Beginner SoCal Kit

kal-elk

Aug 21, 2021
Crossing over from upland, what's everything else needed to start as a beginner in Southern going for waterfowl in California? Talking Wister, San Jacinto, and Kern.

Picking up some waders soon. Goal is try to draw low res at the refuges, and try to use it to entice a veteran to join me. That being said, I still wanna go if I end up being on my own, so what all equipment do I need?

First thing that comes to mind, or course, are decoys. How many you figure to start? Will the refuge sites have enough cover or does everyone bring a blind in regardless? If so, what styles you recommend?

What else?

That can be a lot of info so here are some basics. License, federal duck stamp, state duck stamp, refuge day use pass or season pass,, waders, stool, blind bag, non toxic ammo, & gun of coarse.

Blind material depends on the refuge. Regardless, it's always good to have some lightweight leafy camo netting to fill in if you can't find enough natural blind material or to provide more shade as needed throughout the day.

A couple dozen duck decoys is enough to get you started. I know an old hunter looking to sell off all his waterfowl gear & decoys. He's in West Covina. If that work for you, PM me & I'll put you in contact with him.

If you end up hunting by yourself, which I don't recommend, make sure you've done some studying of what each species of ducks look like. Not just in hand but more importantly, in flight. Easy to make a mistake.

The good old boys here will hook you up.

I am sorry I am no help. Like you, I hunt doves but no ducks yet. From what I read here. I would imagine to hunt at Wister to start you need a vehicle that can get you out of trouble and all the equipment that goes with it.
Cheers.

Best thang is to cut your teeth at SJ ,you can learn what not to do before you adventure to wister.lol

18 or 24 decoys are good. A decoy cart is important, it makes the walk out much easier. You'll need a duck carrier, there's more stuff too. I might have my gear list leftover from last season, I'll see if I can find it. At San J and Wister, I would bring pruning shears instead of packing in cover, you can usually find cover around your blind to cut if needed but most of the time its not needed. San J has hog-wire blinds covered in palm fronds and Wister has blinds carved out of the bushes by the hunters. I'm nowhere close to being a veteran but I have learned some good spots at San J over the last few years and would be happy to help if you drew at San J.

Reactions: kal-elk
Best thang is to cut your teeth at SJ ,you can learn what not to do before you adventure to wister.lol
My first time at Wister, Dad and I started to set up our stuff close to the blind sign, but someone drove by and told us we needed to go to the reflective marker, so we had to run our gear over to the marker right before shoot time!

Kal,

Welcome to SCH...Send me a PM...Lots to talk about, but very doable...Number 1 is learn your ducks, as Matt mentioned earlier...Google is your friend.

Today at Wister................... :blush:

.IMG_0025.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: Duckfan and kal-elk
Walking stick / old ski pole..wister mud is next level..it's a game changer when setting decoys. A jet sled is also pretty slick for transporting decoys..learned both tips from Sprig! Now neither are necessary but man do little things like that make a difference. Oh and welcome to the site..lots of good waterfowlering info on here!

@ilovesprig what size sled do you use? I'll probably get one this year.

I actually have two...One Jet Sled XL for my normal cart and one XXL for places that I can drive too...The XXL is what I would own, if I could only have one...My dog stand fits in the inside along with a mud seat & directors chair...Generally, just easier to handle more stuff too.

.022.JPG022.JPG

That can be a lot of info so here are some basics. License, federal duck stamp, state duck stamp, refuge day use pass or season pass,, waders, stool, blind bag, non toxic ammo, & gun of coarse.

Blind material depends on the refuge. Regardless, it's always good to have some lightweight leafy camo netting to fill in if you can't find enough natural blind material or to provide more shade as needed throughout the day.

A couple dozen duck decoys is enough to get you started. I know an old hunter looking to sell off all his waterfowl gear & decoys. He's in West Covina. If that work for you, PM me & I'll put you in contact with him.

If you end up hunting by yourself, which I don't recommend, make sure you've done some studying of what each species of ducks look like. Not just in hand but more importantly, in flight. Easy to make a mistake.

I have most of these, what considerations to you keep in mind for the waterfowl specific gear like the blind bag and stool?

I'm curious what the differences in approach are at SJ v. Wister?

18 or 24 decoys are good. A decoy cart is important, it makes the walk out much easier. You'll need a duck carrier, there's more stuff too. I might have my gear list leftover from last season, I'll see if I can find it. At San J and Wister, I would bring pruning shears instead of packing in cover, you can usually find cover around your blind to cut if needed but most of the time its not needed. San J has hog-wire blinds covered in palm fronds and Wister has blinds carved out of the bushes by the hunters. I'm nowhere close to being a veteran but I have learned some good spots at San J over the last few years and would be happy to help if you drew at San J.

Would appreciate a gear list!

I have most of these, what considerations to you keep in mind for the waterfowl specific gear like the blind bag and stool?

I don't use a blind bag...I use a water sealed plastic bucket...Flash light (head light), extra batteries, duck strap, shell belt (only 25), snacks, water, calls, small towel, gloves, and bug spray.

San Jacinto W.A. is much different in a few aspects...Tom Trapes (Mgr) will help you pick a blind, will advise on the habitat, how far the walk is, and most any other thing you need to know....Wister, you're pretty much on your own....I suggest taking a drive out to Wister to start...There's a work party Oct 2nd.

ps...If you have to crap...Walk back to a crapper.

pss...Older maps, but gives you an idea of area.

.San Jacinto.jpgWister.jpg

Instead of a stool, get a small chair because it has a back. A backpack works for my blind bag, I bring a grocery bag to set under it if the ground is wet, and a grocery bag to put over it if theres going to be rain. One thing about Wister is there aren’t any island blinds as far as I know. At San J there are some island blinds that you will have to wade out to.

I don't use a blind bag...I use a water sealed plastic bucket...Flash light (head light), extra batteries, duck strap, shell belt (only 25), snacks, water, calls, small towel, gloves, and bug spray.

San Jacinto W.A. is much different in a few aspects...Tom Trapes (Mgr) will help you pick a blind, will advise on the habitat, how far the walk is, and most any other thing you need to know....Wister, you're pretty much on your own....I suggest taking a drive out to Wister to start...There's a work party Oct 2nd.

ps...If you have to crap...Walk back to a crapper.

pss...Older maps, but gives you an idea of area.

.View attachment 50815View attachment 50816
In the handful of times I’ve been to Wister it hasn’t been hard to navigate. Are there areas of Wister that are harder to navigate that I just haven’t been to?

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu