a single gobble in places that used to be a complete gobblefest...And, that was on public and private...Oh, did I mention that they added a fall season and you could shoot up tp 3 hens...This was supposed to be on private property only, but talking to locals, that wasn't the case...And, you could use rimfire rifles.

Then there was last spring...I drove 100's of miles, hunted even farther north, and walked miles on two 7 day trips...Didn't hear a gobble with the exception of opening morning on the one piece of private I have...Tom flew down and apparently some drive by saw him, snuck up, and shot him as he was coming to me...Finally called another bird in on the 13th day, and he hung up behind some oak brush...Gobbled his fool head off, but wouldn't give me a clear shot from 25-30 yds...That was that and canceled my 3rd trip over...One other troubling observation...Never saw a jake on public or call one in...That never happened in the past.

Utah is 75% public (some of the best is private)...So, there's tons of places to go, but that's part of the problem now...Fewer birds with canyons and good habitat everywhere...You can only walk and hunt so many places...Hopefully, the numbers will increase with some good wet springs...They also dropped the fall hunt to 1 turkey either sex.

The evolution of turkey hunting in Utah has not been a good one...This will be my 7th spring there...The 1st year I thought I had died and gone to turkey haven...Gobbles everywhere I went and it was all public...And, the best part was, I didn't see a single other hunter...The 2nd year, I started to see a few road hunters, but they make/made little difference...Still plenty of birds...By the 3rd year, there were guys starting to actually turkey hunt, but again, no problem finding birds...In 2020, the PLAN-demic hit and there seemed to be someone behind every tree, bush, trailhead, and the amount of "Drive by" shooting had increased 10 fold...2 years ago, I started noticing turkeys were getting pushed farther and farther off the beaten path...At the same time, the drought was hitting Utah pretty bad...The pure turkey numbers were starting to fall and birds were getting much harder to find...Hell, I couldn't even get a single gobble in places that used to be a complete gobblefest...And, that was on public and private...Oh, did I mention that they added a fall season and you could shoot up tp 3 hens...This was supposed to be on private property only, but talking to locals, that wasn't the case...And, you could use rimfire rifles.

Then there was last spring...I drove 100's of miles, hunted even farther north, and walked miles on two 7 day trips...Didn't hear a gobble with the exception of opening morning on the one piece of private I have...Tom flew down and apparently some drive by saw him, snuck up, and shot him as he was coming to me...Finally called another bird in on the 13th day, and he hung up behind some oak brush...Gobbled his fool head off, but wouldn't give me a clear shot from 25-30 yds...That was that and canceled my 3rd trip over...One other troubling observation...Never saw a jake on public or call one in...That never happened in the past.

Utah is 75% public (some of the best is private)...So, there's tons of places to go, but that's part of the problem now...Fewer birds with canyons and good habitat everywhere...You can only walk and hunt so many places...Hopefully, the numbers will increase with some good wet springs...They also dropped the fall hunt to 1 turkey either sex.

Apparently, UT is in a scary place right now. I was just talking to my buddy who lives close to WY. With all the snow and more coming the deer herds are in real trouble. Not sure how that affects the birds or not (how do they deal with heavy snow?) but the more southern part of the state seems to be doing better in terms of deer. I guess the elk are tougher.

Apparently, UT is in a scary place right now. I was just talking to my buddy who lives close to WY. With all the snow and more coming the deer herds are in real trouble. Not sure how that affects the birds or not (how do they deal with heavy snow?) but the more southern part of the state seems to be doing better in terms of deer. I guess the elk are tougher.

Adam,

Turkeys handle snow pretty well and can be very nomadic...The issue would be, if snows crusts over frozen or is too deep for them to dig down thru it...Southern Utah is better in that sense (high desert), but St George is getting snow...So, that means the higher elevations must be getting hammered.

Last edited:
From what I've seen on the news the mountains here in Sacal are going to get up to 5 maybe 6' of snow from this storm.

Granny says she has a big fat one coming in and stealing her poor cats food from the porch every morning...might poke the old pellet gun out the back window and KAPOOW..one to the throat....and that's all she wrote..down goes Tom..standby 16ers..

Reactions: sportyg
From what I've seen on the news the mountains here in SoCal are going to get up to 5 maybe 6' of snow from this storm.

This amount of snow in the San Bernardino Mts is one of the reasons turkeys did not make it there...You that are old enough remember the winter of 93...Same time the turkeys were released here in San Diego...We don't get nearly the amount of snow that they get....Right now, there's about 4-6"....Nothing a flock of turkeys can't handle.

068.JPG

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu