Buying Ammo when buying firearm?

TrapLine

Feb 21, 2019
Rancho Santa Margarita, CA
I have not had to purchase any new ammo since the new law took effect but just purchased a new rifle, if I buy ammo for it the same time I pick it up are there additional paper work hoops I have to jump through? Don't have the new Real ID yet and address matches all registered firearms. ‍♂️

You need two forms of ID if you don’t have a real ID. I use my license and my passport card. Not that hard of a process. Much easier than buying a gun.

Didn’t renew my passport since I changed jobs and don’t get to travel the world anymore. When I purchased a pistol I just needed a license and electric bill with matching address, wonder if that works also.

You can also bring in your DMV car registration as a 2nd proof of ID

You can buy ammo for it when u pick it up without them having to run a background check again. It'll save you the buck.

Or at least, that's the way it was at Turner's when I picked up the pistol I bought for my boy for Christmas.

Last edited:
Yes, Gavin (I control your life) Newsom passed into law. You will need to have forms of ID outlined in the previous thread and additional paperwork will be done for ammo. Next law to be passed they will need DNA... I will bring a stool sample for them... LMAO

For me I go to big 5 since I purchased a rifle there 2 years ago. I don’t have the “new” ID and they are okay with it, I just pay the $1.00 fee , quick background check and buy whatever ammo I need. 10 minutes tops.

Reactions: Dawnandusk
If you have the old CDL you are fine as long as you have a firearm registered to your current home address that matches your CDL. If you have "Federal Limits Apply" in the top right corner of your CDL then you need to provide a passport or birth certificate with your license. If you purchase ammo the same time you pick up a new weapon , no additional background is done but the ammo still gets DROSed and no additional $!

Reactions: TrapLine
when it's easier to buy ammo in mexico then the usa, something is wrong :(

Reactions: Muledeerhunter

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu