Bow muscles (will be) ready

DanSanDiego

Venison for Thanksgiving 2016
Sep 18, 2014
Is everyone ready for Sept 1st?!!
Last year Dove season opened on a Friday followed by bow season on Saturday. But this year they both open on the same day. Definitely plan accordingly (I know a prime deer spot which is also a local favorite for Dove opener).
For the past two weeks I’ve been at the archery range or working the shoulder muscles each day. I may have overdone it! Major pain in the scapula muscles today.
Time to balance things out everyone. If you’ve been slacking you better get on it! If you’ve been over doing things then maybe take half off for a week. The Fall seasons start very soon!!!
Attached pics are from South Carolina. Wish I could get that close to a D16 buck during archery season.

.0446C963-D644-4D16-8AE1-B9FA53CA9860.jpeg20E034E5-B60E-4B52-AF26-B04C1C6DCA0F.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: longbowhunter2
Is everyone ready for Sept 1st?!!
Last year Dove season opened on a Friday followed by bow season on Saturday. But this year they both open on the same day. Definitely plan accordingly (I know a prime deer spot which is also a local favorite for Dove opener).
For the past two weeks I’ve been at the archery range or working the shoulder muscles each day. I may have overdone it! Major pain in the scapula muscles today.
Time to balance things out everyone. If you’ve been slacking you better get on it! If you’ve been over doing things then maybe take half off for a week. The Fall seasons start very soon!!!
Attached pics are from South Carolina. Wish I could get that close to a D16 buck during archery season.

Dan,
You should be good to go after a few days without shooting. I’ve been shooting almost every day for the past 6 months and incorporating both back and shoulder workouts to my excessive and I’m as ready as I’ll ever be. I’ve noticed that I shoot way better though when I haven’t shot the day or two prior. Grouping this morning at 40 and 50...

3AEAA8DB-A852-4A79-BF9E-7C7CF0FF527F.jpegE83A0F12-F422-495B-8934-91A741EA0390.jpeg

Nice groups! Finally got my new to me bow set up as I have upgraded from my bear whitetail II that I got as a kid to a bow tech that a friend of mine sold me for cheap. Won’t be able to hunt for a few weeks so I have time to practice practice practice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Goyaałé
Dan,
You should be good to go after a few days without shooting. I’ve been shooting almost every day for the past 6 months and incorporating both back and shoulder workouts to my excessive and I’m as ready as I’ll ever be. I’ve noticed that I shoot way better though when I haven’t shot the day or two prior. Grouping this morning at 40 and 50...

View attachment 35887View attachment 35888
Nice grouping The Deer Guy.
I did not get my target setups ready this year. To much on my plate with trying to get ready for retirement. Had got screwed by social security.
But in the near future I will be set up permanent targets like at balboa park. At different distance and elevations. Most of the problem I had when stalking was judging distance when there was not time to use the range finder. I am trying to go back to instinctive. Then rely on technology.

Reactions: The Deer Guy
Nice grouping The Deer Guy.
I did not get my target setups ready this year. To much on my plate with trying to get ready for retirement. Had got screwed by social security.
But in the near future I will be set up permanent targets like at balboa park. At different distance and elevations. Most of the problem I had when stalking was judging distance when there was not time to use the range finder. I am trying to go back to instinctive. Then rely on technology.

Longbowhunter2,
My range consists of a 60yd lane 12’ wide in and avocado grove. I have a deer target, a Rinehart 18 in 1 and a bag. I have stakes set at 20-60 yds. That being said I like to approach from different parts of the grove to practice angled shots and estimating yardage. I also like to keep my rangefinder on a retractable tether that is clipped on to my bino harness. With that set up I can quickly range my target and draw back. For the tether I use a T-Reign retractable gear tether size Large.

Took some time off because I went back to work full time. I've been shooting odd ball yardage. 32yds 47yads 65yds so on and so forth. Getting my mojo back. I'm pretty solid at the 10s. (20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70yds I'm shooting 5-6in groups.) Shooting 4in groups at odd ball yards. Still a kill shot though. I won't be taking any heart shots at odd ball yards. Going for center mass double lung shots at those yards, but anything with a pin will be a heart shot. I wish you all the best of luck.

Nice shooting and grouping Goyaale . And that is good practice the deer guy . The issue I had last year was my range finder was malfunctioning in the cold, snowy weather. It would not range. And I had this discussion on this board about it and that seems to be an issue with other range finders.
Not sure if the higher end models have the same issue.
I really like to hunt in cold snowy weather.
Any way my budget does not permit better equipment and I need to make other adjustments. Or improvise.
What you said The deer guy about taking angle shots is a great idea.
Goyaale those long shots will pay off. When stalking it was tough getting within my range. Which is forty yards. I would be better staying with ground or deer stand. Seems you are natural at bowmen ship.
Best
Longbow

Reactions: Goyaałé
@longbowhunter2 I'm trying to be as best as I can be. The 3 and a half weeks away from shooting shows. Been goingbto the range any chance I get. Bobmatter what happens this season. I feel like it was a successful season already. I put miles on my boots scouting. And my vehicle. Jajjajaja!! Scouted some good areas. Learned a lot doing so. Pushed myself to go that extra mile. Got in better shape than I was and plan to get into better shape yet. Bow hunting has completely changed my life.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu