Bogus ticket?

MJB

Nov 20, 2012
San Diego
So two guys head to BLM land after hunting deer that morning to sight in a new rifle for the evening hunt. They left their packs in the truck and walked 200yds to the back stop to shoot. They get there and
Mr young green jeans Tyler drives up and ask for tags one has it on him the other it's in the truck.
Tyler calls his boss and he comes back with you get a ticket your license is not on you.

I thought the law said readily available?

I told my buddy to fight it

My understanding is, your license has to be on your person while hunting or in an act that can be interpreted as hunting. Which would be a judgment call by warden. I don't really understand why if they were just sighting in he would get ticket.

Snake Charmer I hope your optimism is correct ! We will see ! But I highly doubt there will be a walk ! I'll bet on half the normal fine if he spends the time to appear in court !

Hmmmm....There has to be more to the story....He does NOT need a hunting license to shoot on BLM and he can hunt without a deer tag (coyotes are legal)....Unfortunately, it will take 2 trips to court....Hope, he has the time to explain what it was doing.

I have said this before, I am not a fan of Cal. game wardens. I think there are all a bunch of Dudley do rights. Never even came close to a citation but every encounter has been a bad experiences. One of the many reasons I will not hunt in cal. Have I ever mentioned I hate Cal. :innocent:

I have said this before, I am not a fan of Cal. game wardens. I think there are all a bunch of Dudley do rights. Never even came close to a citation but every encounter has been a bad experiences. One of the many reasons I will not hunt in cal. Have I ever mentioned I hate Cal. :innocent:

John,

People that know me, know that I've had some "differences of opinion" with some of our local wardens over the years...I also know, you can't lump all wardens in with the not so good ones...We have some that are very good locally and in the IV.

I've said this many times....There's LETTER OF THE LAW and there's SPIRIT OF THE LAW...The good wardens know the difference...Sometimes it only takes time to learn the difference...Sometimes, they never learn or never want too....Lots of different personalities in this line of work, just like any other.

Last edited:
I've never received a ticket from a F&G warden. I always try to do the right thing and abide by the law. I have been checked in the past. I've had false accusations made about me. I've had the feds search my whole truck with a dog at Kern. Used to get searched every hunt day at Kern in the dark from a warden in his kayak waiting for me to get close to him while I paddled out. I've had wardens flair birds working my decoys as they walk up the dike to check me. Some treated me with respect and others not so much. I tend to remember the others so that leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I do respect their job and it is greatly needed but when I hear these stories I get annoyed and lose respect for the green jeans.

Tyler called his super and the super told him to write a ticket. I know the super he was talking to and he's an ass when it comes to spirt vs letter of the law.

My buddy will fight it he just doesn't know if he wants to keep rescheduling court dates to mess with them or just go to court and fight it. I also told him to file a complaint with the state over this harassment by a LEO........this was done with our old buddy ***** and finally helped to get him out.......with lots of help from ***** breaking laws left and right.

My buddy did get upset and started raising his voice while walking back to the truck, as Tyler drove directly behind them. (Not cool in my book just drive to the truck and wait there dumbass!) Tyler was visible shaking and he wanted back up but the super said your on your own.......lol.

The law changed to readily available a few years back, mainly so fisherman didn't have to wear the tag on the back of their shirts and it could stay in the tackle box due to it being so susceptible to heat/light or scratches.

Lesson learned by my buddy again....
1. always have the regs with you to enlighten the wardens
2. turn your video on asap so you can catch the BS, Tyler when first approaching them said, "I got ya.....all you sneak one's come hear"

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Smokey58
Yea spear fishermen only ones that get any yardage, can be 500 yards from their license on a boat or beach, they also confiscate the gear so you don’t start fishing again after they leave.

Are we sure he was sighting in his rifle in an area where that is allowed? Right now there is no target shooting in SD county. There is always 2 sides to a story just saying.
Also not siding with the warden just curious and trying to better understand. Sometimes conclusions are reached without all of the information. Like maybe he gave him the lesser of the two tickets?

Are we sure he was sighting in his rifle in an area where that is allowed? Right now there is no target shooting in SD county. There is always 2 sides to a story just saying.
Also not siding with the warden just curious and trying to better understand. Sometimes conclusions are reached without all of the information. Like maybe he gave him the lesser of the two tickets?

I was wondering the same thing.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu