Bought first hunting binoculars

I decided to make my first investment in the hobby and bought Swarovski binoculars. I don't even have a rifle or bow yet : unamused:

View attachment 39224
View attachment 39225

Good for you. You made what is a hard decision for many people. For me, my glass is the most important piece of equipment for finding big game animals. I tell new guys that I hunt with my glass. Yeah, you need a weapon to make the kill. But the hunting is done with your glass. I’ve never regretted my purchases of alpha glass. You’re far better off with those binoculars and a cheap rifle than the opposite.

Nice! Seriously consider looking into the Outdoorsmans Bino Adapter for quick mounting onto a tripod. It's a pretty slick system.

Reactions: Dawnandusk and Zak
Good for you. You made what is a hard decision for many people. For me, my glass is the most important piece of equipment for finding big game animals. I tell new guys that I hunt with my glass. Yeah, you need a weapon to make the kill. But the hunting is done with your glass. I’ve never regretted my purchases of alpha glass. You’re far better off with those binoculars and a cheap rifle than the opposite.
Thanks, I knew I was on to something when every website, forum, and old SCH post was unanimous that quality binoculars were absolutely essential. I referenced my copy of Steve Rinella's Guide to Small Game Hunting to see what he said about binoculars, and he wrote that if he had to pick between going out without pants or without binoculars he'd have a hard time deciding. Hopefully it'll be the only pair I'll ever need to buy.

Reactions: Dawnandusk
Nice! Seriously consider looking into the Outdoorsmans Bino Adapter for quick mounting onto a tripod. It's a pretty slick system.
I like the looks of it, I will likely get it eventually. I think I also need some kind of case for it. I'm hesitant to spend more right now for obvious reasons, but I want to protect my investment.

Reactions: Dawnandusk
I like the looks of it, I will likely get it eventually. I think I also need some kind of case for it. I'm hesitant to spend more right now for obvious reasons, but I want to protect my investment.
Get a bino harness for your chest. They won’t do you any good in your backpack.

Reactions: JakeSCH and Zak
Yeah just a simple bino harness is all you need. And time hiking with em so your shoulders and neck get used to it.

But do bring like 1 or 2 wiper cloths with ya though. Especially if it's a little rainy. Or very windy and thus exceptionally dusty.

Reactions: Zak
Bino harness with out the case attachment.
Tripod not needed for most of your glassing. I use my hiking stick or any stick and it works great, easy to move while you keep your eyes on the game or the hill side.

Zak,

I have 2 or 3 different harnesses and half the time I only use the bino strap that Swarovski comes with...While turkey hunting, the harnesses just don't work well with a turkey vest....Just tuck your Swarvo's inside you leafyflage or hoodie....;)

Look in Estate Sales, I found a few very good and sturdy tripods for very cheap. I can let you borrow one if you need it. The adaptor you can find it on amazon.

Congrats, very nice glass. You probably could have gotten by with a mid grade set like Vortex or Maven, but I think the buy once, cry once mindset makes a lot of sense especially when it comes to glass. You will never regret that purchase.

I agree with the Outdoorsman tripod adapter. I love mine. I use the Vortex Summit SS tripod for backpacking and love it as well.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu