Carp on the fly

Sdhunt17

Dec 25, 2017
San Marcos
Went to my first carp throwdown and finally caught my first carp on the fly. Was a little guy at 17 inches but what a great experience it was. Also picked off a few bass that seems to be pre spawning.

anyone who fly fishes here should join next year. lots of prizes and great food and friends. i ended winning a new fly sling pack and net with a few fly boxes and swag!

Very cool....What fly did you use?

ps....Here come the dough ball jokes.....lol
beaded wolley bugger with a little crystal flash. they are spawning and you can catch the as they head out after they do there dance.

if anyone want to say jokes the fly is on the carp by its nose. haha

Can you fly fish with bread balls or whole kernel corn? If so count me in!
Very cool that you caught those guys on the fly not many people flinging flys down here.

Reactions: Sdhunt17
Can you fly fish with bread balls or whole kernel corn? If so count me in!
Very cool that you caught those guys on the fly not many people flinging flys down here.
youd be suprised check out the sdfish fly fishing section.

Very cool. I know of a few places I'd love to see some carp taken on a fly.. huge goldfish out there.

Always wanted to learn to fly fish but never knew anyone that I could learn from.
youtube!
orvis guide to fly fishing
red fly shop

watched those to when i started to fly fish. also watched acouple of casting videos and just practiced.

Reactions: SurfNHuntSD
Very cool. I know of a few places I'd love to see some carp taken on a fly.. huge goldfish out there.

Always wanted to learn to fly fish but never knew anyone that I could learn from.

Jason,

Maybe we should have this as a topic at one of our NWTF meetings....We could fly cast in the parking lot at Kaminsky's...lol

ps....I was a fly casting instructor for Fenwick many years ago.

ps....This pic was taken in 1960...Flyfishing the Kern....Split bamboo Heddon rod, Bronson reel, willow stringer...;)

.scan057.jpg

Last edited:
Jason,

Maybe we should have this as a topic at one of our NWTF meetings....We could fly cast in the parking lot at Kaminsky's...lol

ps....I was a fly casting instructor for Fenwick many years ago.

ps....This pic was taken in 1960...Flyfishing the Kern....Split bamboo Heddon rod, Bronson reel, willow stringer...;)

.View attachment 39614

That is an awesome picture Steve!!

Last edited by a moderator:

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu