Big Tom Gobbler down on Public Land

ppbets

Nov 12, 2012
IMG_9641.JPG IMG_9643.JPG IMG_9641.JPG So thursday morning go into one of my favourite spots , where I know was some nice gobblers around, I was in the place at 5 so I start with the 3 soft yelp 3 diferent gobblers answer 300 yds away, then another hunter call 60 yards in front of me , damn he was in my fire line , so I decide to move 300 yds to the right , 20 min later I listen some coyotes around , gobblers quiet all morning , so the hunter that was on my right leave the place at 9 am Im keep there 40 min more with no luck.

So at
9:40 I move to another spot to hunt midday turkeys , I make set up in 5 min and was little windy so I start with high 7 yelps let 5 seconds and call 5 yelp again 5 seconds and 4 yelp again 5 min later I have gobblin 1000 yds away, wait 40 min and call again with the box and he gobbles at 600 yds , 25 min later I call again and he answer at 400 yds 10 seconds later another gobbler respond at 200 yds on my right he comes on silent so I keep quiet and 2 min later he gobbles 2 times on his own so i call 3 min later and he answer at 100 yds , so I stop calling and he comes strutting when he sawe my set up. he pass the fence into the public land, but I was on a ridge so I cant shoot well so turkey pass at 5 yds from me he was on my back at 3 yds he start spitting and drumming for 10 min ho god. then he moves to my left and keep at 28 yds from me and 20 yds from my set up so I move my head slow to the left and I wait to him , so when he move his head to eat I move my gun on his head and Booommmm hes down ooooo god.

My new beretta A350 turkey edition with the Eotech 512 and 5,6,7 blend shoot do the rest. heres the pics
my best turkey in San Diego on public land Im going to send it to taxidermist.

17 lb
spurs less than 1 inch
9.6 inch beard.

.IMG_9620.JPG IMG_9622.JPG IMG_9624.JPG IMG_9639.JPG IMG_9643.JPG tIMG_9646.JPG IMG_9646.JPG IMG_9652.JPG IMG_9634.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
That's awesome man! Congrats on ur big bird! I just got my hunting license for the first time and I'm from San Diego. I don' know anyone who hunts in the area or where I should scout/hunt. I missed the turkey draw this year for the spring hunt. If I didn't get a tag will I be able to hunt fall turkeys? Also I did get a wild pig tag but not sure where I should even go scout. If you or anyone has any suggestions or and answer to my turkey question I'd appreciate it!

You can hunt fall turkeys simply with a Upland Game Bird Stamp.....You will need this same stamp to hunt doves, quail, chukar, or pheasant.

Since you're from San Diego. You may want to attend a NWTF meeting.....They are held the 4th Tuesday of every month at the Poway Filippi's Pizzeria.....Meeting starts at 6:30 pm.....Although most of us show up at 5:30 pm to have dinner and talk local hunting.

No costs involved, but we do encourage you to join the National Wild Turkey Assoc.

You can hunt fall turkeys simply with a Upland Game Bird Stamp.....You will need this same stamp to hunt doves, quail, chukar, or pheasant.

Since you're from San Diego. You may want to attend a NWTF meeting.....They are held the 4th Tuesday of every month at the Poway Filippi's Pizzeria.....Meeting starts at 6:30 pm.....Although most of us show up at 5:30 pm to have dinner and talk local hunting.

No costs involved, but we do encourage you to join the National Wild Turkey Assoc.

Man I thought you had to get tags but I did purchase my upland game bird stamp when buying my hunting license. So now I will be counting down the days for fall season!! I did hear about the NWTF and saw that we had a local chapter and have been wanting to join. Maybe I can make it out to the next meeting. Who doesn't love Filippi's pizza!! Haha I really appreciate the info man!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu