Camo Painting the .223

TheGDog

Nov 28, 2018
XX
I love the "Giraffe" patterns I'm able to get with this particular kind of netting!

Probably tomorrow do the Sponge-Dabbing to dither the lighter colors into the darker regions and darker colors into the lighter regions.

Oh yeah... it blends really well with Kryptek Nomad. Especially once I finish the Sponge Dabbing.

I first did this technique on my AirRifle, and I was really pleased with the results.

The key is this particular netting which you can get from the "Halloween Club" off the 5 Fwy, it's a little East of the Harbor Freight store near the Valley View exit.

Here's the comparison of the AirRifle to the Kryptek Nomad patterned gear I happen to to have. (It worked really well in the Mojave)

I will guess that the stock is synthetic. How well does the paint stick to the barrel and stock?
Can you share the process and kind of paint you use?
I have been thinking on doing this to a rifle but I am affaid that the paint will just peel off easy.
Thanks in advance

When you are done, you then spray it sealed with a Matte finish clearcoat. Very important it be Matte finish.

Most important thing is doing thorough job of masking everywhere you Don't want paint to go.

And just leave the tape on till you're all the way done.

Don't forget to cover your sawhorses with masking tape so surface resting on them doesn't paint stick and cause a line when you lift off after some dry time.

The paint is just Krylon Ultra-Flat camouflage paint. Pick the colors you need.

I do slanted stripes thru the netting stretched closely against the surface.

Then use pieces of sponge and tear out depressions on its surface to create high spots which you use to dab on the paint in the in-between spaces on the rifle.

In the darker colored regions you dab in lighter blots of color. In the lighter regions you dab in darker blots of color.

Spray the paint onto a surface like an aluminum foil baking tray. Dab your sponge onto a corner of the spray blotch until it start to begin getting a tacky consistency. You don't want the paint to be "wet" when you dab it onto the rifle. It'll go on too thick. Less is More. Take your time with the sponge dabbing.

Big thing is when done you don't want a discernible pattern you can see. If that makes sense.

Nicely done...And it didn't cost 200+

ps....One of the kids I take hunting did my old 16 gauge...2 rattle cans and some screening...Very little wear after 3 seasons.

.023.JPG

Reactions: sportyg and SDLIVIN
New camo pattern name:
Kryptek lizard skin

The pattern left by that netting actually looks a dang lot like the cracking I see on the bark on the oaks. Just scaled down a little bit though.
I think if the base coat was a dark dark grey, then you did this netting stuff.. followed by a light grey.... it'd look dang good for a pattern for sitting with your back up against an oak, such as Turkey. Then dab darker brown, and a lil bit of sand and green blotching into it, bet it'd looks dang close to the tree.

The cool thing is the netting pattern itself is random because it's elastic netting.

'dog,

They always die faster in the front half...…….;)

Whoo lawdy ain't that the Truth! I felt bad about that Rabbit couple weekends ago. It literally blew everything below the diaphragm out. And bless his heart the little guy wouldn't give up, kept soldiering on to get back to the brush with just his fronts. I felt bad about that one.

Whoo lawdy ain't that the Truth! I felt bad about that Rabbit couple weekends ago. It literally blew everything below the diaphragm out. And bless his heart the little guy wouldn't give up, kept soldiering on to get back to the brush with just his fronts. I felt bad about that one.

No different what any other predator can & will do.....We try to be humane, but the fact is, the wild is quite cruel.

Reactions: sportyg

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu