Bergara Omni Brake

CLarson757

Dec 29, 2019
Anyone shoot a Bergara with the Omni brake installed? If so, how bad did it kick up dust?

Shoot? or kill with it? I have an associate that has one..he,s a killer ..not sure if he shoots paper with it..but he like it! It works!

If it has ports on the bottom like that it will kick up dust. IMO radial brakes like that are more for show than anything. They are less effective and blow up dust. I would recommend a side port brake

Reactions: NBK
If it’s real bad I was thinking of just going thread protector. It’s 6.5 so the recoil isn’t much of a consideration anyway.

If it’s real bad I was thinking of just going thread protector. It’s 6.5 so the recoil isn’t much of a consideration anyway.
Since you already have it, try it and see if you like it. Some hate them but they are still the most popular brake you see on hunting rifles. If you were shooting a big magnum I think the decision would be more "critical."

Reactions: CLarson757
Rifle should be here in the coming week or so. Just curious what the field thinks. If it’s terrible I’ll go thread protector or a different brake.

Reactions: 180ls1
@punkur67 spelled it out. Radial brakes are inefficient and messy on the ground. Baffles work better by a long stretch. With the 6.5 and a baffle, you will be able to see the bullet strike.

Reactions: punkur67
@punkur67 spelled it out. Radial brakes are inefficient and messy on the ground. Baffles work better by a long stretch. With the 6.5 and a baffle, you will be able to see the bullet strike.
How do you figure? If it has a brake its gonna kick up dust just throw a towel down if you practicing off a bipod, When hunting you wont notice the dust since a lot of time you're not laying in the dirt. The holes of my radial brakes actually go a couple degrees forward this helps with the traditional ear shattering bite of brakes in general. I feel the directional brakes are good but man they hurt if you not the shooter they will downright make your filling hurt if your next to them. They still kick up dust definitely not as much as radials but they still do.

The reason the baffles are louder is because they are directional as well as much more efficient.

In the field, the last thing you want is a dust cloud after your shot. And the good brakes have very little ground disruption.

I hate muzzle brakes...first thing I do is look at all the stuff a guy has on his rifle..when I note the muzzle brake he has on his 6.5 creed (bamboozled a 6.5 would even be a candidate for a brake)..I sit back...way back..now..the guy that pulls out the 338 Rum fluted barrel...ported... for a 100lb so cal deer...he may be using my rifle..maybe...**addendum..my take is solely on mammal murders...I have Zero experience in shooting from a bench**

• Haha
Reactions: JakeSCH
Still have severe tinitus in my left ear from the young and dumb hatchet days...took a long time to figure out that I needed to sit back ..not to the side of the shooter while he attempted to harvest said mammal... regret #1..

Ahhh the 6.5, she’s kills everything. No break take the kick like a savage. Enjoy the ride and hammer the shoulder

Reactions: ilovesprig
now..the guy that pulls out the 338 Rum fluted barrel...ported... for a 100lb so cal deer...he may be using my rifle..maybe...

It feels like you are pointing a finger at me...except my barrel is carbon fiber :p.

I still have not shot a local deer with my 338 RUM. I think I need to push that 210 gr hammer 3400 fps to get one.

Happens every year . Poor deer gets cut in half .. Gross. ** Those so ca deer are fast!!*

Last edited:

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu