Barrett Lake 2021

ilovesprig

Staff member
Aug 3, 2012
Escondido
Guys,

It's the old,,,If you don't use it, you lose it...Got this today.

The Federation and other active waterfowl hunters (David Blackston) met with city lakes last week to discuss the waterfowl program at Barrett lake and the possibility of getting Sutherland opened again for ducks and geese. We were told the program was dependent on hunters using the facilities throughout the season. If hunter numbers are about the same as last year during the pandemic shutdown, the program is in Jeopardy of being cut due to budget issues within the city. Please look into using Barrett Lake if you are going to hunt waterfowl this season coming up. There are some great days to hunt within the county and you can save some money by following the directions on the attached flyer. David will be bringing in hard copies for next Monday's meeting. Please pass the information to your members.

Sincerely,

Larry F. Brennan
President, San Diego County Wildlife Federation
(831) 421-2450

barrett lake.jpg

Snake charmer

Anyone who lives in SD country or nearby and hunts waterfowl needs to jump on this. SD county used to have a premier hunt program for the city lakes. I shot waterfowl a bit before in the high desert in the seventies but got the real deal when I met NBK and shot Otay upper and lower in the near to hey day years of the early 90's as well as Sutherland. If this goes away because of lack of support it will never come back. Look around nothing else around in this vicinty exists. I know a couple of brothers that hunted Argentina every year for waterfowl when the had time but always did the city lakes thing because it was easy and always produced. They gave their ducks away after each hunt but loved the ease and quality of getting some in their own backyard. If you want this option you need to show you want do the work and pay the fees. The city in this day and age cannot support something that does not produce revenue. Use it or lose it...

Sorry Fred....I deleted the double post.

Reactions: vbCal
Snake charmer

Anyone who lives in SD country or nearby and hunts waterfowl needs to jump on this. SD county used to have a premier hunt program for the city lakes. I shot waterfowl a bit before in the high desert in the seventies but got the real deal when I met NBK and shot Otay upper and lower in the near to hey day years of the early 90's as well as Sutherland. If this goes away because of lack of support it will never come back. Look around nothing else around in this vicinty exists. I know a couple of brothers that hunted Argentina every year for waterfowl when the had time but always did the city lakes thing because it was easy and always produced. They gave their ducks away after each hunt but loved the ease and quality of getting some in their own backyard. If you want this option you need to show you want do the work and pay the fees. The city in this day and age cannot support something that does not produce revenue. Use it or lose it...

No worries Steve, I think most SD hunters don't know what a great resource this was and could be if it gets support. Come on people even if you have never waterfowled there are folks here that will help you get started. I'll donate decoys and gear as well as advice if there are some newbies that need a shove forwards..

Snake charmer

It's my second year duck hunting, I tried to find the info for this spot last year but they had not updated info online(at least that I could find) and I figured it was due to COVID. Do you know if we have to pick a blind when we call, or on the day of the hunt?

Reactions: ilovesprig
It's my second year duck hunting, I tried to find the info for this spot last year but they had not updated info online(at least that I could find) and I figured it was due to COVID. Do you know if we have to pick a blind when we call, or on the day of the hunt?

You used to draw numbers...Then #1 would have 1st choice on a blind and down the line till all blinds are taken...Nowadays, it sounds like there's leftovers.

Barrett, 1992

.barrett lake 1992.jpg

p
Have not participated in it for awhile, p.m. Sprig he will set you up advice wise, hell you might even be able to talk him into going with you if the donuts and coffee are good. I've got decoys I will give you if you need it.

p

Have not participated in it for awhile, p.m. Sprig he will set you up advice wise, hell you might even be able to talk him into going with you if the donuts and coffee are good. I've got decoys I will give you if you need it.

Fred,

I don't drink coffee, but a sap for donuts................................ :joy:

wow, if I hunted ducks I'd jump on this.. Before anyone ask it is a family thing I used to hunt them but stopped for family reasons..

Snake charmer

I plan to pursue this. I too have been bitten by the waterfowl bug recently and having a local area which seemingly has an abundance of available blinds sounds like a no brainer. I'll use this opportunity to introduce new hunters to this great sport. This state needs more of us, right down to the city.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu