Bird shot

KoozeDeer

Jul 18, 2016
Howdy fellas, so I used to shoot a lot of birds before the lead ban, I shot 7 1/2 most of the time. However I really haven’t hunted in the last few years. What’s everyone using for bird shot? Particularly with these Eurasians that are the size of small chickens?

@Chris240 I found #7 steel adequate for dove, but not quite the knock-down power on 7.5 lead we used to use. I'd use #6 for Eurasians.

Reactions: NBK
I agree, The steel needs to be shot at a faster fps to have the same knock down that the lead had!
I always shot #7 lead 1 1/8 1280 Modified choke and the birds were dead
Now I shoot #6 steel 1 1/8 1400 IC choke and that does the trick!
Works great on Doves, Euros,Quail and Pheasant

I use 7s in fast steel for morning and white wing. For all other upland, I’ve had good success with Hevi-shot products. Dad and I along with friends found we were getting too many crippled quail with straight steel. Hevi fixed that and results seem close to lead.

Reactions: MJB and Smokey58
I’m kind of struggling with this question. I’m so use to lead it’s tough transitioning to steel for upland birds. It’s going to be a trial and error learning experience. For dove I use to use lead #7 1/2 and #8’s. With steel probably 6’s and 7’s. Pheasants I used 6 lead. Now I’ll try 4 Steel. I accidentally bought a box of 6 steel so I’ll give that a try on pheasant too. Quail I used 7 1/2 lead. I’ll probably try 7 and 6 steel.
For ducks I use mostly #2 and #3 steel, have shot a lot of ducks over the years so I know what I can do and my limitations with 2 and 3 steel. I could see using #3 steel for pheasants. I think we are going to have to learn our limitations with steel to avoid cripples. I think there’ll be a lot more crips until hunters get use to steel.

I’m kind of struggling with this question. I’m so use to lead it’s tough transitioning to steel for upland birds. It’s going to be a trial and error learning experience. For dove I use to use lead #7 1/2 and #8’s. With steel probably 6’s and 7’s. Pheasants I used 6 lead. Now I’ll try 4 Steel. I accidentally bought a box of 6 steel so I’ll give that a try on pheasant too. Quail I used 7 1/2 lead. I’ll probably try 7 and 6 steel.
For ducks I use mostly #2 and #3 steel, have shot a lot of ducks over the years so I know what I can do and my limitations with 2 and 3 steel. I could see using #3 steel for pheasants. I think we are going to have to learn our limitations with steel to avoid cripples. I think there’ll be a lot more crips until hunters get use to steel.
@WaterDog picking up #6 steel was a good find. Perfect for Euros! As previously mentioned #7 steel for dove works. I wish I hadn't gone so crazy stocking up last year on steel shot, I only bought #7's.....

Reactions: WaterDog
I am going to try 7s this year out of my 20ga..Last year I shot 6 and knock them dead but I missed a bunch of them, I hope more pellets with a little higher velocity can get me a couple of more birds this year.

Since I have to use steel shot I'm happy with 6 shot as a first choice for dove and quail with #7's as a second. If I do my part they both will work.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu