Big Gobbler down on Public Land

ppbets

Nov 12, 2012
I arrive like other days at 5:45 on one of my best spots , the rain make they dont want to gobble early in the morning so I keep quiet almost 2 hours , then on my right I saw another 2 hunters with a big turkey strut and both behind the decoy like youtube videos , some hens saw the hunters before they see the gobbler so they flight over the trees all around me 8 hens and 2 gobblers, the gobblers fly 7 or 800 yds , hens just 100 yds away the hunters, them they come straight to my decoy and they want shoot my jake, so I stand up and the look me and move to other place , I wait 1 hour more anc call with box and 3 gobbler answer, 30 min later I call and not answer , so i wait another 45 min and call again this time with glass slate and have a gobble at 70 yds on my left, put call down and take gun less than 1 min the big gobbler come fight my decoy, turkey down at 15 yds,
my best turkey ever in public land in San Diego.
8.2 inch beard
1.250 spurrs both.
21.3 lbIMG_2239[1].JPGIMG_2235[1].JPGIMG_2219[1].JPGIMG_2220[1].JPG

Man that’s one hell of a public land bird! Very good job! Especially with all the traffic around you.

Reactions: DirtHunter
Good job out there!. I can’t believe some idiots in the things that they see on Facebook. What a nonchalant of boobs, good thing you didn’t get shot.

Good job out there!. I can’t believe some idiots in the things that they see on Facebook. What a nonchalant of boobs, good thing you didn’t get shot.
When I se the decoy on full strut I sight with my shootgun , in that moment I see 2 caps so I dont squezze the trigger, crazy people .

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu