budget optics

Bronkorob

Dec 24, 2018
Im no optics expert, or know that Ive ever even held what some would call high end glass before. Im in the market for a spotting scope though. I do have a budget, and the saying seems to be it worth spending the money on good optics. got me thinking of a few directions I can go here.

I dont know how much glass manufacturing has come in the last 20-40 years or what kind of new technology, if any, revolutionized bino/scopes in that time frame. Ive used a few older pretty nice scopes before and they seemed very clear and well made.

say you got 200 bucks to spend. Is a used older high end spotting scope on par/better/worse than a brand new brand xxx $200 spotting scope?

Would anyone say that the cheaper Chinese/generic brand optics of today meet the "high end" standards of years ago? Or has lens making come that far along where todays ebay/knock off brands exceed what used to be the best glass out there?

Also check out pawn shops,
Garage sales.
Read the post under big game hunting. Get familiar with the optics
Most recommend. Names like
Leopold, vortex,
You might get a lucky and find
A $600 scope for $100.
It's worth aTry.

Reactions: Goyaałé
Ask to try anything used first.
Make sure it looks clear.
I started with Bushnell. Little cheaper. But try it all. Go to shops
Let you try it first.
Look at expensive stuff just to compare. Don't buy on impulse.

Budget and optics don’t go in the same sentence. Do you already have a decent pair of binoculars? Why are you looking for a spotting scope? If you are looking for something to find game I suggest nockers first if you have nockers then get a tripod.

Do not buy a 200 dollar spotter. (Such as a Redfield) I made that mistake. A 10x HD Monocular I had looked better. I ended up buying a Razor Spotter 11-33x50mm. And it's pretty cool. But recently I bought the Vortex Vulture HD 15x56's and I consider it a much better buy. Seriously consider getting the opportunity to look thru somebodies quality 15's thru a Tripod first before you decide to go for a spotter.

My $.02

Get the best you can afford. If you want to see where you hit target at the range, get splatter targets.

my local bow shop has some Hawk spotting scopes for 169 i believe and ive look through them they i can see them compare to the vortex diamondback. as far as warranty goes you can beat vortex. like with most things in this hobby. you get what you pay for and thats true with glass.

Reactions: Dawnandusk
Do not buy a $200 spotting scope for hunting.. maybe for short shots on the range. Absolutely not for hunting. My 15x vultures have served me way better than a $800 spotting scope that I had bought and then sold within a year. Depending on the country you’re hunting, I would strongly suggest going with good 8-10x’s. I have 10s on my chest and 15x vultures on a tripod. I freaking love this set up. Diamondbacks are good, I would save for a pair of used vortex vipers or used talons hd’s. Or any other company around that same price range.

Why not? Maybe folks cant afford the high end stuff? Plenty of crap gets dead with the lower end stuff
.i actually practice alot on large mammals ,certain times of year..its every day..many a folk have shown up with the optics mentioned and do just fine with it..so..thats why.

So right now... on this PUBLIC visible post... you're trying to say... before the whole world... that YOU... would go ON RECORD as recommending to someone to buy a Barska or Tasco. Am I reading that right?

Why not? If folks are not as fortunate as you appear to be? They work fine for the money...i still have mine from 86" going strong..one of the boys uses them...and hezs a well documented killer! Not concerned with the worl wide internet..just with results.. they ok in my book!

Reactions: SurfNHuntSD

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu