Bear hunting

MarceloF

Jun 2, 2017
Any of you guys gone bear hunting?
I got a tag and would like to try to fill it up. Problem is I have no experience and was hoping for some tips...like what type of terrain, altitude, or whatever else I may need to know.
I've been trying to read to find information online but was hoping for some feed back from the forum.
Also, if anyone is interested in going out, let me know. (Experienced or not)
Marcelo

Here's some bear scat I saw last weekend
3c70c1e07963fff63c357ad425bc4c8d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I’ve been putting in some time this year...finding a ton of track some fresh some not...just staying up really high and glassing with the 15x56’s. I get this feeling like they’re waiting till complete darkness to come out so I’m hoping to catch one at first light! Nothing yet but patience will pay off!!!066DFB9C-0DA9-4DDA-AB1A-053E0A06F5F4.jpeg

I’ve been putting in some time this year...finding a ton of track some fresh some not...just staying up really high and glassing with the 15x56’s. I get this feeling like they’re waiting till complete darkness to come out so I’m hoping to catch one at first light! Nothing yet but patience will pay off!!!View attachment 36930
Awesome JonnyZ, very helpful ! What are the little prints, cubs?

Just lke deer hunting, look for sign. Tracks, scat, and ripped up pine trees about 7-10 feet high approximately. They are hungry getting ready hibernate. Study the tracks and scat on line. Look for near by dens. Big pines

Reactions: MarceloF
Just lke deer hunting, look for sign. Tracks, scat, and ripped up pine trees about 7-10 feet high approximately. They are hungry getting ready hibernate. Study the tracks and scat on line. Look for near by dens. Big pines
I have been doing some studying as well searching for blogs or camp reviews where people talk about seeing bears nearby.

Does that hold true in dense oak where they’re eating acorns? Also do they hyberbate in they’re southern range here in Ca?

Talk to the DFW biologist were the bears hang out
Edit: San Diego county has no bear.
Edit: best bear hunt MHO Eastern and Western Sierra's.

Last edited:
Reactions: JonnyZ
I’m hunting bears with fairly dense populations an hr north of Los Angeles in kern county which I guess would be considered central ca
I go near that area a lot to hunt, hit me up if you want company sometime. I dont have a lot of hunting experience but can hike like a pack mule :)

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu