CA D16 / A22 Seasons - Scouting - OnX Maps ?

KennyQuacker

Jun 13, 2013
El Cajon, CA
My question is, has anyone found OnX Maps to be valuable for scouting & hunting in San Diego ?

After a long break, I decided to try SD deer hunting again, both archery and rifle. I'm going to try to hunt more north of 8 freeway from the Laguna's and further north. I'm going to start scouting shortly and purchased an updated Cleveland National Forest Map and have older Topo's.

Thanks for any opinions.

100%. Its vital.

I dropped mine and now use GoHunt and Basemap though. I already pay for GoHunt with the out of state draw odds stuff and Basemap is like $30 for all the western states so its a no brainer to keep as backup IMO.

I use OnX in every state that I hunt...Here in the "16", I find it invaluable and a game changer...I have never tried any other app... :blush:

Reactions: HATCHET1
I had a experience , A land owner was claiming that we were trespassing , My buddy had ONX . ONX was showing us a passage in between two property's , we didn't argue ,just said sorry and left . The gentleman said , what ever we were looking at was incorrect and we should go . So how close can ONX get you to a property line , do you guys think it could find the location of each corner . My other ?? is how will it stand up in the courts , if perhaps the issue came along . Let hear your thoughts guys

Reactions: HATCHET1
as long as you are not corner hoping ONX was right and you are in the clear. Whenever I am doing something in the gray area like skirting a property I use the tracker tool. You will not end up in court in my experience you just show the warden and move on. A lot of land owners don't know their property boundaries and they claim more than they own.

as long as you are not corner hoping ONX was right and you are in the clear. Whenever I am doing something in the gray area like skirting a property I use the tracker tool. You will not end up in court in my experience you just show the warden and move on. A lot of land owners don't know their property boundaries and they claim more than they own.
Yeah, OnX is not 100% right either but it's "right enough" for the wardens to use for whatever that is worth. I leave myself a margin of safety. If you zoom all the way in on your spot you will find on occasion it's off by a dozen yards or so.

Gonna say on x is not always right...every year we run into somebody that has there phone out ( usually in a camo case..cause it helps. Lol..)hoping a fence that has a locked gate on it with a no trespassing sign ..most times ..the workers usually Handel it...on occasion..the sheriff does..not a warden..the sheriff has zero patience for trespassers..the offenders are always youngsters trying to hike in across miles of private ..to get to a few acres of land locked BLM..gotta read them gps things right..took me awhile to figure out how to download that app..I've since mounted an I pad to my dash...I never go anywhere with out it!! Now I just need a game finder that pin points the large mammals!!! I'm tired of driving...

OnX and a Warden made a landowner push his fence back about 40 yards in my zone. Landowner was trying to keep a active game trail all to himself.
How did you approach fixing/settling the whole deal? I was just out scouting the 16 this past weekend and ran into an area where a landowner clearly fenced in too much. "Verified" by both GoHunt and Basemap. Ideally, I would like to get something in writing or a phone call from someone official before crossing the fence though.

Last edited:
How did you approach fixing/settling the whole deal? I was just out scouting the 16 this past weekend and ran into an area where a landowner clearly fenced in too much. "Verified" by both GoHunt and Basemap. Ideally, I would like to get something in writing or a phone call from someone official before crossing the fence though.
We met with the warden at the location after a couple of weeks the fence was moved.

We met with the warden at the location after a couple of weeks the fence was moved.
Thanks!

Do you use mapping software like OnX? If you do is/was it accurate? This fence is off by about 200 yards at one point and I would really like to get to that point because its great for glassing.

Reactions: ilovesprig
Thanks!

Do you use mapping software like OnX? If you do is/was it accurate? This fence is off by about 200 yards at one point and I would really like to get to that point because its great for glassing.
Yes sir, OnX is my go to. I even have my dove spots saved on that ;) ... Very accurate for me so far.

Reactions: dhntr48 and 180ls1
Thanks!

Adam,

If you have an evening or day you want to go scouting, let me know...I'm doing a night deer count Friday night, any other time would be good.

ps...I know that OnX has been right on the money for me.

Reactions: 180ls1
Adam,

If you have an evening or day you want to go scouting, let me know...I'm doing a night deer count Friday night, any other time would be good.

ps...I know that OnX has been right on the money for me.

I'll reach out next week and we'll get something going.

Can't trust Onx 100%...last weekend I was in a sweet spot and on my way out on the other side there was a big sign....I felt awful.
Clearly Onx had is a public..clearly the sign on the other side of the property did not.

Reactions: 180ls1
Can't trust Onx 100%...last weekend I was in a sweet spot and on my way out on the other side there was a big sign....I felt awful.
Clearly Onx had is a public..clearly the sign on the other side of the property did not.

I hear you on that. The problem is when I see the fence off by several hundred yards at one point. I just left a voicemail with the local Department of Wildlife "area manager" (I forget the title) and hopefully, he can clear it up.

Quick Update - I purchased the multiple state OnX 1-yr multi-state deal on Father's Day, only $59 . My buddy in Idaho sent me a couple of Pins already, where we will be elk hunting during Archery elk season in September. Looks to be intuitive so far. I'll be going out scouting locally soon, and will give it a test drive. Thanks to all for the tips on it!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu