Caldor Fire

AMBUSH

Mar 2, 2021
Most of you guys are far away, but if you hunt D5, all the public land will be gone soon.

Many friends and Co workers evacuated. This could be a huge loss of property. Both my projects are evacuated.

Another example of letting a fire go for a few days and then there's not much you can do, and once again a failure by the forest service management.

They say the night air attach is coming. What's taken so long? And why hasen't this been used on the Dixie?

Punt Neusance!!1629339640611.png

Reactions: CAL'NDN
Lack of resources for one but major reason is lack of logging when forest get overgrown and we stop letting nature do what it is designed to do big fires happen. This is just the kindergarten version I assure you

Lack of resources for one but major reason is lack of logging when forest get overgrown and we stop letting nature do what it is designed to do big fires happen. This is just the kindergarten version I assure you
I totally agree. I hate the Forest Service Management.

But letting the forest service try to control a wildfire is asking for fires like these. We've seen way too many "forest service" fires burn large amounts of homes. When populations are at risk every resource needs to be deployed and frankly the FS doesn't have them. Bombers are the only hope.

I know nothing about this subject besides my 26 years working with the forest service fighting fires. Unless you have been out there on the line or trying to run operations with all the bs red tape of where dozers can go retardant can’t be dropped her etc you really have no idea of what is going on. And believe it or not forest service doesn’t just get to manage the land as they see fit it would blow your mind in how much leg work it takes to get a project approved to have it all shut down because a in danger something pops up

I don't want to dimish your lifelong efforts or speak bad of fire fighters. I always wanted to be one and I respect the boots on the ground, iron, and air.

Here is a quote of the FS statement of the tamarack fire before they pulled it. It burnt portions of Markleville, some of the surrounding communities, and all of X8. From a single tree to a total of 68,000 acres and counting. Total failure in management IMO.

"The Tamarack Fire on the Humboldt-Toiyabe National Forest was discovered on July 4. At the time, 23 other lightning fires were burning. It was a single tree burning in the Mokelumne Wilderness on a rocky ridgetop with sparse fuels and natural barriers to contain it. The steep, rugged, and remote terrain presented challenges to safely suppress this wilderness fire. With several higher priority fires in the area and due to the remote location, the sparse fuels and natural barriers, and the concern for firefighter safety, the decision was made to monitor the Tamarack Fire.

The Tamarack Fire was monitored daily via air and fire cameras and exhibited very little fire behavior until Friday, July 16 when fueled by extreme winds and low humidity, it progressed rapidly downslope and spread throughout the evening."

Reactions: CAL'NDN
I know nothing about this subject besides my 26 years working with the forest service fighting fires. Unless you have been out there on the line or trying to run operations with all the bs red tape of where dozers can go retardant can’t be dropped her etc you really have no idea of what is going on. And believe it or not forest service doesn’t just get to manage the land as they see fit it would blow your mind in how much leg work it takes to get a project approved to have it all shut down because a in danger something pops up
First of all thank you for your 26 years fighting forest fires. This is the main problem. Everyone's hands are tied on all fronts concerning forest management and wildfires. It's terrible and I am sorry that anyone, whether you are a fire fighter or anyone who has homes or intrest where these fires are that they would have to deal with any "red tape" or "regulation". It's terrible to know that there will never be a solution or way out of this ever here in California. Its F%#$@*!

Reactions: MJB and skeet
Truth be told tree hugger and greenie money controls forest management due to that the people with the knowledge have their hands tied with red tape lots and lots of read tape.

I'm just a little worried about this fire. It's northeast travel is putting it to close to South Lake Tahoe, my daughter, son in law and grand daughters. Sounds like the only thing that's going to knock this down is the weather. The kids aren't dumb, they will haul ass before they have a chance of getting caught.

• Sad
Reactions: ilovesprig
Truth be told tree hugger and greenie money controls forest management due to that the people with the knowledge have their hands tied with red tape lots and lots of read tape.
This is true and we see it first hand as this group is out in the field often. You will also see how much better other states manage their forest , take Utah as one example. In one mountain range in Utah , you will see people , sheep herders ( OMG they're grazing!) , Moose , Deer , Bear, various birds of prey ALL shareing the forest at the same time. However the vast majority of Californians will continue to drink the koolaid of global warming served up daily by politions and the mainstream media. So instead of managing a health forest , please drive an electric car and stay on the designated trails .

Good grief!

There is plenty of logging there. It just sucks. It's a patch work of clear cut/regrowth, select cutting, and than no cuts all stacked next to each other. The clear cuts and select cuts don't do much when no cuts are left in a checkboard to connect everything. And I think the south zone where it started was just a big zone of no cuts. Most the home owners are an embarassment when it comes to keep their property cleared. Most of them will bitch and moan that the FS isn't doing what they should be doing but they aren't any better.

Reactions: sportyg
I don't want to dimish your lifelong efforts or speak bad of fire fighters. I always wanted to be one and I respect the boots on the ground, iron, and air.

Here is a quote of the FS statement of the tamarack fire before they pulled it. It burnt portions of Markleville, some of the surrounding communities, and all of X8. From a single tree to a total of 68,000 acres and counting. Total failure in management IMO.

"The Tamarack Fire on the Humboldt-Toiyabe National Forest was discovered on July 4. At the time, 23 other lightning fires were burning. It was a single tree burning in the Mokelumne Wilderness on a rocky ridgetop with sparse fuels and natural barriers to contain it. The steep, rugged, and remote terrain presented challenges to safely suppress this wilderness fire. With several higher priority fires in the area and due to the remote location, the sparse fuels and natural barriers, and the concern for firefighter safety, the decision was made to monitor the Tamarack Fire.

The Tamarack Fire was monitored daily via air and fire cameras and exhibited very little fire behavior until Friday, July 16 when fueled by extreme winds and low humidity, it progressed rapidly downslope and spread throughout the evening."
The Tamarack fire is a complete baffoon move and I'd like to know who made that dececion and seem them resign of get fired. I know exactly where that fire started. Down slope of the PCT on the way to Raymond lake. It's not that hard or dangerous to of gotten there. A group of a dozen untrained monkeys with shovels probably could of delt with it in the first week.

Reactions: AMBUSH
This damn fire... I may go back up and run chainsaw duty in the basin just preparing. They are not ready enough if it were crest the Sierras.

This is my stomping ground born raised and hunt here all my life. They should jumped on this the first if not second day but it wasn't priority at 45 acres on second day and the terrain was to step! SMH ok. Only seen the sun a couple days since it started so far my hunting property that the family owns on the cosumnes is safe and my house is not in the path anymore at this time unless it turns and starts burning down hill again.

Sent from my SM-F916U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Papadeuce

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu