Camping in CNF

DanSanDiego

Venison for Thanksgiving 2016
Sep 18, 2014
Quick question: Does anyone do 'dispersed' camping in CNF? Any advice or recommendations (safety, etc)
I have read on the CNF website that camping is allowed. It says to let the local Ranger Station know where you will be camping (probably so they know this in case a fire breaks out or other safety situation) and that the total number of camping days cannot exceed 14 days in a year. (also, please let me know if I am off-base on this and if camping in CNF is not allowed)

I have been thinking of camping near my hunting spot for the opener (in the CNF), or I may camp at a campground nearby to shorten my trip out in the morning.

Also, depending on what/who you read or ask, you may get confusing info about the "Adventure Pass" to park in CNF. You do NOT. Need a pass if you are not using any improved facilities such as parking lots and campsites.
There are several threads on this topic, which goes back a ways. Here is the latest:
http://southerncaliforniahunting.com/huntersforum/index.php?topic=940

Make sure you check with the ranger district office too... some require a free "pass" and some do not.

I do it all the time. You'll need a permit, but that's about it. CNF really comes alive when no one is looking... between dusk and dawn. Enjoy it out there!

The 14 days only applies to each public campground. So you get 14 days at each one. You may need a wilderness pass to camp out in the forest (they are free) but you can camp anytime you like as often as you like, and yes they do like to know the area you will be in so if something happens and they need to find you they have an idea where to start searching.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu