Anything on Potrero Unit opening?

Hunt&Done

Apr 23, 2019
I've seen the gates closed but haven't heard anything on when/if they'll open.
Can I just park my truck at the gate where Potero Rd and Highland Springs meet and hump it in?
Tried SJ a week and a half ago for upland and small game....not a dayamn thing!

Also, anyone know how to get into the BLM area of where Gilman Springs and 60 is?
Surrounded by private poperty but looks very welcoming.

My first year as a hunter in 2019 was not promising at all so desperation is starting to kick in.
Big Horn Canyon Ranch is starting to look tempting :sob:

Drive farther, hike shorter, takes the same amount of time and less frustrating. I have found getting about an hour to hour and a half away at least from the large cities and access opens up, pressure goes down, and lots of animals around.

Reactions: Hunt&Done
Potrero will open when hell freezes over or the 12th of never, whichever comes last.

most of the upland birds near SJ live over the hill in the Lake Perris campgrounds, where you can’t shoot. And most of the rabbits live in the brush around the duck blinds, where you can’t hunt rabbit.

Sorry for being so negative, but like it was said, drive further out into no mans land or go to the IV.

that area around gilman is not good to go.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu