Breakfast after Band Tails on Saturday

DanSanDiego

Venison for Thanksgiving 2016
Sep 18, 2014
If any SCH members are going to be near the Lake Henshaw resort on Saturday around 10am we could grab breakfast. I think there will be a number of us in the area (maybe not as many as opening weekend of D16 but still a festive time of year).

Apple Junction is great!
Breakfast after Bandtails and then an Apple pie to go.

I’ve never hunted them but might give it a try up here in the north end of the CNF. Any tips? Are they early morning fliers? Oak tree habitat is where I’ve seen them.

I’ve never hunted them but might give it a try up here in the north end of the CNF. Any tips? Are they early morning fliers? Oak tree habitat is where I’ve seen them.

Kevin,

Fairly early, but not normally dark thirty.....Main food is acorns and pinon nuts.....Upper San Juan Campground on Ortega Hwy was one of my best spots in the old days.

Kevin,

Fairly early, but not normally dark thirty.....Main food is acorns and pinon nuts.....Upper San Juan Campground on Ortega Hwy was one of my best spots in the old days.
Thanks Steve. The campground area is off limits, so probably loaded with band tails lol.

Yes, the campground is, but the surrounding area is not.....Plus, that campground may be closed for the winter.
Upper San Juan campground is permanently closed. Has been for years. I parked at the closed gate once to explore the area for hunting and was immediately kicked out by forest guy. Looks like a good area for band tails.

Kevin,

It's been years since I've been there.....I see no reason that you can't hunt there, if it's closed.....It's all CNF.....I'd have the guy show me where it says I can't hunt.....Shot many a band-tail there in the 70's.

I’ll be hunting near by, but wasn’t planning on getting there until 8...so probably won’t make it to breakfast.

Very, very slow for us too. One shot, one bird for me.. the rest were high flying and not many around to say the least.
c5a04e5c3c540f50966bc738c72d950f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

At least you guys got out. Got trapped into a Christmas boutique this morning. Will look for a chance later on.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu