Baptized in the Snake

HortoTheSlayer

May 17, 2018
Boise Idaho
Well my buddy and I got out for the last day of the season. Been in the single digits out here..warmed up to 12° this morning so we headed out. Got to our hole and when we got out of the car we could here lots of ducks around. We were worried if we busted them out when working our way down to go set the decoys then we wouldn't get them to come back so we decided to wait it out until shooting light and jump shoot them. Once it was legal shooting light we worked our way closer and sure enough about 2 dozen mallards started to take off. I took a shot and dropped one. Watched it hit the water then got 2 more shots off but the rest survived. Had to run to get my waders on because the current was taking my duck downstream. I got in the water as it had moved about 30 yards from where I shot it and wasn't stopping. I left my wading stick at my buddies place and was trying to rush and tripped on a rock and hit the water. Luckily my arms broke my fall and my waders didn't take in water. I was able to get up and get my duck. It made it about 60yds from where I shot it. Thankfully the water level was lower then before and didn't take too much effort to get to it. But I was good and wet to my elbows and down to my waist. Hands were freezing and took sometime to warm up. My jacket froze up where it was wet it was so cold out. I set 2 dozen decoys out and we sat back hoping to have some birds come in. About an hr or so later a couple dudes in a boat (obviously smater then us) would eventually work their way past us scaring off the ducks that were just upstream from us. We were both cold and wet and decided to call it shortly after. Could barely move my hands after pulling the decoys..it was a learning experience for the both of us. I definitely need to invest into some better waders and cold weather gear for next season..also a boat and a dog would probably make things easier! Until next season!

IMG_20230131_110944.jpg

IMG_20230131_110948.jpg

Well my buddy and I got out for the last day of the season. Been in the single digits out here..warmed up to 12° this morning so we headed out. Got to our hole and when we got out of the car we could here lots of ducks around. We were worried if we busted them out when working our way down to go set the decoys then we wouldn't get them to come back so we decided to wait it out until shooting light and jump shoot them. Once it was legal shooting light we worked our way closer and sure enough about 2 dozen mallards started to take off. I took a shot and dropped one. Watched it hit the water then got 2 more shots off but the rest survived. Had to run to get my waders on because the current was taking my duck downstream. I got in the water as it had moved about 30 yards from where I shot it and wasn't stopping. I left my wading stick at my buddies place and was trying to rush and tripped on a rock and hit the water. Luckily my arms broke my fall and my waders didn't take in water. I was able to get up and get my duck. It made it about 60yds from where I shot it. Thankfully the water level was lower then before and didn't take too much effort to get to it. But I was good and wet to my elbows and down to my waist. Hands were freezing and took sometime to warm up. My jacket froze up where it was wet it was so cold out. I set 2 dozen decoys out and we sat back hoping to have some birds come in. About an hr or so later a couple dudes in a boat (obviously smater then us) would eventually work their way past us scaring off the ducks that were just upstream from us. We were both cold and wet and decided to call it shortly after. Could barely move my hands after pulling the decoys..it was a learning experience for the both of us. I definitely need to invest into some better waders and cold weather gear for next season..also a boat and a dog would probably make things easier! Until next season!

View attachment 57490

View attachment 57491
It's stories like this that make me wish I had taken up water fowl hunting. Wet, freezing ur nuts off, not able to feel ur fingers. Well, it's never too late. I'll start searching for water fowl gear right away. :)

It's best not to jump shoot where you plan to set decoys. Let them get bumped off without gunfire. Better chance they'll trickle back.
Took the chance..definitely not what I normally do but last time we set up there we only had one duck come into the decoys so we figured we'd try a different approach.

River duck hunting in freezing temps can be some of the best duck hunting you will see but it can go from hall of fame to life or death real fast especially when a boat is in play!! be safe have a plan and buy the right gear. The Snake river hold lots of Mallards.

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
George,

Been there, done that....... :joy:

ps....What Matt said, I like to bump 'em....Then let them trickle back....Lots of stuff to buy for next season....Congrats on that greenhead..........:clap:

old pix highline canal.JPG

River duck hunting in freezing temps can be some of the best duck hunting you will see but it can go from hall of fame to life or death real fast especially when a boat is in play!! be safe have a plan and buy the right gear. The Snake river hold lots of Mallards.
Definitely not in Wister anymore..conditions are no joke and I will be way more prepared the next time I enter that river. Running through my head what I should have done differently and what I need to have with me in case things don't go as planned.

Reactions: sportyg
Definitely not in Wister anymore..conditions are no joke and I will be way more prepared the next time I enter that river. Running through my head what I should have done differently and what I need to have with me in case things don't go as planned.

George,

Hunting in cold weather is really no joke...I have said it many times, "You're hunting the elements, as much as you're hunting the game"........o_O

Hunting with someone else, having the correct gear, and investing in a dog are game changers...Doesn't even have to be a great dog...Just one that retrieves ducks & geese...There should be lots of labs up your way...Start now...Regardless, if he's (or she) is a pup or not...:blush:

ps...I don't know what shoe size you wear, but I have a pair of camo, size 13, 5mm, cold weather neoprene waders you can have...Also, buy some cold weather Under Armour long Johns...One of the best things I've ever INVESTED in...:heart:

pss...Gloves and good socks are SO important...I always carry at least 2 pairs of gloves with me...I face planted at Henshaw last week, gun and all (up to my elbows)...A 2nd pair of dry gloves were the key to not being TOO uncomfortable...For socks, I use the best, IMO...Darn Tough Merino Wool...Worth every dime...;)

George,

Hunting in cold weather is really no joke...I have said it many times, "You're hunting the elements, as much as you're hunting the game"........o_O

Hunting with someone else, having the correct gear, and investing in a dog are game changers...Doesn't even have to be a great dog...Just one that retrieves ducks & geese...There should be lots of labs up your way...Start now...Regardless, if he's (or she) is a pup or not...:blush:

ps...I don't know what shoe size you wear, but I have a pair of camo, size 13, 5mm, cold weather neoprene waders you can have...Also, buy some cold weather Under Armour long Johns...One of the best things I've ever INVESTED in...:heart:

pss...Gloves and good socks are SO important...I always carry at least 2 pairs of gloves with me...I face planted at Henshaw last week, gun and all (up to my elbows)...A 2nd pair of dry gloves were the key to not being TOO uncomfortable...For socks, I use the best, IMO...Darn Tough Merino Wool...Worth every dime...;)
This time I wore 2 pairs or merino wool socks and couldn't feel my toes after an hr..might bump it up to 3. I wear a size 12 but with 3 layers of socks I might be able to run those size 13 waders..

I really want a dog but still in an apartment at the moment. We are looking to get into a house by next year..maybe the the end of this year. Trying to convince my buddy who has a yard to get one lol. That and we might go 50/50 in an older boat we can keep at his place.

oh and definitely going to be getting good gloves and some back ups and have back up clothes as well in the car just in case. Saw some fleece lined pants at costco the other day that might be what I wear under waders for next time.

Reactions: ilovesprig
Wife got me some 800 gram insulated neoprene waders for V-Day so I'll be ready for next season. Some nice features like padded knees, ammo holders and even LED lights on the chest. They don't break the bank if anyone is looking for an affordable pair.

You can find them on amazon. They have a pretty solid warranty as well.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu