Az archery success

Jacobo2012

Oct 27, 2018
After 10 days of hard hard hunting I was able to finally get a shot off! Logged 91.9 miles in 10 days of hunting and 6000 feet of elevation gain! We were able to find and get on elk every single day but one day. And had multiple encounters on multiple days. Seen some of the biggest bulls I’ve ever seen in my life and got to chase a few big ones. Called in a few satellite bulls but could never get a clean shot on them. Blew more than a few stalks. And learned a ton
I had an opportunity at a huge 7x7 one night but it was right at last light and my rangefinder wouldn’t pick up its figure I’d guess he was 50-70 yards perfectly broadside and his 12 cows were probably 30or 40 yds from me. Went back the next day to catch them coming up to feed again and ran into to this little bull he let me slip in to about 40 yards and was in a triangle of trees I set my second pin at 37 stayed behind a pine tree he got up out of his bed stepped out into a clearing and stopped I drew back and held waiting for him to step out and he didn’t so I side stepped three times while at full draw aimed and shot!
He went 20 yards and stopped and was throwing up blood out of nose and mouth i though awesome perfect lung shot but saw no sign of a wound on his body he went over a little ridge and I heard him crash!
Come to find out I was quite a bit right and hit him in the jugular
Just a little bull but he’ll fill the freezer and I’m more than happy with him for my first archery elk!
Thanks for the read and hoped you guys enjoyed IMG_8734.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dc1f26711b2061fd7b9cabfb02c8ee49.jpg

That's one way to pack out an elk..awesome story and congrats on slaying that bull with your bow!

Lol..
Funny story on that picture we heard an afternoon bugle and called in a satellite bull to 72 yards and we weren’t set up correctly because we were chasing the bugle and he came flying into my cow calls
He pinned me behind a tree and wouldn’t stop staring at what he thought was a cow
I leaned out and ranged him at 72 and he just took off
He bugled again around the mtn and we chased it and ran into these guys taking off on the mtn. Then 100 yds past them was a college couple doing who knows what!

Great read and photos as well, filled the freezer that is what counts congrats on a great hunt.

Thanks! And I’m not a trophy hunter by any means got into hunting a little late
Thought this bull would taste a little better than the tag would lol
Especially after being 1500-2000$ in the hole. Next up is a 3rd season co rifle hunt should be fun

After 10 days of hard hard hunting I was able to finally get a shot off! Logged 91.9 miles in 10 days of hunting and 6000 feet of elevation gain! We were able to find and get on elk every single day but one day. And had multiple encounters on multiple days. Seen some of the biggest bulls I’ve ever seen in my life and got to chase a few big ones. Called in a few satellite bulls but could never get a clean shot on them. Blew more than a few stalks. And learned a ton
I had an opportunity at a huge 7x7 one night but it was right at last light and my rangefinder wouldn’t pick up its figure I’d guess he was 50-70 yards perfectly broadside and his 12 cows were probably 30or 40 yds from me. Went back the next day to catch them coming up to feed again and ran into to this little bull he let me slip in to about 40 yards and was in a triangle of trees I set my second pin at 37 stayed behind a pine tree he got up out of his bed stepped out into a clearing and stopped I drew back and held waiting for him to step out and he didn’t so I side stepped three times while at full draw aimed and shot!
He went 20 yards and stopped and was throwing up blood out of nose and mouth i though awesome perfect lung shot but saw no sign of a wound on his body he went over a little ridge and I heard him crash!
Come to find out I was quite a bit right and hit him in the jugular
Just a little bull but he’ll fill the freezer and I’m more than happy with him for my first archery elk!
Thanks for the read and hoped you guys enjoyed View attachment 51160

Works for me. Elk meat is elk meat, congregation. I'll have to show this to my friend, he has a spike elk tag I Utah.

Reactions: Jacobo2012

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu