Block your stank!

Hunt2live

Oct 6, 2018
So I’m new to hunting. I live in Socal. I been thinking about what other people may do to block their scent from game. How serious are hunters about it? Do you even use deodorant? Laundry detergents? Or do you always try to have the wind in your favor.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Hi Hunt2live
This is a question that can be asked of 10 different hunters. And half say yes scent removal works the other half will say it's not necessary.
But these are my thoughts.
It depends on many factors.
How close of stalk is required or if
It will be 300 yard shot.
The higher up a mountain you are or up on a deer stand and having the wind either cross wind or in your face less important it becomes.

Where in my opinion it works is close proximity to deer, bowhunt, muzzle loader. Eg,
And in my opinion it works. I have used it and deer were oblivious to my presence. A deer can smell you a long distance. I have read up to 1/2 mile or More. So yes it works.
The deal is, normal laundry soap is loaded with Phosphoric element.
To a deer vision, hunters clothes will glow like a light bulb.
I wash my hunting clothes in baking soda. To kill my scent. And absolutely no laundry soap.
Absolutely no scented soap for the shower.
Ok now I am going to back pedal a bit.
I hunted many years with blue jeans, flannel clothing. No scent protection.
How ever I was up high, well concealed, and very little movement.
And I scored deer.
It has to do on how a hunter is Hunting. Spot and Stalk requires a bit of hiking. And it's tough not to sweat. But that's exactly what you don't want. If you're are sweating.
A hunter is walking way to fast.
Best
LB

Just a tid bit from the past.
Native Americans before a big hunt.
Would not eat meat for a week or longer. And would hit the sweat lodge and remove the poisen and stink of man.. they wore animal skins to cover their outline.
They were usually successful.
On the big hunt.
They had to get within 30 yards or less. Amazing.

I pick up a lil' bit of deer droppings and put them in my cargo pant pocket. I also step on donkey poop if it's around. All that but I still use the wind if it's around.

Hi Hunt2live
This is a question that can be asked of 10 different hunters. And half say yes scent removal works the other half will say it's not necessary.
But these are my thoughts.
It depends on many factors.
How close of stalk is required or if
It will be 300 yard shot.
The higher up a mountain you are or up on a deer stand and having the wind either cross wind or in your face less important it becomes.

Where in my opinion it works is close proximity to deer, bowhunt, muzzle loader. Eg,
And in my opinion it works. I have used it and deer were oblivious to my presence. A deer can smell you a long distance. I have read up to 1/2 mile or More. So yes it works.
The deal is, normal laundry soap is loaded with Phosphoric element.
To a deer vision, hunters clothes will glow like a light bulb.
I wash my hunting clothes in baking soda. To kill my scent. And absolutely no laundry soap.
Absolutely no scented soap for the shower.
Ok now I am going to back pedal a bit.
I hunted many years with blue jeans, flannel clothing. No scent protection.
How ever I was up high, well concealed, and very little movement.
And I scored deer.
It has to do on how a hunter is Hunting. Spot and Stalk requires a bit of hiking. And it's tough not to sweat. But that's exactly what you don't want. If you're are sweating.
A hunter is walking way to fast.
Best
LB
Interesting. The baking soda is a great tip. Wouldn’t have thought of that. Thank you.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Wind.

There is not a scent technology in the world that could kill the smell of one of my farts.

Do you expect that scent elimination crap to work when the wind is at your back!? Haha, yeah right. See my first comment about farts.

So when would you expect the scent elimination to work for you? When the wind is in your face? Then what's the point?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Keep the wind in your face and you can touch a deer if its other senses don't detect you first. If you are in a tree stand, blind... and cannot control the wind 100%, all the other scent control gimmicks might help some. I was a police canine handler for 8 years, there's no way you're gonna fool a deers nose. Ed F

Keep the wind in your face and you can touch a deer if its other senses don't detect you first. If you are in a tree stand, blind... and cannot control the wind 100%, all the other scent control gimmicks might help some. I was a police canine handler for 8 years, there's no way you're gonna fool a deers nose. Ed F
Thanks! Yeah makes sense.

Wind.

There is not a scent technology in the world that could kill the smell of one of my farts.

Do you expect that scent elimination crap to work when the wind is at your back!? Haha, yeah right. See my first comment about farts.

So when would you expect the scent elimination to work for you? When the wind is in your face? Then what's the point?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
♂️

Where I hunt the wind can change. It will swirl up Canyons an ravines. Sometimes it's impossible to keep the wind in your face. Hope for a cross wind a best. Sometimes the wind will change direction 10 times.
The visibility is generally not more than 200 yards if that. Big pine, black oak, steep terrain. Point is it cannot hurt. I seen deer 30 - 60 yards with wind change. Mainly bow hunting.
Yes I think scent control works.
And to each their own.
Most hard core bow hunters use it.
Just don't sweat and stink to high heaven. Farts don't help LOL
Especially from beans.
You decide.
LB

Where I hunt the wind can change. It will swirl up Canyons an ravines. Sometimes it's impossible to keep the wind in your face. Hope for a cross wind a best. Sometimes the wind will change direction 10 times.
The visibility is generally not more than 200 yards if that. Big pine, black oak, steep terrain. Point is it cannot hurt. I seen deer 30 - 60 yards with wind change. Mainly bow hunting.
Yes I think scent control works.
And to each their own.
Most hard core bow hunters use it.
Just don't sweat and stink to high heaven. Farts don't help LOL
Especially from beans.
You decide.
LB
Yeah. I guess it wouldn’t hurt to use it. I mean. If it works it works and if it doesn’t it can’t be any worse than not using it. Lol except if crop dusting the area.

A deers nose is much different than yours... they can differentiate between multiple scents at one time. Your nose smells whatever is strongest. A deer can detect human odor and all other odors associated with humans (baking soda). Sweating has little factor as to how much scent you are dispersing. Millions of skin cells that are falling off you is the biggest factor. I don't wash my hunting clothes with anything but I'm not ignorant to the fact they are picking up odors from the 100's of washes previous... If the wind is swirling, I wait til the deer is in a better spot. If you think you fooled a deers nose... there's other factors that you are not aware of that kept the deer from winding you. I'm no scent scientist... but handling that dog and hunting humans taught me a lot. Keep the wind in your face.... Ed F

A deers nose is much different than yours... they can differentiate between multiple scents at one time. Your nose smells whatever is strongest. A deer can detect human odor and all other odors associated with humans (baking soda). Sweating has little factor as to how much scent you are dispersing. Millions of skin cells that are falling off you is the biggest factor. I don't wash my hunting clothes with anything but I'm not ignorant to the fact they are picking up odors from the 100's of washes previous... If the wind is swirling, I wait til the deer is in a better spot. If you think you fooled a deers nose... there's other factors that you are not aware of that kept the deer from winding you. I'm no scent scientist... but handling that dog and hunting humans taught me a lot. Keep the wind in your face.... Ed F
Ed
I totally agree with you statement.
What I should have done is dug up scientific data. When there is disagreements when it he said she said. It's really pissing contest.
It's a very complicated and not simple as some people think.
Here is a link of a scientific study.
Why it works. But they call it scent control not scent elimination.

https://bigdeerblog.com/?p=1659

This has been a hotly debated subject. But trying to discredit
Ones own experience is not cool.
We can agree or disagree. Then move on.
Read the article that backs up my
Post. However you can find many blogs that counter it.
LB

Reactions: Dawnandusk
Ok about my second post about the native Americans. They had to live off the land. And we're not week end warrior. This story was a tatic they used hundred of years. It was passed down from generation to generation.
Point is the native Americans under stood that they had more successful hunt by following that.
Did follow that every time probably not.
LB

Reactions: Dawnandusk

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu