Arroz con liebre estilo manchego ( sort of )

Jred

Mar 19, 2018
Jack Rabbit Rice
This is s free interpretation of the original recipe because I don't have a couple of hours to slow cook the meat but the crock pot is a good compromise.
Start with just the jack's 4 legs and backstraps, marinate overnight in red wine.
In a big skillet fry 6 slices of bacon or use any type of fat or oil you prefer. (It's hard to go wrong with bacon)
Grind one onion, one red pepper, one green pepper and 5 cloves of garlic and brown them in the skillet.
Dry the meat with a paper towel, salt it add some powder spices and coat it with almond flour or bread crumbs.
Brown the meat in the skillet with the rest of the mixture until it's nice and dark outside.
Empty the skillet into the crock put, add some carrots and half of the wine.
Cook on low for 10 hours.
When it's done, strain the broth from the crock pot and cook 2 or 3 cups of rice in it (depending on the size of the jackrabbit) 20190408_193916.jpg20190408_193947.jpg
Debone the meat, add it to the rice, mix it, add some stuffed olives or red peppers and serve.

I'd rather use skunk. Year old roadkill skunk, that's been laying in the sun on blacktop. But it may be worth trying. Now I have to get that skunk.:yum

Reactions: Dawnandusk
Jack Rabbit Rice
This is s free interpretation of the original recipe because I don't have a couple of hours to slow cook the meat but the crock pot is a good compromise.
Start with just the jack's 4 legs and backstraps, marinate overnight in red wine.
In a big skillet fry 6 slices of bacon or use any type of fat or oil you prefer. (It's hard to go wrong with bacon)
Grind one onion, one red pepper, one green pepper and 5 cloves of garlic and brown them in the skillet.
Dry the meat with a paper towel, salt it add some powder spices and coat it with almond flour or bread crumbs.
Brown the meat in the skillet with the rest of the mixture until it's nice and dark outside.
Empty the skillet into the crock put, add some carrots and half of the wine.
Cook on low for 10 hours.
When it's done, strain the broth from the crock pot and cook 2 or 3 cups of rice in it (depending on the size of the jackrabbit) View attachment 38932View attachment 38933
Debone the meat, add it to the rice, mix it, add some stuffed olives or red peppers and serve.
Looks delicious, never mind those guys. Good job

Reactions: Goyaałé
Does it have to be jackrabbit? Gross!
It doesn't, I guess you can use any other meat, me I've been hunting for 6 months and this is the most protein I've been able to bring home. Jack Rabbits have great meat though, they have been considered a delicacy in European cuisine forever to the point of breeding specialiced dogs and falcons to get them.
To me the key is bleeding and gutting them as soon as they hit the ground.

Looks good.
Everyone is eating Jack Rabbits now. They are fun to shoot but I have never had a good experience eating them. I am gonna shoot a few more and try some online recipes. By far the gamiest toughest tasting critter I have tried to eat.

Nicely done Jred. Your meal looks amazing. Some red wine would finish it nicely. After seeing this, I would not rule out Skunk! ;)

That looks great. Thanks for sharing. I feel with rabbits the key to good flavor is cut the meat off of bones and pull out any tendons, cartilages or other stuff you see, and soak the pure meat. I found cooking with the bones and other parts still in creates strong flavors.

We used to shoot piles of them when we were kids. I remember they had a bunch of worms/maggots in them.
Nic..EXACTLY MY POINT!! cant get those images out of my head..the horror....

In a way, it's a great thing that they are so underappreciated here, they are plentiful, fun to shoot, open season all year and you get to chase them in glorious solitude without opening day crowds shooting over your head. But if anyone is interested in venturing beyond grilling and frying this recipe will make you a rodent eater. Next up, yote á la royal...

The Hmong eat dog..how bad could it be?

In a way, it's a great thing that they are so underappreciated here, they are plentiful, fun to shoot, open season all year and you get to chase them in glorious solitude without opening day crowds shooting over your head. But if anyone is interested in venturing beyond grilling and frying this recipe will make you a rodent eater. Next up, yote á la royal...
I will give you a coyote to eat if you post it up on here. I am taking some guys out on the 20th I will be surprised if we don't call a few in where do you live. Do you want the whole thing or will a rear quarter work for you?

WTF is wrong with people..
Getting bored , get a F___G life.
Don't have nothing good to say.
Then move on people....
Lee you have to admit eating a coyote is a little taboo to say the least. I honestly want to see him do it and will gladly provide it if I get a chance. All my dogs get dumped in bushes and ditches now anyways. Between all of us on here I am sure someone can spare a coyote rear quarter out of their freezer.

I only eat store bought pork...a person would actually have to hunt to eat wild pork...and thats surley not me. As for a bro wanting to donate some dog to a guy that wants to fry um up..i see nothing wrong with that?

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu