Argh... no bucks on cam yet, but lotsa fam.

TheGDog

Nov 28, 2018
XX
That sinking feeling when you arrive at your TrailCam... go into setup and you see a way too high a number of pics taken.

Gona have to go back and turn sensitivity to low. When it's hot and the winds blow, buncha false triggers from vegetation swaying.

But... there definitely is some young nubile "P" to bring in the bucks when the time is right.

This Mom and Fawn spanned across a few days and nights.
EK000040.JPG

These two girlie friends were running from something...

And I was particularly keen on these next few pics from the days after these two girls... because I've done several calling sets all up and down this area with no takers (except for Bobcat in Feb). So it was cool to have confirmation that yotes were indeed there. Looks like a young one, so I have to assume those two girls were maybe running from the parents?

Last edited:
I'm bummed. Usually I'd see at least something legal in that amount of time. I dunno. We'll see I guess.

Cool pics G, the spots seems to be a "route" looks like they are passing bye. Have you check near by to see where they might be heading? I adjusted pics to see if anything was hiding in the bright areas..easier on the eyes.. cool pics though congrats on getting some movement.yotes.png

Was just really hoping I could see a particular buck again, from 2yrs ago.

There's a place where they cross over into private property. But, the place you can hide at around that area (where I got my first buck)... isn't in the shade until deep in the PM and the wind direction is a crosswind that blows from you over to the line they'd be taking to get towards the private property and this gap in the fencing caused by a large tree that had fallen over and pushed down the wire. So you'd definitely have to be on point in term of spotting them approaching.

And in-between there is another area I believe they go thru to get into the private. But the ground cover is mostly very open in that area (though right now the little bushes are pretty tall with this years rains) since it's under large oaks with lots of space in between them. And that ground is crazy noisy to walk thru. This one desert colored ghillie-suit blends well there though, so it may be a place I need to do a set on during this season if the other two end up not providing. Also in those areas which are closer to the private, I worry about one getting hit then running into the private. Which is sorta why I focus on that open area the cam is pointing on. Two tavel corridors cross each other right there, and it's far enough away from the private there's no way they could run and make it in there before keeling over.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
All my killer spots have been landlocked. Uggg . And the other was sold private property..
The areas around my property , the deer are very few, but some.. big bucks..
P.S. my phone is pita

leave the sensitivity alone, lots of pics are better then missed ones. you can scan them fast and memory is free :) If that is a game trail they are using id set the cam pointing down the trail

I pointed it at the best angle for both seeing them appear and avoiding the hanging branches of that one tree over to the left of the FOV. It has a lot of hanging down scraggle to it.

Scraggle is just what I call those old dead curlied-up branches that start hanging downward to the ground.

RE: the sensitivity issue - I will have to turn it down. First time I experienced this... I'd came back and the dang thing took like 4000+ pics and drained the battery in 2 days flat because it was super hot AND windy.

Go get them . Bucks are still up high and in the thick stuff, give it time
Don't leave to much human scent.

P.S. My phone is a pita. Lol :)

Well, in next two weeks, Mama wants to host another pool party at the house, the boy starts Jr High, and then this weekend Bear Bow Season starts... so I will be leaving this area alone for a bit.

And I am not picky man... even if it's the dinkiest barely legal forkie I'd be all kindsa happy to get something. Last year really bummed me out, the only opportunity was very first day of Bow Season and that little forkie ducked the arrow in the last milliseconds and it just missed him sailing cm's over his back! Then nothing... else.. showed.. up... for all the rest of the days I spent out there. Except for some does that walked past at 35yds.

But at least this year I've got some spots in different areas I'm going to try a sit at, if after that first week I don't get anything here at this place.

Hopefully though, making use of Buck Grunts will work like it did when I called in that 3x3 I missed on.

Man.. I will never forget how jazzed I got when I saw 3x3 coming up that gullie outta the side of eyes! Was soo pissed that I blew that one!!!

Reactions: longbowhunter2
LOL I missed a lot of deer with my Longbow & compound bow, , Ishi I a not lol,, I think my ancestors had better luck running deer down lol.
but to be honest I killed lots of deer, and I was trying to get m partner on his first deer... so I put my getting a deer on second...
believe it or not I have had the best luck with fawn or rabbit distress calls, I have had does run right up to were I was calling from.. mostly worked
in the beginning of the season... A22 Tag baby :)

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu