AZ apps wrapped up.

NBK

Trying to be the man my dog thinks I am.
GOLD SITE SUPPORTER
Mar 8, 2011
San Diego, Ca.
This would be a good year to draw AZ deer. Projected antler growth is good. I am due to get lucky. With 15 points for both deer and sheep, I am in no-mans land. You never know though.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
This would be a good year to draw AZ deer. Projected antler growth is good. I am due to get lucky. With 15 points for both deer and sheep, I am in no-mans land. You never know though.

Even for someone with as many points as you for sheep, is it feasible that you’ll ever catch up to max? I would think no. I assume the only way I’m ever going to draw an AZ sheep tag is in the random. Was studying units last night after listening to Jay Scott’s run down of the units. Looking to balance “good” draw odds and a unit that can produce a good sheep.

For deer are you all in on a strip tag or chasing something more attainable?

Even for someone with as many points as you for sheep, is it feasible that you’ll ever catch up to max? I would think no. I assume the only way I’m ever going to draw an AZ sheep tag is in the random. Was studying units last night after listening to Jay Scott’s run down of the units. Looking to balance “good” draw odds and a unit that can produce a good sheep.

For deer are you all in on a strip tag or chasing something more attainable?

You are right, I will probably never get max points, mortality stands in the way. But, I can hunt some good units where I stand moving forward.

Yes Kellen, I am a glutton and continue to put in for the strip hoping for a random draw as I collect points. I have threatened in the past to burn the points on a coues deer hunt but have never pulled the trigger. I am at the point now, where I can draw a premium hunt in most Western states. Next year I will be hunting Colorado mule deer and so on. I am pretty much done being a point collector.

Reactions: TRICER
You are right, I will probably never get max points, mortality stands in the way. But, I can hunt some good units where I stand moving forward.

Yes Kellen, I am a glutton and continue to put in for the strip hoping for a random draw as I collect points. I have threatened in the past to burn the points on a coues deer hunt but have never pulled the trigger. I am at the point now, where I can draw a premium hunt in most Western states. Next year I will be hunting Colorado mule deer and so on. I am pretty much done being a point collector.

Sounds like you’re in a good position to use your points in other states to get a good premium hunt every year while you continue to apply for the strip. Maybe late Kaibab if it doesn’t happen in 5 years or so? I love hunting Coues deer but I can’t imagine burning 15 points on one. Come hunt them on the border with us for 0 points! Good luck in the draw...

I dunno fellas..AZ is just ok in my book...as far as accumulating points..that ship sailed for me many moons ago, the boys do all the point hoarding now, 1 of the 3 knuckleheads is bound to draw whopper tag at some point, hope to be around to go with and just sit or stand there when he does..LOL!

Dude we can get a coues on a leftover tag. Let’s do it.
My strategy in AZ is go for the good units but the earlier season hunts that require more work. I put in for Kaibab every year, with 4 points I have like. 6% chance of drawing. I want a giant Mule Deer like the rest of you.
After I burn my points I will just hunt AZ every year I will have 2 points every year because of layalty and hunters Education. There are a lot of good hunts in a AZ but there are also some great ones that we all want.

I'm looking into getting in the point game in other states starting with AZ. I'm not really interested in building points for a tag I'll never draw (e.g. sheep), but working my way towards a premium deer tag someday sounds exciting.

You responded to the wrong guy Ed. I have just decided I am in. My next phone call on Tuesday is to Bruce. PM me your phone #. My wife has been bugging me to do this for a decade. Your gonna' be sorry!

Yep, you are going to be hooked..!! Let me know when ur ready to go down to archery range down in Balboa park and fling some sticks..! :)

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu