Backpacking sleeping bag

KoozeDeer

Jul 18, 2016
Hey fellas I am looking for a used bag for backpacking. I am tall at 6’4” so it needs to be long. Anyone have anything to sell?

I have a Big Agnes Lost Ranger (not for sale) with the sleeping pad insert, which saves weight because theres no down on the bottom. Never slide off your pad again. Very wide and roomy. Love it. Found this combo for you... a steal for $200. Ed F

I have a Big Agnes Lost Ranger (not for sale) with the sleeping pad insert, which saves weight because theres no down on the bottom. Never slide off your pad again. Very wide and roomy. Love it. Found this combo for you... a steal for $200. Ed F

Thanks for the info, funny thing. I had a big angus with the same pad set up. I froze my a** of in Utah last year. Vowed not to use it unless it’s in the 40’s

Yep... that goes with most sleeping bag ratings. This bag is a 40° bag at best. I use it for early season high country hunts. You didn't specify the conditions... Ed F

Reactions: stikbrandon
I have the lost ranger 15 bag. I have slept in it down to 29 degrees and not been cold. I think a lot of the temp rating depends on the pad you are using.
With that said I still have the bag. But have switched over to an Enlightened Equipment 20 degree quilt for the weight savings.

I have the lost ranger 15 bag. I have slept in it down to 29 degrees and not been cold. I think a lot of the temp rating depends on the pad you are using.
With that said I still have the bag. But have switched over to an Enlightened Equipment 20 degree quilt for the weight savings.
LP....What is the lowest temp you have been in with the quilt? Do quilts follow the same general rule as a bag? IE... 20 degree bag would be comfortable to say 35 - 40 degrees? Or do quilts stay warm down to temp rating?

Camofire has a lot of closeout bags on sell throughout the week. Cheap heavy ones on up depending on the day.

LP....What is the lowest temp you have been in with the quilt? Do quilts follow the same general rule as a bag? IE... 20 degree bag would be comfortable to say 35 - 40 degrees? Or do quilts stay warm down to temp rating?
My 10deg enlighten equipment keeps me warm
in the teens, like sweating if I have on base layers. But I use an xtherm pad so it really keeps the heat in. Like LP said the pad makes or breaks your sleep system. Only thing that can stink about the quilt is unless you are in a shelter if there is wind it can find ways in. I love my EE quilt.
I use that 10 deg quilt in all temps under 50 nice thing about a quilt is you can really regulate the temp since you can stick out limbs etc.

Last edited:

Dan last season was the first time I used the quilt.
My quilt is rated for 20 degrees. The coldest temp I have been in with it was 29 degrees and I was warm and felt that if the temps were lower I would have been fine. I’m pairing it with the Big Agnes Q coreSLX that I believe is rated to 15 degrees.
I think the higher quality bags and quilts
like the EE quilts and Western Mountaineering bags are usable closer to their temp rating.

Patrick and I went in depth with sleeping systems on our Gear podcast, Patrick being the more experienced back packer, he has saved my ass a few times lol.

He swears by the the rating of bag being the surviving temp and not the comfort rating. Obviously most of you guys on this thread have experienced that aspect of a sleeping system. That being said. I use the XKG summit 0 degree bag.

It is light and is perfect for back packing. I don’t run a pad with it until I know the temps are going to be in the 30’s. The cold ground is the killer and will suck the heat away, will make for a long night. Last year in Utah it as in the low 20’s and I was not cold with therm-A-rest pad.

Patrick and I went in depth with sleeping systems on our Gear podcast, Patrick being the more experienced back packer, he has saved my ass a few times lol.

He swears by the the rating of bag being the surviving temp and not the comfort rating. Obviously most of you guys on this thread have experienced that aspect of a sleeping system. That being said. I use the XKG summit 0 degree bag.

It is light and is perfect for back packing. I don’t run a pad with it until I know the temps are going to be in the 30’s. The cold ground is the killer and will suck the heat away, will make for a long night. Last year in Utah it as in the low 20’s and I was not cold with therm-A-rest pad.

$189.00 is not bad. To stay warm.
I have had good and bad experience.
You are absolutely correct about the ground sucking the heat out of one..
Getting cold is just miserable.
Good way to ruin an otherwise good hunt and camp..
Just remember if necessary build a shelter.

Steve my old man was like Hatchet with his kids.
When I was a kid we would go to the desert. The old man gave me a 40 degree bag to sleep in 30 degree temps on the ground no pad. (I might be stretching the temp rating a little) the wind would blow right through the bag. So many nights of shivering all night long with no sleep.
All while he was sleeping in the camper.

Steve my old man was like Hatchet with his kids.
When I was a kid we would go to the desert. The old man gave me a 40 degree bag to sleep in 30 degree temps (I might be stretching it a little) the wind would blow right through the bag. So many nights of shivering all night long with no sleep.
All while he was sleeping in the camper.
I spent a lot of nights at the desert on a cot or in a tent while the adults were in the camper.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu